Hacking Great move on nintendo's part for DSi

JusDaMan

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
now we have seen that DSi Does not support ANY current Flashcart. Thats a great move on nintendo's part for slowing down piracy. the addition of an SD slot was a smart strategic move on their part too.

This would force most if not all Flashcart company's out of business.

People say that it was a dumb move for Nintendo to add SD slot because it will eliminate the need for a flashcart and allow the DS games to be played directly from the SD slot, but what they dont understand is that nintendo put the sd slot taking piracy in to consideration. Hacking a hardware is usually done freely by leisure hackers who do not get paid other than donations.

with this move Nintendo eliminated all current piracy devices and with firmware updates by nintendo via wireless even if hackers do end up hacking SD slot. any update by nintendo's part would patch that.

Of course there is always the possibility of DSi taking the PSP/flashme route and using custom firmware. but that will cause more people to consider not doing it.

I personally think the current piracy of NDSL is too high. When the Original DS came out sure it was hacked and allowed passme 1 and 2 and eventually nopass slot-2 and Flashme. but all those products discouraged a lot of people from buying it because it required extra knowledge that most people do not want to take the time out and read. With the appearance of slot-1 it takes out all hard work thus giving every 10 year old kid the ability to get all Roms.

Knowing nintendo, the DSL will be dropped 2-3 months after DSi launch and making the DSL hardware useless thus making all current flashcarts useless and lowering its piracy. I know for a fact that DSi will get hacked in some way shape or form allowing roms to be read. It will also be done in a way where people who are not willing to take the risk (via Flashme [possibility of bricking device], Passme type device [self made hardware]) will not do it.

The DSi will decrease piracy on their part. and on the homebrew part allow non stupid people to continue what they do and for the stupid people to just buy the actual game.

Interesting concept, paying for a game
lecture.gif
I think thats how developers make money.

CockroachMan

Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.
Trophies
Website
www.homembarata.com.br
XP
Country
Brazil
Haruhi said:
DSi only games being region locked doesn't help though...

DSi only games are the downloadable ones only.. every Game download service around the world is region locked (Steam, PSN, Gametap, XBL, WiiWare, etc).. I don't see why people is making so much fuss about that..
unsure.gif

But yeah, on topic.. it's better that people get their piracy directly from a SD card, than using flashcards.. Nintendo is still getting nothing from that, but on the other hand, no one is.. and, since the DSi can download stuff, they can't probably update the firmware on it and block hacking attempts (of course, we know how that goes..)

DarkRey

still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Croatia
is far better with flashcards...
i mean..the japanese get new games earlier than us, so with flashcard we can download them and play earlier and when is released in our places *cough*we buy them *cough* (is like renting the game for a time)

QUOTE said:
every Game download service around the world is region locked (Steam, PSN, Gametap, XBL, WiiWare, etc)..
Psn is not, we can downlaod games(demos) and others from any countries but we are not able to buy them (but there was a tutorial that show how to buy)

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
DarkRey said:
is far better with flashcards...
i mean..the japanese get new games earlier than us, so with flashcard we can download them and play earlier and when is released in our places *cough*we buy them *cough* (is like renting the game for a time)

QUOTE said:
every Game download service around the world is region locked (Steam, PSN, Gametap, XBL, WiiWare, etc)..
Psn is not, we can downlaod games(demos) and others from any countries but we are not able to buy them (but there was a tutorial that show how to buy)

hope sooooo
rolleyes.gif

Maikel Steneker

M3 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
ndss.nl
XP
Country
Netherlands
Yeah, Nintendo made a smart move with the DSi. The only thing they need to do now is ensure that new gamers buy the DSi instead of the DS Lite. They can't stop piracy for GBAtemp users, but they can for new DS users.

Sportsmaniac1322

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
We all knew this was coming. Piracy was hurting the DS a ton (especially in Japan). What I don't agree with is the people that think it's a good thing. Flash carts are great for the people who use them legally. I use my flash cart for 2 things; backing up my games and having them all on 1 cart, and homebrew. Although I'm probably not like most people.
tongue.gif

KaizokuOu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
JusDaMan said:

you mean for maybe a few months. when theres a will theres a way. lol. ill give em 2 months to break the DSi.

gizmo_gal

QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
JusDaMan said:
now we have seen that DSi Does not support ANY current Flashcart. Thats a great move on nintendo's part for slowing down piracy. the addition of an SD slot was a smart strategic move on their part too.

People say that it was a dumb move for Nintendo to add SD slot because it will eliminate the need for a flashcart and allow the DS games to be played directly from the SD slot, but what they dont understand is that nintendo put the sd slot taking piracy in to consideration. Hacking a hardware is usually done freely by leisure hackers who do not get paid other than donations.

with this move Nintendo eliminated all current piracy devices and with firmware updates by nintendo via wireless even if hackers do end up hacking SD slot. any update by nintendo's part would patch that.

Of course there is always the possibility of DSi taking the PSP/flashme route and using custom firmware. but that will cause more people to consider not doing it.

I personally think the current piracy of NDSL is too high. When the Original DS came out sure it was hacked and allowed passme 1 and 2 and eventually nopass slot-2 and Flashme. but all those products discouraged a lot of people from buying it because it required extra knowledge that most people do not want to take the time out and read. With the appearance of slot-1 it takes out all hard work thus giving every 10 year old kid the ability to get all Roms.

Knowing nintendo, the DSL will be dropped 2-3 months after DSi launch and making the DSL hardware useless thus making all current flashcarts useless and lowering its piracy. I know for a fact that DSi will get hacked in some way shape or form allowing roms to be read. It will also be done in a way where people who are not willing to take the risk (via Flashme [possibility of bricking device], Passme type device [self made hardware]) will not do it.

The DSi will decrease piracy on their part. and on the homebrew part allow non stupid people to continue what they do and for the stupid people to just buy the actual game.

Interesting concept, paying for a game
lecture.gif
I think thats how developers make money.

Hate to burst your bubble, but...
http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=113633

jampot5000

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nintendo know people are going to abuse what they make as do all games console companies, i doubt nintendo will have minded that much when the homebrew channel was made as it adds popularity to the console when people talk about how you can do extra things in it, sure it does kinda backfire because people install wiiware and now with the backup launcher but that still they bring popularity. When they fix the softmod so it cant be used what happens then they have lots of people that will not want to put a hardmod in and will therefore start buying games again for the wii they have because they bought it for the softmod.

other game console developers have this added bonus for instance the controllers for consoles being connected to PCs although the wii is still the best for this as u can make an interactive whiteboard for the cost of a projecter if you already have a wii.

anyway nintendo again are playing into this they know they are not fool-proof and that the DSi will be hacked which it already has however it is alot better for them if it is being done from something they put it as they have more chance and it is easier to block than a flashcart hence the sd ports.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
DarkRey said:
Not true, my friend has been able to buy games from both the Japanese and the American PSN store using three different accounts.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hankchill said:
jalaneme said:
who cares because i guarantee that most people will keep their ds lite anyway, i have no use for a dsi

^-- This.

No GBA slot make Homer something something...

Go crazy?

(on topic)
Its very true about Ninty pulling an amazing move by killing of flashcart compatibility. I've had all kinds of hacked systems in the past (via mod chips and cfw) and NONE were as easy as the flash cart. More people are willing to play free games if there's NO chance of hurting your system to make it happen (i.e. no firmware flashing, no soldering, no chance of bricking).

Also, with this, i'm fucking excited to watch the scene come together, create a cfw, watch nintendo release a newer firmware, and 24 hours later, the scene has borked Nin's plans again.

I don't own a PSP, but i LOVE watching the forums as new firmwares come out. Scene panic -> organization -> idea -> actual work-around -> Big Business (sony or nintendo or whomever) fixing hole -> scene panic ---and the whole rotation starts again. Its already started HERE with the flash carts being blocked. We've passed the "Panic" time, and we're working our way to organization. Can't wait to see this loop around here too
smile.gif

Its times like this i wish i'd know my shit around programming. I'd be in the middle of it. Alas, ignorance claims another gamer (me).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-