hacking the wiikey

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by indiraider, Apr 29, 2007.

Apr 29, 2007

hacking the wiikey by indiraider at 4:51 AM (1,569 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. indiraider
    OP

Newcomer indiraider Advanced Member

Well it seems that team Xeno, the makers of the wiikey, are waiting to release an update that will block out clones before fixing the problems that were promised to the consumer. I for one am sick and tired of waiting for the team to fix their problems while alienating legitimate customers like me and you. xiaNaix, mod at wiinewz, said he pleaded with them to release an update sooner but they refuse to do so. I was just thinking, what about we create unofficial wiikey firmware to fix the audio fix by possible porting over some open source code from wiifree??? Is the code on the wiikey encrypted? The wiikey needs to be updated and I'm sick of team Xeno.

2. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    I say they just release the damn firmware -- forget if it works on clones or not.

Basically, if it works on clones, great. If there are bugs because it's on a clone, the Wiikey creators cannot offer any support for any issues. Plain and simple. I think they're trying too hard to block out clones... wasn't there nothing to make the Wiikey 'unique' anyways?

3. kristijan08

Member kristijan08 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    I'm on Xeno's side too, but this whole battling the clones thing is just gettin a bit ridiculous now... ive recommended the wiikey to everyone but now im really starting to regret it, especially cause it seems more and more possible we will never see this "update"

4. dsbomb

Member dsbomb GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Check their news page now. They have some news on the update. They say it's not because of the clones, and that they don't intend to brick clone chips. But it's still "soon" for the update.

5. davewii

Newcomer davewii Member

United Kingdom
    the firmawre will address all problems e.g. audiofix and region compatabilty, but the unlucky people with clone keys will not be able to use this update

6. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    That is actually not for certain.

It is possible that the clones can use it, but whether or not it'll operate the way it should be is a different story, and the Xeno team cannot be held responsible for any issues with clones.

We'll find out soon enough [​IMG]

7. Redsquirrel

Member Redsquirrel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    chances of clones updating 99%

8. keypox

Newcomer keypox Newbie

United States

well think about this... what if you spent all the money trying to get a genuine chip but got a clone then you get a bricked wii because of it ? Man that would be messed up

9. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    If Xeno somehow manage to get an update that doesn't work on clones (I doubt it, the chips are very simple) it's not gonna brick your Wii.
    The update only adds some code to the WiiKey chip, it does not change any info on the Wii console.

I guess it's possible that a 'clone' chip (that isn't a true hardware/firmware clone) will be disabled by an update. That is the worst case scenario though, if so just take out the chip and buy another one from somewhere more reputable.