Hacking Guide - How to convert YouTube videos to Game Boy Advance ROM files

hitfan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I converted some old 1960s Spider-Man cartoon episodes yesterday. I tried to convert 25 of them, but only 16 worked properly (9 of them had video-audio sync issues or the sound would cut out completely about a quarter of the way through--the latter issue occurring only on the longer videos). For the 10 minute « half episodes » I encoded it at 8fps and 46KBps and for the 20 minute « full episodes » I encoded it at 5fps and 18KBps. I used a resolution of 214 by 160 (which is 4:3). I used no filtering because I found that the chances of having a good file were better that way. All of the episodes use close to 32MB in file size.

I didn’t have to use gbafix.exe as the resulting ROMs work fine on my Everdrive. *** EDIT but I ended up doing that because they wouldn’t work on my 3DS (in AGB FIRM).

Last edited by hitfan,

NumberOneToastFan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So i tried convert TaDC, it won't work, actaully all video longer than 15 mins wont work it justs shows this
1704157839634.png

Last edited by NumberOneToastFan,

TonioGela

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, has anyone succeeded in converting a video to a format that meteo reads well using ffmpeg?
I've tried a lot of both manual and automatic conversion methods, to either avi or mpeg like:

Code:
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -output.avi
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 output.mpeg
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -c:v mpeg1video -c:a mp2 output.mpg

but I'm always getting an input file error #80040217.
Also, does meteo have any required dependency? I'm running it in a windows 10 bottle, that's why I'm asking.

ManyMilesAway

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Screenshot 2024-03-08 125828.png

Hey there, I'm getting this vague message from Windows (11) when I try to run either Meteo or gbafix. Changing the compatibility mode didn't do anything either, anyone else run into this?

*edit, just tried on my Windows 10 machine and it didn't work either.

Last edited by ManyMilesAway,

ArcaneCypher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i converted over 50 various videos, movie and shows! they're all available to download on itch under the user "ArcaneCypher"
Post automatically merged:

View attachment 424647
Hey there, I'm getting this vague message from Windows (11) when I try to run either Meteo or gbafix. Changing the compatibility mode didn't do anything either, anyone else run into this?

*edit, just tried on my Windows 10 machine and it didn't work either.
get 1.5.0 instead

FireCubX

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does anyone know an AVI converter that works with METEO that is NOT video-online-convert?? This website takes too long and also asks for money. Maybe something that can be downloaded?

ArcaneCypher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Does anyone know an AVI converter that works with METEO that is NOT video-online-convert?? This website takes too long and also asks for money. Maybe something that can be downloaded?
use veed dot io mp4 to mpeg online converter (google it). it works so much better when you convert it to mpeg instead of avi (despite the name being avi2gba)

ArcaneCypher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
waitwaitwait, so you mean to tell me the GBA has been out for over 20 years, the modding community has grown incredibly, and to this day the best way to convert a video to a GBA ROM is using a piece of software older than some of us here that barely works in the modern day?

did I get that right? Because I feel like I shouldn't have
🙄 Fine we'll make them FOR you ("Digital Spill GBA" on itch). You can concentrate on 3DS videos or something (although you can get 182 fully 3D movies by googling "clownsec 3ds", so that's covered for you too)

Titney

Trophies
XP
Country
I created some scripts for batch converting videos with Meteo.

First some .bat scripts using ffmpeg.exe to convert .mp4 to .mpg that Meteo can handle.
These are based on the examples posted by @firewood5304 on page five of this thread ( https://gbatemp.net/threads/guide-h...s-to-game-boy-advance-rom-files.520954/page-5 )

.bat script to convert all .mp4 in the same directory to Meteo compatible .mpg:
for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vf scale=-1:320 -c:v mpeg1video -qscale:v 1 -c:a mp3 -format mpeg "%%~na 320p.mpg"
Usage:
Use notepad or similar to put this script into a text file named something like "allmp4tompg.bat" (make sure the extension is .bat and not .txt)
Download ffmpeg.exe from https://ffmpeg.org/download.html (if you don't know which to pick, go for the full/not shared version)
In the same directory/folder as the .bat file put:
ffmpeg.exe
.mp4 video file(s)
Then double click the .bat file, and if all goes as expected ffmpeg should start converting.
This creates mpg videos with a height of 320 pixels (GBA height x2) optimized for 16:9 source video (or other video wider than the gba) that will be cropped from the sides by Meteo to fit the GBA screen. For 4:3 video you might want to do "scale=480:-1" instead (for GBA width x2 to crop from top and bottom)

Another .bat script that converts all .mp4 to .mpg but also splits the output into 8 minute segments.
for %%a in (*.mp4) do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vf "scale=-1:320" -c:v mpeg1video -q:v 1 -c:a mp3 -f segment -segment_time 480 -reset_timestamps 1 "%%~na part%%03d.mpg"
This is good for splitting ~24 minute shows in 3 parts so they can be encoded with higher quality, works very well for animated shows.

And an .mp4 to .mpg .bat that bumps up the contrast by 10% and saturation by 25% so the videos look less washed out on original hardware.
for %%a in ("*.mp4") do ffmpeg -i "%%a" -vf "scale=-1:320, eq=contrast=1.10:saturation=1.25" -c:v mpeg1video -qscale:v 1 -c:a mp3 -format mpeg "%%~na 320p upcontrast.mpg"
This is based on the info at https://web.archive.org/web/20090826162117/http://wiki.pocketheaven.com/Meteo
For live action/dark videos it can also help to add ":brightness=0.8" to bump up the brightness a bit.

Second, an autohotkey 2.0 script to get Meteo to batch convert .mpg videos to .gba

This is for Meteo1.3.1 found at https://github.com/jkotrub/mirror-meteo-avi2gba
Usage:
Download and install Autohotkey 2.0 from https://www.autohotkey.com/

Script:
#Requires Autohotkey v2.0 Loop Files, "*.mpg" ;for all the mpg files in the same directory as the .ahk file { Run "Meteo1.3.1 (EN).exe" ;open meteo Sleep 3000 ;wait a couple seconds to make sure meteo is loaded WinActivate "METEO 1.3.1 English - GAMEBOY-ADVANCE.NET" ;bring the meteo window to the front Sleep 5 Send A_LoopFileFullPath ;starting in the Movie File entry, enter full path to mpg source file Send "{tab}" Send "{tab}" ;move to GBA ROM File output entry Send A_LoopFileFullPath ;enter full path to mpg source file Send " 60kb 20fps.gba" ;add kbps and fps (optional) and .gba to the end of add mpg source file name for the full output filename Send "{tab}" Send "{tab}" ;move to ROM Title internal name entry Send A_LoopFileName ;enter the source filename for internal rom name Send "{tab}" ;move to Bitrate entry Send "60" ;enter bitrate value Send "{tab}" Send "{Down}" Send "{Down}" Send "{Down}" ;move to Manual Settings Send "{tab}" ;move to Trimming Send "{Down}" ;one down changes to Auto Trim & Resize Send "{tab}" ;move to Framerate Send "{Down}" Send "{Down}" Send "{Down}" ;number of downs determines framerate, 1down=original,2down=24fps,3=20,4=15,5=12,6=10,7=7.5,8=6 Send "{tab}" ;move to Pre-filter and do nothing to keep as default, send down if you want to change Send "{tab}" ;move to process button Send "{Enter}" ;activate process button Sleep 240000 ;wait while the conversion is processing. in milliseconds, 240000 is 4 minutes, likely more than enough WinClose "METEO" ;close meteo Sleep 20 ;wait a moment before opening next file }

Use notepad or similar to put this script into a text file named something like "mpgtogba.ahk" (make sure the extension is .ahk and not .txt)
In the same directory/folder as the .ahk file put:
Meteo1.3.1 (EN).exe
.mpg video file(s)
Then double click the .ahk file, and if all goes as expected Meteo should open and the info for the first .mpg in the directory should be automatically entered and conversion started, and then all .mpg files in the directory should be converted.
The default settings are 60 kbps and 20fps, optimized for 8 minute videos and gives great quality for animated material. For videos with a lot of detail or motion you might need to take the bitrate down from 60 to 55 to fit within the GBA's 256mbit limit.

Relatedly, I also realized that it's possible to pause and resume Meteo videos on the EZ Flash ODE with savestates. Fast patching needs to be off for it to work. But the fact that Meteo makes every button reset the video means that its hit and miss to be quick enough to save/restore without accidentally resetting the video. If it was possible to hack out the reset on every button feature it would actually make the gba into a pretty capable video player.

I also have some more advanced scripts if anyone is interested, for adding subtitles that are easy to read on the gba, and for splitting videos into 2,3 etc equal length parts, but they require additional software and/or manual editing of files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @AncientBoi, Dont forget your meds. +1