Hacking Hack 5.5.2 with ONLY the web browser exploit?

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Searching around, there are different fórums saying different things....

Some say on 5.5.2 you need the virtual console game bought.

Others on 5.5.2 say that you can hack the console only with the browser exploit without the need to buy anything,.

Can someone please clear up which on is it?

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Others on 5.5.2 say that you can hack the console only with the browser exploit without the need to buy anything,.

You use the web browser to activate a exploit to load homebrew. After that you can inject a Homebrew enabler into a Nintendo DS virtual console game so you don't need to use the browser every time. The reason for it is cause the web browser exploit has a unknown accuracy of working meaning that it works SOMETIMES. Having the VC game injected with "HAXCHI" gets 100% guarantee homebrew enabler that the browser does not. :P

Long story short, Yes you can get homebrew for free with the web browser but it is easier by paying to download a virtual console DS game.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you can use just the internet browser. However, if you plan on loading homebrew often, Haxchi is recommended since the 5.5.2 browser isn't super reliable. You should play around with it and decide if the 5.5.2 browser exploit is reliable enough for you.

A lot of people load homebrew only a couple of times to install games to a USB drive. If that's the case for you, then you don't really need Haxchi if you're not going to use homebrew much.

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This for example is from a month ago: https://github.com/7ensinsWiiplaza/JSTypeHax

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You use the web browser to activate a exploit to load homebrew. After that you can inject a Homebrew enabler into a Nintendo DS virtual console game so you don't need to use the browser every time. The reason for it is cause the web browser exploit has a unknown accuracy of working meaning that it works SOMETIMES. Having the VC game injected with "HAXCHI" gets 100% guarantee homebrew enabler that the browser does not. :P

Long story short, Yes you can get homebrew for free with the web browser but it is easier by paying to download a virtual console DS game.
Yes, you can use just the internet browser. However, if you plan on loading homebrew often, Haxchi is recommended since the 5.5.2 browser isn't super reliable. You should play around with it and decide if the 5.5.2 browser exploit is reliable enough for you.

A lot of people load homebrew only a couple of times to install games to a USB drive. If that's the case for you, then you don't really need Haxchi if you're not going to use homebrew much.

I want to run backups (both Wii and Wii U) off a USB HDD to keep the original discs clean and safe.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to run backups (both Wii and Wii U) off a USB HDD to keep the original discs clean and safe.
Well first you need to prepare the SD card for homebrew, if you want to use haxchi for reliable homebrew experience, then buying a Nintendo DS virtual console game is recommended, I got one on discount in which was just lucky me. If not, then best of luck to you.

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well first you need to prepare the SD card for homebrew, if you want to use haxchi for reliable homebrew experience, then buying a Nintendo DS virtual console game is recommended, I got one on discount in which was just lucky me. If not, then best of luck to you.
So its undoable with just the browser exploit?

Just want to clear that up :)

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is what undoable? If you don't want haxchi anymore, you can simply delete it from the system menu like any other game installed on the system.
Maybe Im not making myself clear.

I want to run Wii and Wii U backup games off a USB HDD. AFAIK, in order to do that, I need a homebrew app that can load it off the USB HDD.

Before using any homebrew app, I need a custom firmware, which is what Haxchi is. The browser exploit allows me to install Haxchi on my Wii U where I can launch it and then use all my homebrew apps.

My question is that using just (AND ONLY) the browser exploit found on here https://github.com/7ensinsWiiplaza/JSTypeHax , can I exploit the Wii U, load Haxchi and run my backup games?

Thank you. I believe I have tried to make it as clear as possible on what my doubt/question is.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Wii and WiiU games can't share the same USB HDD.

If you want Wii games, then you need to hack the virtual Wii mode, and use a FAT32 drive. (unless you inject the ISO into a WiiU virtual console, but then you'll need CFW after every boot, that's NOT what you want)
if you want WiiU games, then you need to install games to either the internal WiiU memory or a WiiU formatted HDD.

Before using any homebrew app, I need a custom firmware, which is what Haxchi is.
No, you don't need a CFW or haxchi at all to use homebrew apps!

WiiU games do not ALWAYS require a custom firmware, and the browser exploit alone is enough to play many WiiU games.

You DO NOT NEED haxchi.
You DO NOT NEED CBHC.
You DO NOT NEED to buy a NDS game.
you can do everything from the browser hack, but like said it can be a little hard to trigger the exploit and you might have to try few times/reboot the console/retry/etc.
but once the exploit worked, you can install games.

You DO NOT (always) NEED the exploit to play the installed games !

As long as you install games the same region than your console, and the game exists as disc version, then you don't need the browser exploit anymore nor a CFW to play it.
If you want region free, DLC, eShop games, then you will need to run the exploit + a custom firmware (not necessarily haxchi, there are temporary ones, like "simple signature patcher") to install OR play the games.

Please, not wiiu.guide (missing things, forcing users to do unneeded things).
He wants to NOT install haxchi and only use the browser, why providing a guide to do exactly the thing he doesn't want?

Last edited by Cyan,

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe this can answer your question better than I can. https://wiiu.guide/
Ive seen this guide and its a bit unclear on if it can be done correctly.

Is this a physical or logical issue? What I mean by this is that can I make two partitions and then it will work?

If you want Wii games, then you need to hack the virtual Wii mode, and use a FAT32 drive.
if you want WiiU games, then you need to install games to either the internal WiiU memory or a WiiU formatted HDD.
Well, if needed, two HDDs will be used.

Ill use a larger one for the Wii U games as it uses Blu-ray

WiiU games do not ALWAYS require a custom firmware, and the browser exploit alone is anough to play many WiiU games.

You DO NOT NEED haxchi.
You DO NOT NEED CBHC.
You DO NOT NEED to buy a NDS game.
you can do everything from the browser hack, but like said it can be a little hard to trigger the exploit and you might have to try few times/reboot the console/retry/etc.
but once the exploit worked, you can install games.

You DO NOT (always) NEED the exploit to play the installed games !
This is pretty clear. All I want to do is install games and play them off a USB HDD. How can I do this?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
launch browser exploit
once in homebrew launcher, use WUP installer to install the game. choose internal (NAND) or external (USB) as destination.
that's all.
do the same for the game update. (NOT the DLC!)

if your game is same region, and that game exists as disc version, it's not linked to any specific consoleID and it means you can launch the game without any custom firmware enabled.

DLC or games existing only as Eshop version will require CFW first.

HDD is a logical issue (the WiiU formats and DELETES all partitions)

Last edited by Cyan,

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What everybody is trying to tell you is that you will need a stable entry point. Browserhax is not permanent so you would have to run it every time you want to perform a game install. We don't use a "game launcher" anymore. But you have to use either HaxChi or browserhax to install the game. After that you can play it from the Wii u menu just like you bought it from the eshop without the need to "hack" yuour Wii u.

On 5.5.2 you can either try your luck with browserhax every time you want to install a new game or you can bite the bullet and install HaxChi. Your life will be much simpler if you just install HaxChi. Read the noob guide and it will clear it up for you. Don't use wiiu.guide

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe this can answer your question better than I can. https://wiiu.guide/
Why would you do such a thing as to recommend that guide when 99% of people here are advising others not to use it??? Do you not like the OP????

I have said it before and i will say it again NOBODY AND I REPEAT NOBODY should be using that guide. It is full of missing steps or steps that are not required or steps that can lead to bricks. It does not explain why you are doing things ect ect ect.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you do such a thing as to recommend that guide when 99% of people here are advising others not to use it??? Do you not like the OP????

I have said it before and i will say it again NOBODY AND I REPEAT NOBODY should be using that guide. It is full of missing steps or steps that are not required or steps that can lead to bricks. It does not explain why you are doing things ect ect ect.
I am not aware of this issue, but lucky there is alternative. https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki

Maybe you can answer a question for me, if it is flawed, why is it even available in the first place if people is not to use it?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
many things are available on internet, anyone can make a website.
that doesn't mean it's good, useful or people should listen to what's written.

Flimflam guide is worse! it makes the user setup redNAND and install hacks without asking if the user need it. Plus, it's for 5.5.1, not 5.5.2
If I don't mistaken, flimflam guide was the base to wiiu.guide (so it's the older version of wiiu.guide).
please, don't provide it. at least, wiiu.guide's authors have been trying to fix their mistakes. (they made efforts! we can't deny that, but still not enough).
if you had to pick one from both, suggest wiiu.guide.

Kafluke's guide is currently the best (as far as we know, maybe there are another one even better we are not aware of).
Kafluke's guide has been written and rewritten many times, based on user's reports and their difficulties to understand or follow it. it's in constant update, and is more a "community's guide" than kaluke's.

Last edited by Cyan,

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I am not aware of this issue, but lucky there is alternative. https://github.com/FlimFlam69/WiiUTutorial/wiki

Maybe you can answer a question for me, if it is flawed, why is it even available in the first place if people is not to use it?
Because it is the internet and you can pretty much post any old shit to it.

My main problem with the guide is it does not do what every good guide does and that is to follow the rules of HWD. What is HWD you ask well it is HOW/WHY/DONT.

1) How is self explanatory basically what you need to do.

2) Why explains why you have done something and what will it achieve

3)Dont this is super important in any hacking guide it tells you what not to do and any dangers you may incure from doing things you have been told not to do.

wiiu.guide does not do that it just tells you how. If people dont know about the whys and the donts then that just massively increases the risk of them doing something stupid and bricking their machine.

Last edited by AmandaRose,

riahc3

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, then, basing off this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-noob-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.451297/ and only this...

1: I do NOT need to buy a Nintendo DS virtual console game (it is not in the WHAT YOU'LL NEED section)
2: Since I do not want to spend x dollars, BrowserHax (which from Googling, I found to be this: https://github.com/WiiUTest/JsTypeHax ) will work for me. Apache on a CentOS VM, put everything in the web root folder, open port 80, and using the Wii U browser, access it
3: This: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wup-installer-gx2/ I can install this as a channel, open it up each time I need to install a game, and done
4: Since I MIGHT want to install DLC for backup games, I need to decide installing Mocha CFW or HaxChi. By popular demand, Ill install HaxChi which I should be able to install with the BrowserHax

This is what I picked off the guide.

Kafluke

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, then, basing off this: https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-noob-guide-to-wii-u-hacking.451297/ and only this...

1: I do NOT need to buy a Nintendo DS virtual console game (it is not in the WHAT YOU'LL NEED section)
2: Since I do not want to spend x dollars, BrowserHax (which from Googling, I found to be this: https://github.com/WiiUTest/JsTypeHax ) will work for me. Apache on a CentOS VM, put everything in the web root folder, open port 80, and using the Wii U browser, access it
3: This: https://sourceforge.net/projects/wup-installer-gx2/ I can install this as a channel, open it up each time I need to install a game, and done
4: Since I MIGHT want to install DLC for backup games, I need to decide installing Mocha CFW or HaxChi. By popular demand, Ill install HaxChi which I should be able to install with the BrowserHax

This is what I picked off the guide.
All correct except #3. You'll have to run browserhax EVERY time before you can run the WUP Installer channel because it is homebrew

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I use to have a guy for that thanks richard