Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
He didn't kill Jewish people for their religion though. He killed them because of his belief in eugenics, his belief that they were an inferior race and much more.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
He didn't kill Jewish people for their religion though. He killed them because of his belief in eugenics, his belief that they were an inferior race and much more.
The only thing that separated them from other people was their religion.

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
_Chaz_ said:
TrolleyDave said:

The Nazis saw them as a race.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TrolleyDave said:
_Chaz_ said:
TrolleyDave said:

The Nazis saw them as a race.

mellow.gif

The Nazis were wrong...

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
Ellie said:
They killed jews.
This is true.

Not just Jews (who they viewed as a race rather than a religion) but also Roma (Gypsies), Poles, Ethnic Serbs, the disabled, the mentally ill, homosexuals, Freemasons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and others.

The Nazis were using race rather than religion to justify their actions.

There are many other examples of ethnic cleansing where race and ethnicity rather than religion have been used to justify murdering innocent people.

QUOTE(TrolleyDave @ Aug 24 2010, 06:56 PM)
I agree. You don't have to have descended from the original Judaic tribes to be considered Jewish so there's no race involved.

There are at least two definitions of "Jew," one referring to a member of the Jewish religion and another referring to a descendant of the original Judaic tribes.

-Bri

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I put no because people are way to devoted towards religion. Just last Sunday I went to Church and I remembered why I abandoned religion all together. In my opinion, the last thing we need is to support more religious activities. Not the fact that I don't believe in traditional religion, but because people get too crazy by religious ideas and none of them ever consider the possibility that what they are thinking is not true. Really, if there exists a God (which I believe), do we really need books, churches, and all these expensive things to learn about God? The fact we have to study religion by books, churches, and other possible exploits for bias people to insert their own teachings is terrorizing our community, not bombers.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Basically what you are saying is freedom of speech should only apply to what you think is right, and everyone else should be forcibly silenced?

EDIT:
I think a better way of phrasing this is, if these were houses would you all protest Muslims moving into one? If not, why would you oppose this and what is different about it?

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if that was directed towards me.

I've been lost in my mind for several months now. What I have noticed is that there is really no such thing as good or bad. When something is deemed good or bad it has to be in respect to some opinion. Everything in my post above was by my opinion obviously not shared by many people.

Overlord Nadrian

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Bri said:
_Chaz_ said:
Ellie said:
They killed jews.
This is true.
Not just Jews (who they viewed as a race rather than a religion) but also Roma (Gypsies), Poles, Ethnic Serbs, the disabled, the mentally ill, homosexuals, Freemasons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and others.
They called the jews a 'race', but there was still a difference in religion.

Bri

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ellie said:
Bri said:
_Chaz_ said:
Ellie said:
They killed jews.This is true.Not just Jews (who they viewed as a race rather than a religion) but also Roma (Gypsies), Poles, Ethnic Serbs, the disabled, the mentally ill, homosexuals, Freemasons, Jehovah's Witnesses, and others.
They called the jews a 'race', but there was still a difference in religion.

I think you're missing the point. You said:

QUOTE(Ellie @ Aug 24 2010, 03:05 PM)
It'd be hard to justify the killings of thousands of innocents in name of anything other than God/religion.

The Nazis didn't kill the Jews in the name of religion. They didn't even kill the Jews because of their religion. Nor did they kill all those other groups of people because of their religion. There are plenty of examples of killing innocents in the name of things other than religion (culture, race, politics, geographic location, etc). Pretty much anything you can think of that distinguishes your group of people from another group of people can be used as justification for killing innocent members of that other group, usually by systematically instilling fear and resentment towards that other group.

In America, individuals have certain basic rights regardless of what group they belong to in order to avoid the slippery slope to discrimination and persecution (which was the primary reason that our European founders came here to begin with). Of course this country isn't immune to systematic discrimination and persecution of innocent people (the Trail of Tears, slavery, and Japanese internment are some examples). Let's not repeat the mistakes of history.

-Bri

TrolleyDave

Philosolosophising
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Bri said:
TrolleyDave said:
I agree. You don't have to have descended from the original Judaic tribes to be considered Jewish so there's no race involved.

There are at least two definitions of "Jew," one referring to a member of the Jewish religion and another referring to a descendant of the original Judaic tribes.

-Bri

Agreed. But at the same time there were other groups indigenous to the area where the Judaic tribes were from who shared the same "race" (for want of a better word). Their descendants are not classified as Jewish, so in my opinion "race" really plays no part in "Jewishness". Kahanists would disagree obviously. It's not really much different than Christians, Muslims or Buddhists. There are those that descend from the original followers, but it in no way defines a necessary characteristic of being a follower of the religion.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I voted no, but it's with a proviso. Nothing against Islam nor their need for another center, but I think it could go wisely elsewhere considering there's already one near by as is a few more blocks away.

I originally didn't give a damn, and I was and still think it's their right to freedom of religion anywhere they like, but also had I a face in it I'd not say 'witch hunt' but try and talk to them about a nicer and hell safer for them place (enough nuts in NYC as is angry about it.) The problem is the head developer we've seen lately in the press at first was pretty nice and calm about it, but now he's getting super snappy, ignoring questions, and taking a huge fuck you I'll do what I want attitude. The tude though is pointed when asked about the feelings of the victims of a decade ago and their families, about respecting the 'zone' due to the landmark status being developed up there and the rest. The guy seems to be backing himself into this spot of saying I'm right, you're wrong, don't give a shit about any victims or their family/friends, and islam will prevail wherever it damn well pleases.

At this rate he pisses me off as it gives me thoughts of thinking this is being a targeted construction to stick it to the stupid Americans and infidels. It just seems fishy being all open and ok about it, then turning into a bitch about it and clamming up acting like a kid crying in the sandbox that it's hit toys and he'll play whenever and wherever he wants. Also the Imam of the place appears to be an America hater as is with clips that have popped up (audio/video) and one who feels sharia law should be edict in this nation as we're ripe for its take over due to our 'open' laws. It just throws up too many red flags as a big intentional slap to the face to help promote extremism and stupidity of islamo-fascism right on the grounds of the biggest attack of twats like that on our soil.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Doesn't honor the memory of the victims, even though there are fast food chains, strip clubs, and more in the same block?

If you admire the US then you must love the constitution, right? If so, then why would you deny them the right to build there? Freedom of religion.
Do you think that because you disagree with someone or do not like their "attitude" they should lose their right to build there? Freedom of speech.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Blood Fetish said:
Doesn't honor the memory of the victims, even though there are fast food chains, strip clubs, and more in the same block?

I know, OMG, did you hear? They built a ground zero McDonalds! And it has a bathroom! People have been shitting on ground zero! Because, you know, everything within two blocks is the 'ground zero' edition of that building.

The shrill hysteria over this would be hilarious if people don't really believe it, some people need to give their head a shake.

SylvWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've pretty much lost interest in this issue by this point. It's been blown way out of proportion and the arguments are never-ending, as nobody is ever willing to give up their ideological stance.

The only thing that still kinda pisses me off is that when a school shooting (or equivalent firearm-related tragedy) happens, Liberals decry and demonize the Second Amendment, but when something like this happens, they glorify the First. Ugh.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The entire right-vs-left thing is fabricated by the media to keep the general populace under control. I recognize that I am definitely more "left" leaning than "right", and I am a huge proponent of the second amendment (and all others). Only fools vote according to the party line instead of the issues.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and i know what you may be thinking, "why become an adult at 21? doesn't that mean that banging an 18 year old would be illegal?"
    first of all, being in a relationship with someone who's 18 is technically ok, as long as it started when they were 18, but the age gap is still weird depending on how old you are. besides, the age of consent differs between different states
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also my reasoning for adult age being 21 is because the reason that's the drinking (and now smoking) age is because it "gives them more time to think rationally and not drive drunk"
    so you should have that extra time to mature and think rationally before going to serve in the military or vote
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    tl;dr the "adult" age and the legal drinking age (and voting age) here in the US should be the same
    +4
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    It's all good no one pays attention to the law anyway lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    What about making kids wait till 18 or 21 to drive? And yea is messed up, you can join army and die for your country at age 18, but you can't drink alcohol or smoke a cig til 21, is ridiculous
    +3
    If someone is in the military they should be allowed to smoke and drink at 18.... Would help drive recruitment lol
    +3
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We all know they do and will anyways. I think laws prevented them only pushes them to illegally do it. Even tho if was legal, most prob wouldn't even bother. Not a big deal or risque if its legal, no fun.
    +2
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    That's why some kids don't mind having a rap sheet or two just so they never get drafted
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    also, i think the voting age should match the adult and drinking ages too, because by the logic of giving them time to mature and think rationally so they don't drive drunk, then they should also have that time to mature and think rationally so they can think for themselves
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fucking hell i'm becoming a mini leo with the way i yap aren't i?
    +1
  • impeeza @ impeeza:
    I was unable to create the VM for the debloat windows, but found the video where I learned it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZm6mY3I7J4
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    No you def no leo, and I like your insight. You are a smart Baked cookie.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Chicken drumsticks and sweet potato for dinner tonight turned out good
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    "i promise not to get all political and/or philosophical"
    3 drinks later:
    "so yeah think for yourself and i think the government sucks"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is @BigOnYa drunk again
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    no, i was poking fun at myself
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Again? I have a IV feeding me so I never come down.
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because self deprecating humor is important, as long as it doesn't turn into self hate. because you can't really make fun of anyone if you can't even make fun of yourself
    +2
    Booze enemas are real lol
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    that explains a lot
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa, invented the first ever pill that gets you instantly hammered, now filling the streets of Miami
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That was what called a qaaulude, instant drunk, luckily they not around anymore.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tylenol midday
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Tylenol midday