Hack Wii sensor bar?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hardware, Devices and Utilities' started by Coolperez8, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Coolperez8
    OP

Coolperez8 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    Hi, what I want to do is be able to turn on a Wii sensor bar with a simple switch instead of powering on the console, the reason for this is I have a Wii and Wii U, and I don't wanna have to turn one on and play with the other, so, do I just slice off the connector, hookup a 9 volt, or 3 volt, whichever is safer, to it, with an optional switch, and I'm good to go, or is it a bit different, and which one's positive and negative
    Edit: BTW today's my Birthday.

2. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    The sensor bar sends no info to the Wii what so ever. It only provides a medium for the remotes to orient themselves in

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  3. Supercool330

Supercool330 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 28, 2008
    United States
    I recommend leaving your official sensor bar intact, and then getting one of these usb powered sensor bars: http://amzn.com/B001UAAX60. If you have a newer TV, you can power it off of the (otherwise useless) USB port on the TV (and that way it won't draw power when the TV isn't on). If your TV doesn't have USB ports, you would have to come up with something more creative, or just use a wall adaptor and live with the fact that the sensor bar will always be on.

4. Coolperez8
    OP

Coolperez8 GBAtemp Regular

Mar 17, 2013
    United States
    I know, but what I want to do is be able to turn it on or off...

5. HNKii

HNKii GBAtemp Fan

Jan 28, 2014
    Switzerland
    Mario Kart Wii-DS Link Play Stadium
    BTW, has anyone tested the Voltage output that the Wii Outputs to the sensor Bar?
    I'm trying to hook up batteries onto the sensor bar and don't want to fry it.

6. w!!

w!! GBAtemp Regular

Apr 24, 2009
    United States
  7. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]

That's why you're ultimately going to want either a USB one that will turn off with your TV or a wireless one you can switch manually. The Wii and WiiU both disconnect power to the sensor bar when the console is turned off. As Bortz said, you don't need to switch anything between the consoles - the sensor bar provides zero data to the console whatsoever. The cable you're plugging in is purely to power it. The Wii Remote picks up the LEDs in the sensor bar and transmits that information back to the console through the remote's bluetooth connection.

I mean, alternatively, you could buy two, splice the second cable into the first one and have it plugged into both systems, but that's just getting silly...

I've powered a 6 LED (3 per side, aftermarket) one via +5v from USB with no issues. 10 LED official one may not light as well/at all but you won't damage anything. As far as the voltage the console outputs, I haven't measured that.

8. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    If you have 2 sensors, you could splice the 2 ends onto it (with diodes to make sure you're not sending power to the other machine). Plug one end into each machine so it comes on when you have one or the other on. The only problem is if you have both machines on simultaneously.

9. Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy Resident Mechanical Keyboard Addict

Global Moderator
    Jul 15, 2009
    United States
    [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
    Not a problem because you're not supplying additional voltage, just more amperage, which isn't going to make a difference.

Not that you'd have much of a reason to have both on anyway.

But like I said above, resorting to this is just silly.

10. hundshamer

hundshamer GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Blacklisted Trader
    May 22, 2009
    United States
    IMO there's no need for a Wii on the same TV as a WiiU, because of the vWii. I was just offering a solution for whatever his reason is.

11. oji

oji GBAtemp Regular

Sep 1, 2012
    Serbia, Republic of
    In Soviet Russia you're the Location
    For me the main reason of both consoles is the lack of GC-compatible controllers support on vWii. I can't play Active Life & Dance Dance Revolution (and probably Donkey Konga for GC, haven't tested yet) on Wii U.