Hacking Hack SXOS

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Memories melt in the morning light, and then, a new day begins. Roads stretch out before us. So many paths. Which do you choose? That's up to you. Sometimes, you might run astray. You'll stop, maybe cry in frustration. But, you know, that's all right. For the roads... They go on without end. So look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon... And just... walk on.
Poetry on gbatemp? Eh, why not?!

Allen-R

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Memories melt in the morning light, and then, a new day begins. Roads stretch out before us. So many paths. Which do you choose? That's up to you. Sometimes, you might run astray. You'll stop, maybe cry in frustration. But, you know, that's all right. For the roads... They go on without end. So look up, face forward, toward your chosen horizon... And just... walk on.
hehe 'horizon'

Reactions: binkinator

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im surprised this thread is still open lol. But I guess there some folks who haven't touched their hacked switch since 2018
and just missed out on everything.
Post automatically merged:

The only benefit of doing that would be to facilitate using mass storage for piracy. Anything that makes a pirate happy is going to come under fire from Nintendo, no matter how big or small it is. Then there's the other side of it that, SciresM the Atmosphere dev wants nothing to do with piracy whatsoever and is vehemently against it.

Consider this: if you installed a game to USB your Switch would have to remain docked in order to play it. Trying to lug around an HDD while in portable mode is not just cumbersome but battery-draining as well. That's when you start asking yourself if it was really worth the hassle you're going through vs just buying a bigger SD card.

One can argue mechanical HDD storage is cheap but once you drop it while fumbling around in portable mode you're f*cked. You could use an SSD but by that point you're starting to approach SD card prices. SD cards have dropped in price over the last few years and will continue to drop while getting bigger when it comes to capacity.
Having USB support is not a downgrade. A lot of CFW folks want that support especially if your from the older hacking scenes - PS4- PS3 - Wii - Wii U allowed us to load games from external storage. That not a single consideration its a viable option to treat the switch a home console with a collection of games. Plus we still can buy/use a 1TB SD card for games we want to play on the go. Idk why ppl think loading games from a USB makes your switch useless if you decided to go portable mode lol its just an added option to safe-keep our games when we are at home.

Last edited by MasterJ360,

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having USB support is not a downgrade.

No one suggested it is. Having games playable over USB the way TX was doing it is not going to be added to Atmosphere.

Idk why ppl think loading games from a USB makes your switch useless if you decided to go portable

No one said that either. I specifically said trying to do it in portable mode is a hassle and it's easier to just use a bigger SD card.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one suggested it is. Having games playable over USB the way TX was doing it is not going to be added to Atmosphere.

No one said that either. I specifically said trying to do it in portable mode is a hassle and it's easier to just use a bigger SD card.
"Consider this: if you installed a game to USB your Switch would have to remain docked in order to play it. Trying to lug around an HDD while in portable mode is not just cumbersome but battery-draining as well. That's when you start asking yourself if it was really worth the hassle you're going through vs just buying a bigger SD card"
Im referring to this quote which didn't make any sense. HDD usage is for when we are sitting at home if we wanted to play on the go we just simply undock the switch and play games on the SD card.... theres 0 hassle in any of this

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're purposely taking it out of context, if you don't understand it then don't worry about it. SXOS users know exactly what I'm talking about.
Thats the interesting thing of them all. I am an sxos user:wtf:.... had it since 2018. HDD loading as a portable option is clearly not used for that..... Installing games to a USB is pointless if the data can be just loaded from it. If thats what certain ppl want then then they dont understand how sxos works. A bigger SD card is their solution b/c you cant install games on a USB

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The conversation was about why XCI direct loading will not be added to Atmosphere and then changed to convincing the guy with the question to dual boot Atmosphere instead of wishing for that feature to be added. The guy with the question got the help he needed already, whatever you're going on about is irrelevant so don't care.

MasterJ360

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The conversation was about why XCI direct loading will not be added to Atmosphere and then changed to convincing the guy with the question to dual boot Atmosphere instead of wishing for that feature to be added. The guy with the question got the help he needed already, whatever you're going on about is irrelevant so don't care.
This entire thread and your statement on USB installation are irrelevant. I saw false info and I pointed it out, It was a bad take to justify using a SD card. Your evaluation to use a an external HDD for portable means is kinda silly.

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This entire thread and your statement on USB installation are irrelevant. I saw false info and I pointed it out, It was a bad take to justify using a SD card. Your evaluation to use a an external HDD for portable means is kinda silly.
And not to mention that the way TX made by mounting the XCI means you can totally simply copy paste the game from the HDD to the mSD if you know you want to play that "x" game portable. So a game on the external HDD while docked easily become portable and vice-versa easy and fast.

Which clearly mean you don't need a big mSD cause at home you can easily have TB's of HDD space full of games and they can become portable super fast by just moving them from the console it self while docked.

It would be pretty cool if someone did a XCI mounting app or a custom sysmodule for atmosphere and I don't even care cause I never used my switch docked a single time, never even tested since 2018 :D (but I can totally see the big advantages features wise)...

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
You guys have real problems. Who the heck thinks it is "portable" to have to connect a hdd first? Then rather i install everything on a big mSD (praise the DBI installer) and start playing immediately. And sd cards cost as good as nothing these days. Who wants to claim something else and says that the things are abnormally expensive, should change his priorities.

People cry about "overpriced" storage media, but in return they buy a new iphone or android smartphone almost every year. That baffles me...

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My friend has many 4TB and 1 8TB HDD all external for all consoles\PC, he indeed have one 4TB just for the switch which is connected to the dock.

And despite him having a crap slow and a bit overpriced 512GB mSD recently it's not the same thing cause before even with a few 128GB he was pretty happy cause he can copy paste any game from the HDD to the mSD the ones he want to play on that moment portable and then as soon as he gets home there's just all TB's of games in there ready and he can simply delete "X" game and copy others to the mSD all from within the console it self using the installer file explorer.

He got pretty disappointed not having that feature cause I recently installed atmosphere on his switch B-)

Somehow even tinfoil he told me is not even reading his Switch external USB HDD which is in exfat while docked, though maybe by now it might be working no idea... Via OTG for me I know it works at least to install\move\copy files\games...

ps: But then again I think he will be more than happy if he try Mission control so he can use his Xbox and Playstation controllers on the Switch... Guess he lose some and win others :grog:
:D

Last edited by guily6669,
Reactions: peteruk

MarkyFunkyBunch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is 6 months from the last post, I just screwed myself by deleting my boot.dat and license.dat files. So modchip will not run sxos or atmosphere (as far as I know). I tried several times to get the python script running but it just opens then close without doing anything. It seem to have problems with Crypto, maybe? Any suggestions on how to get this work would be a life saver. Thanks

error.png

mrdude

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
While this is 6 months from the last post, I just screwed myself by deleting my boot.dat and license.dat files. So modchip will not run sxos or atmosphere (as far as I know). I tried several times to get the python script running but it just opens then close without doing anything. It seem to have problems with Crypto, maybe? Any suggestions on how to get this work would be a life saver. Thanks

View attachment 369801
You need to install pycryptodome

pip install pycryptodome or pip3 install pycryptodome

Python is telling you you don't have the crypto modue installed.

Reactions: tabzer

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While this is 6 months from the last post, I just screwed myself by deleting my boot.dat and license.dat files. So modchip will not run sxos or atmosphere (as far as I know).
6 months later but maybe the two above have finally gotten it in their heads that USB support isn't coming to Atmosphere.

You can run Atmosphere just fine. Use the boot.dat from SX Gear and point the payload option in boot.ini to Hekate.

Last edited by raging_chaos,

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
I'm not sure if it was already asked but how does one go about installing SXOS for the first time ever? I'm probably doing something wrong or missing some files, here's what I've done so far:

1) On an empty SD card (I still had my Atmosphere hidden partition on it) I placed boot.dat file that I got from the guide in this thread and pushed the payload through Rekado. SXOS launched without problem.
2) I created an emuNAND and and waited for a while for it to finish. It finished successfully. (I guess that it removed my previous Atmosphere hidden partition?)
3) I went back to the home screen and selected Boot custom FW option, which created license-request.dat file, after which I followed the before-mentioned guide.
4) I successfully created new boot.dat and license.dat files and copied them over to the SD card.

Unfortunately, that's where I got stuck. If I try to launch SXOS, I do get the new splash screen, but my Switch boots into OFW, so I guess I'm missing some of the necessary files.
Can anyone help me? Do let me know if you need any more info, I'll do my best to reply.

EDIT: I tried running SX Installer v3.02 from hbmenu while on Atomsphere, but I get errors all the time, in applet mode (on both 11.0.0 and latest FW) as well as the other mode you access while launching an app while holding R button (tried only with latest FW, haven't checked on 11.0.0).

I'll take a break for now, I've been trying to figure this out for a while now with no luck. ^^

Last edited by Blythe93,

Blythe93

The Treasure Tracker
Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
If you hold the volume button when booting the payload it brings the menu up and make sure emunand is toggled on.
It's toggled on as far as I can tell. If I boot to custom FW, console just turns off. Before it used to boot into OFW, but that's because I left my phone attached to it via USB cable so the console started charging.

I'm not sure if it's relevant or not, but I've copied back my Atomsphere files back to the SD card while keeping boot.dat and license.dat in the root directory of the SD card. (Mainly because I wanted to see whether I need to run SX Installer through hbmenu.)

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong but is the SX Installer used to install something SX OS related or is it just for games / apps? If it's the later one, I've been doing the wrong stuff all along. :D (Forgive me, I'm new to Switch hacking scene.) Oh well, still can't make it to boot into CFW.

EDIT #2: Still no luck getting it to work. Not sure if it's relevant either, but my OFW is 15.0.1, I think (can't see the exact number since there's an update-available message).

Attachments

• photo_2023-06-14_20-56-01.jpg
    photo_2023-06-14_20-56-01.jpg
    262.3 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by Blythe93,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Metoroid0 @ Metoroid0: im more interested in metroid prime 4