Hacking GW multirom demo

ajalcoba

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You are right. Probably, that day it's not going to check for something in particular to brick the device. That date, for sure, is going to enable WiFi and download a copy of "Hello Kitty island" ...

My point being: Who the fuck knows what that check is going to do?! All you need to know is that they already implemented brick code. What makes you think they won't do it again that particular date? Whatever it does, the odds are it's another brick code.

Mr_Pichu

かわいいね!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a second check, that hasn't been activated yet. On February 4th, the chance of your console bricking on legitimate Gateway and clone firmware will essentially double.
This so distressing! What horrors await us on 02/04??? It is like playing Professor Layton in real life! There are so many plot twists and turns. How will the story end?

condiczek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm just reiterating what's right fucking above your post.

Thanks for the compliment, though. ;)
That was not compliment, that was ironic.
Add word "MAYBE" to your prediction, and I will not give a shit about it.
If you need to repeat after someone else, then do it right.

That date, for

sure, is going to enable WiFi and download a copy of "Hello Kitty island" ...

Awesome, can't wait!

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As nice as this looks, I'm getting tired of this "support the innovators, not the imitators" crap. If you really wanted to do that, you'd BUY your games. You're still paying some shady guys with no morals (considering A. they make money off piracy and B. the whole bricky thing) for something that's illegal in quite a few countries anyway.

^^^ this, gateway has always made me laugh with that line.
The innovators are the game companies. And they are getting smug lately too.

samljer

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Regardless of your feelings on the matter, they are the innovators when it comes to the 3DS scene. They never said they made the games. Just that they made the firmware which runs the games.

But technically, using the hacks of others?
they didnt find the 2 exploits, still... not innovators.
no matter how you slice your bread.

Reactions: setsuya

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Add word "MAYBE" to your prediction, and I will not give a shit about it.

I won't, because anything involving a timer in Gateway's code couldn't possibly be used for something helpful to its users.

They were the first one's to find a legitimate use for the exploits, though. Who knows where we'd be now without the "launcher.dat" breakthrough.

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

And what was being done with those exploits up until Gateway? Nothing.

Only once Gateway released their loader did we start getting stuff.

Reactions: Huntereb

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
That's a DS mode exploit. No, they didn't find that. That doesn't diminish everything they've built in 3DS mode on top of that. No need to feign ignorance.

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
No. There is a separate ARM9 possibly even an ARM7 as well. Obviously you know nothing so stop spreading crap.

Where are the separate arm9 and arm 7 - can you post a pic of the mainboard and a red arrow pointing to these extra cpus?

Can you link to any document which backs up your claim?

There is plenty of info online about the 3DS hardware and everything I have seen says there is just a dual-core ARM11 - so it will be interesting to know where your information comes from [expects bullshit reply]

Also it wouldn't make economic sense to have extra physical cpus - 3DS mode (Dual-core ARM11) never needs to operate at the same time as DS Mode (single core ARM9 & ARM7) BUT a dual-core ARM11 can operate as two single core ARM9 and ARM7 cpus - since ARM11 is backwards compatible with ARM9 and ARM7.

CPUID maybe returns armv5 identifier in DS mode and armv6 string in 3DS mode.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
Where are the separate arm9 and arm 7 - can you post a pic of the mainboard and a red arrow pointing to these extra cpus?

Can you link to any document which backs up your claim?

There is plenty of info online about the 3DS hardware and everything I have seen says there is just a dual-core ARM11 - so it will be interesting to know where your information comes from [expects bullshit reply]

Also it wouldn't make economic sense to have extra physical cpus - 3DS mode (Dual-core ARM11) never needs to operate at the same time as DS Mode (single core ARM9 & ARM7) BUT a dual-core ARM11 can operate as two single core ARM9 and ARM7 cpus - since ARM11 is backwards compatible with ARM9 and ARM7.

CPUID maybe returns armv5 identifier in DS mode and armv6 string in 3DS mode.
The ARM9 is inside the SOC's die containing the ARM11 cores and the AES/RSA hardware (which the way isn't shown in any public documentations either, which according to your logic would suggest it doesn't exist and that the crypto operations are performed out of thin air...).
It's not lying as another chip visible on the motherboard, so you can't just take "pics" of it.
The fact that you haven't considered this shows that you know nothing about SOC architectures.

About CPUID, as if Nintendo (or whoever designed that SOC for them) was about to alter ARM base registers specifications just for you...

As to why they'd spend cash on a real ARM9 core, maybe you ought to consider that those draw a lot less power than it's ARM11 counterpart. (Remember, this is a handheld platform running on a battery), This would have many benefits such as handling specific functionalities at a reduced power consumption while in sleep mode (streetpass anyone?) Or running security management physically separated from the ARM11 cores while having it run simultaneously if required.
Other than that, your guess is as good as mine, although it doesn't change that fact that it's there. You can post whatever you like, at the of the day, there is still an ARM9 core that shows as such on the 3DS using the cpuid registers on top of which you can run instructions.

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
"Cite your sources." Normmatt is the source.
The sites you cite only do shallow, brief analysis intended for non-techie consumption. They don't spend the countless hours, days, weeks, wading deep into the hardware learning all of its secrets the way guys like Normmatt and Mathieulh do.

Yeah, and then "release" a dangerous version of launcher.dat (Well, Normmatt has become defensive and claims it was only ever intended for IRC community ( !?) - yeah that always works)

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
The ARM9 is inside the SOC's die containing the ARM11 cores and the AES/RSA hardware (which the way isn't shown in any public documentations either, which according to your logic would suggest it doesn't exist and that the crypto operations are performed out of thin air...).
It's not lying as another chip visible on the motherboard, so you can't just take "pics" of it.
The fact that you haven't considered this shows that you know nothing about SOC architectures.

About CPUID, as if Nintendo (or whoever designed that SOC for them) was about to alter ARM base registers specifications just for you...

Oh, right, so where's the ARM7 then, this is needed to play legacy DS games, as I'm sure you know?

Answer - you don't know, nobody knows, it's a mystery!

NO IT ISN'T - DS Mode uses the dual core arm11 as two separate single core arm9 and arm7 cpus.

How do I know this - Occam's razor - the japanese aren't stupid.

mathieulh

Trophies
Website
keybase.io
XP
Country
France
Oh, right, so where's the ARM7 then, this is needed to play legacy DS games, as I'm sure you know?

Answer - you don't know, nobody knows, it's a mystery!

NO IT ISN'T - DS Mode uses the dual core arm11 as two separate single core arm9 and arm7 cpus.

How do I know this - Occam's razor - the japanese aren't stupid.

Or the ARM7 could be there and physically disabled until a special purpose register is set. (It's not like it'd be needed for 3DS code)
Or you could have a physical ARM9 and an ARM11 core running the ARM7 instructions... (this kind of stupid speculation can go on forever) the truth is you don't know, even though everything is pointing to the PHYSICAL presence of an ARM9 cpu on the device. I think I will stick to that version until proven otherwise.

Reactions: wiewcw

escherbach

Trophies
XP
Country
Or the ARM7 could be there and physically disabled until a special purpose register is set. (It's not like it'd be needed for 3DS code)
Or you could have a physical ARM9 and an ARM11 core running the ARM7 instructions... (this kind of stupid speculation can go on forever) the truth is you don't know, even though everything is pointing to the PHYSICAL presence of an ARM9 cpu on the device. I think I will stick to that version until proven otherwise.

Nintendo SOC design meeting:

"We want a spiffing dual core arm11 because those simd instructions are really lovely and single core is just wrong - BUT ... we also need to run old DS games ... any chance of squeezing in a couple of extra cores - we don't want that horrid dirty old DS code running on the shiny new arm11 cores - no, let's increase production costs by whatever it takes - just keep that dirty DS code away from the arm11 cores."

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a second check, that hasn't been activated yet. On February 4th, the chance of your console bricking on legitimate Gateway and clone firmware will essentially double.

So set your system to think it's 2012 or something if you're that paranoid.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Always Coca-Cola!