Hacking [GUIDE] Upgrading 8.1.0-0J to 9.2.0-20J

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
SO all I got to do is install 3.2 with my cubic ninja then follow the steps and I am good to go?
What steps are you referring to?

I think it would be a good idea if you tell us what you think you need to do, then if there's anything you're missing we can point it out. if you do something wrong you could end up updating to 10.3

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What steps are you referring to?

I think it would be a good idea if you tell us what you think you need to do, then if there's anything you're missing we can point it out. if you do something wrong you could end up updating to 10.3
1) Download the cia (done)
2) download sysupdater(done)
3) Install ninjhax (which version though)
4) Update sysnand
5) Profit ???

Edit: I will not be using ntr but instead sysupdater

Last edited by BurningDesire,

Tokiopop

Caffeine fiend
Trophies
XP
Country
I guess I can use gateway right or pasta, or reinand
Are you even reading anything... you were told last page that GW would cause a brick if you try update sysnand.

The only option is the method in this thread, which is to host your own SOAP responses and the firmware files and use NTR debugger. Think about it, would there have been over 30 pages on this topic if we could have just done it with sysupdater?

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you even reading anything... you were told last page that GW would cause a brick if you try update sysnand.

The only option is the method in this thread, which is to host your own SOAP responses and the firmware files and use NTR debugger. Think about it, would there have been over 30 pages on this topic if we could have just done it with sysupdater?
I guess not. I am sorry for wasting you time. Back to server scripting shit D:

forbidden403

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
How can I contact Ronhero? I need his service because running server is too complicated for me.
I tried to pm him but his recent activity status shows "Never".
Or anybody provide same service? I live in Thailand so sending my console to update is impossible. Anyone can help me?

Frelia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
(Edit: Actually, shit, should I have made a new thread for this post?)

I tried to make this guide as foolproof as possible. Criticism appreciated. Credit to Syphurith for the original (kind of not foolproof) guide, yifanlu for the original method, cell9 for NTR, smea for ninjhax, 3dsguy/ps3hen for make_cdn_cia, and yellows8 for the SOAP response things yadda yadda whatever. Backup paste for the guide: http://pastebin.com/G3S2XiWM

UPDATING STOCK 8.1.0-0J N3DS TO 9.1.0-20J

REQUIREMENTS
1. The Offline Server Update Pack: https://mega.nz/#!sUEgjYbB!Ta1-flm-SwUZTodv9BJM3gyUQdaMUEf9IJKlAj6428I
2. A JP Cubic Ninja copy, or a Sky3DS with JP Cubic Ninja on it.
3. A PC with Windows on it. If you're running any other OS, you should be able to adapt this shit to your own machine.
4. A stock New 3DS, with 8.1.0-0J firmware.
5. A legitimate 9.2.0-20J update pack for New3DS. (Google "mset 4.x 6.x backups") It should contain a few cia files.

SETTING UP YOUR COMPUTER'S UPDATE SERVER
1. Install Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio 2015. Go to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49984 and pick vc_redist.x86.exe.
2. Install Python 2.7. Go to https://www.python.org/downloads/release/python-2710/ and pick Windows x86 MSI installer.
3. Unzip the Update Pack somewhere. Copy the cia files from your 9.2.0-20J update pack into the UniServerZ/www/updates folder, which should contain a node.exe application and a CdnCiaUnpack.js.
4. Delete 000400102002CA00.cia.
5. Run an Administrator Command Prompt (Windows 8+ users, hit Win+X), and navigate to the UniServerZ/www/updates folder. Type in "node cdnciaunpack.js". It should say "All CIAs unpacked", and give you a bunch of folders with a GetSystemUpdate.partial.xml file.
Example if your folder is "D:\3DSUpdate\UniServerZ\www\updates" and you started in "C:\Windows\System32", you would type in:
D:
cd 3dsupdate\uniserverz\www\updates
node cdnciaunpack.js

6. Run UniController.exe in the UniServerZ folder. Don't enter any password (press cancel). Hit Start Apache.
7. Go to the menu > Apache > Access and Passwords > Folder www access and passwords > Apache Server Access > Select Local, Intranet and Internet Access.

SETTING UP YOUR N3DS
8. Clear all pending update data by booting your N3DS into Recovery Mode. Hold A+R+L+Up(DPad) when hitting the power button. Then exit immediately.
9. Copy ntr.bin from the NTR folder into your N3DS's SD card.
10. Boot up Cubic Ninja. Clear your save data if needed with L+R+X+Y at the main menu, then go into QR Code entry at the main menu. Scan JAPAN.png.
11. You should be back at the main menu. Hit X+Y to go into the NTR menu and start the debugger.
12. Find out your PC and N3DS's IP addresses through your router. They should start with "192.168."

UPDATING YOUR N3DS
13. Start the NTR Debugger ntrclient.exe, and connect with the following command. It should say "Connected" afterwards.
connect('YOUR_3DS_IP_HERE',8000)
14. Run the following command to check that the nim process is under 0x00000025. If it's not, then replace the "pid" number of the write commands in step 15 with the appropriate number.
listprocess()
15. Run the following commands on the debugger. They should say "null" and "finished" afterwards.
write(0x15E424, tuple(map(ord, “http://YOUR_PC_IP_HERE:8080/\0″)), pid=0x25)
write(0x15E0EC, tuple(map(ord, “http://YOUR_PC_IP_HERE:8080/\0″)), pid=0x25)
write(0x15E463, tuple(map(ord, “http://YOUR_PC_IP_HERE:8080/\0″)), pid=0x25)

16. Go to System Settings and update normally. At the end, it restarts, and you'll be running a 9.1.0-20J N3DS.

Last edited by Frelia,

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Thanks for translating that guide.
However would you translate a little more, including a simple FAQ, and use the newer index.php? Thanks very much.
I assume you've already know where to find the thread. bbs.duowan.com/thread-44059236-1-1.html
1.The FAQ is there the 5th post of the thread, beginning with text "ADDONS".
Those are some problems and the solutions correspondingly. Hope it helps. However it seems to be seldom read orz.
2.The newer index.php can also reply the request to contest.nintendowifi.net in ac. There the 40th post.
Why replace this url? Well.. otherwise it may stuck at 90% for someone.
Hope the story of the sh*tty 8.1.0 could be terminated in such a way.

Reactions: daxtsu

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
I've got a new way that don't need to load NTR at all now.
Related tools are in another thread: http://gbatemp.net/threads/poc-removing-update-nag-on-emunand.399460/page-7#post-5879369
With the tools you can unpack, decompress, modify, and compress and pack all those stuff back.
So once you can get a .CIA/.CXI/.APP of what you want to modify you can build a already patched .CIA/.CXI for that.
Unfortunately there would not be any nim or ac modules CIA for N8.1.0 that the released version.
With already patched version of nim and ac you can simply use the server, and no SKY/CubicNinja or NTR is needed then.

Well: I forget to know about if you can install the patched nim and ac directly to GW sysNAND.. @d0k3.

Last edited by Syphurith,

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
FYI, if you have update blocks (in your router or firewall), you need to disable them before this method will work.
Also, if you are not sure if your update setup is correct, you can try NTR in GW Emunand.

Just curious to know why you would need to remove these blocks, if it's supposed to run via a private server? Or is there something else needed?

I'm in the process of doing this private update server and my 3DS kept throwing an error out on my 8.1 Jp n3ds when I tried to update with this method. I removed the Nintendo update URLS for the 3DS and WiiU from my Router and updated a emunand on another o3ds, so I knew the connection worked.

However, I don't want to risk this again on the n3ds in case I update from 8.1 to 10.3 official.

I thought that doing a private server using your local PC IP address (in my case 192.168.1.5) and the 3DS using 192.168.1.8 it wouldn't interfere with blocked Nintendo URLS because it's not directing the information via that?

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
Just curious to know why you would need to remove these blocks, if it's supposed to run via a private server? Or is there something else needed?

I'm in the process of doing this private update server and my 3DS kept throwing an error out on my 8.1 Jp n3ds when I tried to update with this method. I removed the Nintendo update URLS for the 3DS and WiiU from my Router and updated a emunand on another o3ds, so I knew the connection worked.

However, I don't want to risk this again on the n3ds in case I update from 8.1 to 10.3 official.

I thought that doing a private server using your local PC IP address (in my case 192.168.1.5) and the 3DS using 192.168.1.8 it wouldn't interfere with blocked Nintendo URLS because it's not directing the information via that?
I think you should wait until the newer kernel exploits come out, and then you can get, for example, Girls mode 3 which has 9.5 update, then use the exploit to downgrade to 9.2.

This update server method is just too unreliable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/fRENPoVaZHk?si=0xgCyaSVzuc5GD5F