Tutorial TN and IPS Displays - Which does my 3DS have?

Which model do you have?

• 2DS + TN

Votes: 33 3.5%
  • 2DS + IPS

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • O3DS + TN

Votes: 92 9.6%
  • O3DS + IPS

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • O3DSXL + TN

Votes: 67 7.0%
  • O3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • N3DS + TN

Votes: 106 11.1%
  • N3DS + IPS

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • N3DSXL + TN

Votes: 144 15.1%
  • N3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 270 28.2%
  • 2DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS XL + Dual IPS

• N3DS + Dual IPS

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • N3DSXL + Dual IPS

Votes: 150 15.7%
  • N2DSXL + TN

Votes: 40 4.2%
  • N2DSXL + IPS

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

kllr007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
In my country Also have only N3DSXL and 2DSXL.
I have XL but it isn't comfortable for me so I want looking for regular N3DS and nowhere to find. After a days of searching I found only two forgotten pieces at local store. Today I'm going to pick it, but I don't care about TN vs IPS, I would be happy with good color and white calibration.
(Current N3DSXL have TN )

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden

drojman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, it's one I'm looking to buy so I can't load it on there unfortunately, but I'm confident enough it's a dual IPS.

I know serial numbers aren't meant to mean that much, but it seems the Hyrule ones that start with QW11 have a very high chance of dual IPS.

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks, it's one I'm looking to buy so I can't load it on there unfortunately, but I'm confident enough it's a dual IPS.

I know serial numbers aren't meant to mean that much, but it seems the Hyrule ones that start with QW11 have a very high chance of dual IPS.
AFAIK serials starting with QW11 are US systems arn't they? UK/European serials start with QEF/QEH.
I would be interested in knowing if you manage to find a UK/European N3DS XL with dual IPS screens. I have only ever managed to find N3DS XL models with IPS top screens, and all the European standard N3DS I have seen appear to have dual TN screens.

D

Deleted User

on my old 3ds xl there are 2 TN screens. on my both new 3ds xl's (blue and black) the upper screen is IPS and the bottom screen is TN. it's easy to know with one you have when you have old and new 3ds.

D

Deleted User

sorry. i accidentally send the same message multiple times. blame my stupid mouse.

Last edited by ,

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You should let us vote multiple options.
I have an o3DS TN/TN, an o3DSXL TN/TN, and a N2DSXL TN/TN. I have terrible luck.
You can also use 3DSident to check, it'll report for top and bottom, along with many other useful specs.
Yeah, I also have 3 3DS's and would like to vote for all of them

Reactions: SirNapkin1334

drojman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
AFAIK serials starting with QW11 are US systems arn't they? UK/European serials start with QEF/QEH.
I would be interested in knowing if you manage to find a UK/European N3DS XL with dual IPS screens. I have only ever managed to find N3DS XL models with IPS top screens, and all the European standard N3DS I have seen appear to have dual TN screens.

You're absolutely right. The one I'm looking at is an import. With regards to European ones I haven't a clue of what to look for in terms of a pattern in serial numbers, the only thing I've ever seen that has seems to have more chance is the QW11 series in America.

It is possible to get a dual IPS in Europe though, I have owned one, the too and bottom screens had extremely mismatched calibration though so I passed it on.

I've heard of a few pearl whites being dual IPS too, I would assume that since the orange ones came out the same times it's also possible.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone have a n2DSXL with any IPS? Because I used to have a different n2DSXL, but I broke the screen but got it replaced under extended warranty, and that one was dual TN, and my new one is dual TN. Also, both of them had precisely the exact same bonus drive size, which doesn't make any sense since if you have it at all it can vary hugely in size.

drojman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone have a n2DSXL with any IPS? Because I used to have a different n2DSXL, but I broke the screen but got it replaced under extended warranty, and that one was dual TN, and my new one is dual TN. Also, both of them had precisely the exact same bonus drive size, which doesn't make any sense since if you have it at all it can vary hugely in size.

I've never heard of a 2DS with an IPS screen.

Reactions: SirNapkin1334

drojman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the advice earlier guys. Scored what for me is a pretty much perfect console. Mint condition Hyrule edition 3DS, with dual IPS screens and even a great hinge.

I know they say there's no correlation for Serial numbers, but I'm sure QW11 consoles have a higher chance.

SirNapkin1334

Renound Aritst
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the advice earlier guys. Scored what for me is a pretty much perfect console. Mint condition Hyrule edition 3DS, with dual IPS screens and even a great hinge.

I know they say there's no correlation for Serial numbers, but I'm sure QW11 consoles have a higher chance.
You mean *W11 right? The first letter depends on the model (o3DS, o3DSXL, etc).

drojman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry for the double post.

Out of interest my old N3DSXl was one I cracked the LCD in. I replaced the screen with a third party screen.

Can anyone tell me if this is a normal amount of ghosting/blur for a TN screen? Seems pretty extreme to me.
https://streamable.com/ie3t3

Modsy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TN or IPS? Help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• ips or tn.png
    ips or tn.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 330
  • ips or tn 2.png
    ips or tn 2.png
    41.5 KB · Views: 345
  • ips or tn 3.png
    ips or tn 3.png
    60 KB · Views: 318
  • ips or tn 4.png
    ips or tn 4.png
    39.8 KB · Views: 343

drojman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Almost certainly TN IMO.

By the way, I'm convinced that Hyrule 3DS' that start with QW11 are almost exclusively IPS. I've never seen one that isn't and I was so confident I ordered one off of ebay from the US to the UK and it was. Now I don't want to say it's 100% but I'm reasonably confident it's the case.

If anyone has anything different I'd love to know.

drojman

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I know it's possible, I read reviews on amazon.de and they claim to have had them. I had one and also a pearl white, which is from the same release period and they were both dual TN.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So negative