Hacked saves?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by drfsupercenter, Jul 12, 2008.

Jul 12, 2008

Hacked saves? by drfsupercenter at 6:42 PM (1,581 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. drfsupercenter
    OP

Member drfsupercenter Flash Cart Aficionado

United States
    Hi,

The Twilight Hack works by making Epona's name a really really long name that overloads the Wii, right?

In theory, could that be done with Wii Sports (so everyone can use it)? Changing the names would be stupid as it would crash when trying to use anything involving Miis.. but what about high scores? If you made the high score for some random event like 99^99, surely that would crash the Wii when trying to display it?

Would that work?

Or am I just one of those people who thinks big but has bad ideas?

2. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    Technically, nothing is impossible.
    It could possibly be done, but we already have a Twilight Hack and why go through the trouble?

3. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    I'm afraid that there's a little more to it than just crashing the Wii.

4. drfsupercenter
    OP

United States
    Because most of my friends don't have Twilight Princess and I have to keep loaning it out...

And seeing by all the people on this forum even who don't have it... it would be a better solution to make a hack for Wii Sports that everyone with a Wii would be able to use.

Of course, I couldn't do anything like this myself since I don't have the knowledge to decompose and re-compile save files... but maybe the people who made Twilight Hack should try something like that.

--EDIT--

Is the running a boot.elf file only characteristic of Twilight Princess? I know it has to boot from that file but I thought that was a Wii setting... but I could be wrong.

5. skawo96

Member skawo96 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United Kingdom
    A. How do you would add a stupidly long name to a Mii?
    B. Crashing a Wii is one thing and releasing the chainloader to work is second thing.

6. fabi280

Member fabi280 GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    The Authors sayed it can be transferred to every other game.
    But I think it would be in your case a WiisportsHack, because Twilight Hack is for The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess

7. linkinworm

Member linkinworm GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    well you would need the public key which no one has(or the shared key not sure what on) to sign it for the wii, and then you would need to add all the code to be able to load .elf files, im sure twiizer could do it, not the average person that that has never coded in C++ or ARM code

8. drfsupercenter
    OP

United States
    That's what I was getting it... I should ask Team Twiizer, as a Wii Sports hack would be awesome.

So you can tell it to run boot.elf for anything?

@skawo96, that's not the point. I said you WOULDN'T do that, since it would mess up the Mii channel too. I was saying you would make one of the high scores really really high.

9. linkinworm

United Kingdom
    no dont ask them it will just piss them off, there busy making pathched firmware for wii

10. Dr Eggman

Member Dr Eggman I am THE Eggman.

Canada
    Also, in addition to writing extra code, we'd first need to find an exploit,
    ie, Twilight Hack works by giving Epona (the horse) a REALLY long name, which crashes the Wii. In Wii Sports, we'd need to find something to exploit.

11. linkinworm

United Kingdom
    how about the stats? setting a varable to load a number too high for the wii to read might crash it. or maybe telling the wii to load a mii that doesnt exist in a loop might crash it, just a guess

12. Arm the Homeless

Member Arm the Homeless Custom Title

United States
    Or like all of the famous TIFF-exploits (Photo Channel, anyone?) you could tell the Wii to go to data that doesn't exist. Yeah, pretty much the Mii.

13. shadow1w2

Member shadow1w2 Still here.

United States
    As much as I'd like to not have to rent or borrow a friends Zelda:TP game, I think it's better off this way.
    This limits the hacking to just people who know what their doing or atleast somewhat.
    If nintendo got alot of poeple complaining about bricked Wiis due to homebrew they would be more encouraged to block it.
    Its all at a nice steady pace and Team Twiizer has done more than enough work as it is.

I say if someone else is willing to make a hack for another game, then all the power to em.
    Though everythings fine as it is, so theres no urgency.
    Dealing with limited copies of Zelda:TP isnt all that hard anyway. A small annoyance is more than worth the value of installing homebrew I say.

14. Jackreyes

Jackreyes Newbie

They'd obviously have tried Wii Sports first if it was a good candidate.
    Its not like they just picked Twilight Princess out of a hat, there was obviously a good reason for choosing this game, my guess is it was the first game with a flaw.

15. lolsjoel

Member lolsjoel GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    +1

16. CambridgeGuy

Member CambridgeGuy GBAtemp Regular

Ireland
    i'm sure team twiizers could manage this swith another game -- in fact, i'd wager they've found several games with similar flaws that could be exploited. but, they would be mad to release a hack that uses them...
    at the moment the twilight hack works. if nintendo manage to defeat it, then we can move on to the next game that team twiizers make a hack for. this cycle can go on for AGES, meaning we can use homebrew for ages.

however, if they released all the hacks for all the games in one go, then in one fell swoop, nintendo could block all of them, leaving us with no way of running homebrew.

17. Rykin

Member Rykin GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I think that nobody knows of any known hacks for WiiSports. I believe the reason Twilight Princess was choosen was due to the fact that at the time it was THE game that most Wii owners had when the hacking begun (and it had an exploitable flaw).

18. drfsupercenter
    OP

United States
    Yeah I'm just saying EVERYONE has Wii Sports and thus many more people could use it.

I have the Homebrew channel and everything... I'm just concerned for those people who don't have Twilight Princess [​IMG]