Tutorial TN and IPS Displays - Which does my 3DS have?

Which model do you have?

• 2DS + TN

Votes: 33 3.5%
  • 2DS + IPS

Votes: 6 0.6%
  • O3DS + TN

Votes: 92 9.6%
  • O3DS + IPS

Votes: 18 1.9%
  • O3DSXL + TN

Votes: 67 7.0%
  • O3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 17 1.8%
  • N3DS + TN

Votes: 106 11.1%
  • N3DS + IPS

Votes: 22 2.3%
  • N3DSXL + TN

Votes: 144 15.1%
  • N3DSXL + IPS

Votes: 270 28.2%
  • 2DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS + Dual IPS

• O3DS XL + Dual IPS

• N3DS + Dual IPS

Votes: 31 3.2%
  • N3DSXL + Dual IPS

Votes: 150 15.7%
  • N2DSXL + TN

Votes: 40 4.2%
  • N2DSXL + IPS

Votes: 8 0.8%

• Total voters

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Also, just for the instance, since 2DSes only have a single screen for both the top and the bottom, how are single-IPS 2DSes possible? :P
It's supposed to mean dual TN/IPS. Should probably update the poll options to reflect that.
Edit: Never mind, can't rewrite pre-existing options.

Last edited by NekoMichi,
Reactions: lAkdaOpeKA

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Do you think the screens are IPS or TN?

Attachments

• 79C27B38-4550-4FC6-999E-F1066B219375.png
    79C27B38-4550-4FC6-999E-F1066B219375.png
    306.7 KB · Views: 459

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In case you have custom firmware, you can eliminate the guess work by using 3DSident.
I think he was looking for an used one since he was on the setup screen

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Do you think the screens are IPS or TN?
if you want to know without modding it you can follow my instructions to compare it to mine

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he was looking for an used one since he was on the setup screen
Ah, image context matters. It's too bad IPS panels are rare to see at store kiosks these days. Over at the US, they too off all the N3DSXL demo units. Some people won't know what they're looking for unless they've seen it person (online pictures can only do so much).

In the possible unlikely chance @jellybeangreen2 has a trusty flashcart and is a secret NTRboot fairy, then use 3Dsident!

lAkdaOpeKA

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Ah, image context matters. It's too bad IPS panels are rare to see at store kiosks these days. Over at the US, they too off all the N3DSXL demo units. Some people won't know what they're looking for unless they've seen it person (online pictures can only do so much).

In the possible unlikely chance @jellybeangreen2 has a trusty flashcart and is a secret NTRboot fairy, then use 3Dsident!
I myself tought my older N3DS was IPS too because the viewing angles didn't look bad, but it turned out it was TN :P

Last edited by lAkdaOpeKA,

xenon51

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shenanigans lottery loot box like this is what I dread as a consumer. Finally saved enough money to buy new n3ds xl and now have to accept the fate of being a sucker with TN screens ... making me feel inadequate, treated unfairly, and want to smash this s**t to pieces with a hammer.

SG6000

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Shenanigans lottery loot box like this is what I dread as a consumer. Finally saved enough money to buy new n3ds xl and now have to accept the fate of being a sucker with TN screens ... making me feel inadequate, treated unfairly, and want to smash this s**t to pieces with a hammer.

This post makes me feel a bit sad.

You really won't be any kind of sucker with the regular TN panels. The vast majority of the units out there are dual TN and they're generally fine. And the blacks and dark details won't be crushed on them.

Chances are (in my experience) that the screens will be better calibrated with eachother than if the unit was a single or dual IPS version, and I think this a sorely underrated characteristic of the non-rare, pure TN panels.

Your machine will honestly be no less awesome for being a normal one.

I came across a bottom IPS unit once, and the calibration was so off between the panels it really looked a bit hideous.

Your machine will likely be ace.

NekoMichi

Retro Collector
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Honestly, the quality of the game you're playing will have more of an impact on your experience than the screen model.

kllr007

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovakia
Don’t be sad, TN isn’t that bad as some users saying... I have TN and I wanted IPS but it’s not a game changer, I love my N3DS ... Just enjoy your games

Reactions: cvskid

jellybeangreen2

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to have IPS N3DSXL, sold it ages ago. But then managed to get N3DS cheap! And a brand new N3DSXL also, really cheap. The fact both are TN. This isn’t a game changer. I wouldn’t pay more for IPS. I’d be paying a lot nore if I did and it’s not worth it!

Reactions: xenon51

Mast3rmind

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone know where i can get an IPS top screen for an original 3DS XL (NOT A NEW 3DS XL)?
My screen is cracked and I'm on the hunt for a new one and I want to see if i can get an IPS screen.

LVG

Trophies
XP
Country
France
recently got a used blue metallic N3DSXL to experiment with CFW and play multiplayer games with my son (who's had a Pokemon N2DSXL for two or three years now); when I read about the screen debate I checked the info with 3DSident, it turned out to be a dual TN screens one (couldn't find dual TN N3DSXL in the vote on the thread's first page); oh well it works ok and I managed the CFW install, and I keep learning all the time so pretty happy.
I just happen to have another boy who's younger, but he knows he wants a console like his brother so I give him mine to experiment with me. But the prospect of doing multiplayer with the two of them made me want to get a third system, also used and as cheap as I can get. I found another blue metallic N3DSXL, and immediately installed CFW. I expected dual TN as well but found out that one has dual IPS ; go figure, maybe it's a more recent unit.
Anyway it's a real gamble and it must be difficult for people who absolutely want IPS; I still use the first one I got more, I'm still in the learning curve but I really enjoy it!

Reactions: NekoMichi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto