Great move on nintendo's part for DSi

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by JusDaMan, Oct 31, 2008.

Oct 31, 2008
  1. JusDaMan
    OP

Newcomer JusDaMan Advanced Member

now we have seen that DSi Does not support ANY current Flashcart. Thats a great move on nintendo's part for slowing down piracy. the addition of an SD slot was a smart strategic move on their part too.

This would force most if not all Flashcart company's out of business.

People say that it was a dumb move for Nintendo to add SD slot because it will eliminate the need for a flashcart and allow the DS games to be played directly from the SD slot, but what they dont understand is that nintendo put the sd slot taking piracy in to consideration. Hacking a hardware is usually done freely by leisure hackers who do not get paid other than donations.

with this move Nintendo eliminated all current piracy devices and with firmware updates by nintendo via wireless even if hackers do end up hacking SD slot. any update by nintendo's part would patch that.

Of course there is always the possibility of DSi taking the PSP/flashme route and using custom firmware. but that will cause more people to consider not doing it.

I personally think the current piracy of NDSL is too high. When the Original DS came out sure it was hacked and allowed passme 1 and 2 and eventually nopass slot-2 and Flashme. but all those products discouraged a lot of people from buying it because it required extra knowledge that most people do not want to take the time out and read. With the appearance of slot-1 it takes out all hard work thus giving every 10 year old kid the ability to get all Roms.

Knowing nintendo, the DSL will be dropped 2-3 months after DSi launch and making the DSL hardware useless thus making all current flashcarts useless and lowering its piracy. I know for a fact that DSi will get hacked in some way shape or form allowing roms to be read. It will also be done in a way where people who are not willing to take the risk (via Flashme [possibility of bricking device], Passme type device [self made hardware]) will not do it.

The DSi will decrease piracy on their part. and on the homebrew part allow non stupid people to continue what they do and for the stupid people to just buy the actual game.

Interesting concept, paying for a game [​IMG] I think thats how developers make money.

2. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    DSi only games being region locked doesn't help though...

3. CockroachMan

Member CockroachMan Scribbling around GBATemp's kitchen.

Brazil
    DSi only games are the downloadable ones only.. every Game download service around the world is region locked (Steam, PSN, Gametap, XBL, WiiWare, etc).. I don't see why people is making so much fuss about that.. [​IMG]

But yeah, on topic.. it's better that people get their piracy directly from a SD card, than using flashcards.. Nintendo is still getting nothing from that, but on the other hand, no one is.. and, since the DSi can download stuff, they can't probably update the firmware on it and block hacking attempts (of course, we know how that goes..)

4. DarkRey

Member DarkRey still transfoooorming.... with sum lags!

Croatia
    is far better with flashcards...
    i mean..the japanese get new games earlier than us, so with flashcard we can download them and play earlier and when is released in our places *cough*we buy them *cough* (is like renting the game for a time)

Psn is not, we can downlaod games(demos) and others from any countries but we are not able to buy them (but there was a tutorial that show how to buy)

5. Langin

Member Langin GBAtemp's kpop addict

Netherlands
    hope sooooo [​IMG]

6. Lumstar

Member Lumstar Princess

United States
    No sign of retail ones yet, but they could appear later on.

7. Maikel Steneker

Member Maikel Steneker M3 Fanboy

Netherlands
    Yeah, Nintendo made a smart move with the DSi. The only thing they need to do now is ensure that new gamers buy the DSi instead of the DS Lite. They can't stop piracy for GBAtemp users, but they can for new DS users.

8. Sportsmaniac1322

Member Sportsmaniac1322 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    We all knew this was coming. Piracy was hurting the DS a ton (especially in Japan). What I don't agree with is the people that think it's a good thing. Flash carts are great for the people who use them legally. I use my flash cart for 2 things; backing up my games and having them all on 1 cart, and homebrew. Although I'm probably not like most people. [​IMG]

9. ItsMetaKnight

Member ItsMetaKnight GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Denmark
    i'm against real piracy as well
    i use my stuff legally too

10. KaizokuOu

Newcomer KaizokuOu Newbie

you mean for maybe a few months. when theres a will theres a way. lol. ill give em 2 months to break the DSi.

11. gizmo_gal

Member gizmo_gal QWEEN of the RadioActive Force!!!

United States
    Hate to burst your bubble, but...
    http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=113633

12. jampot5000

Newcomer jampot5000 Member

United Kingdom
    Nintendo know people are going to abuse what they make as do all games console companies, i doubt nintendo will have minded that much when the homebrew channel was made as it adds popularity to the console when people talk about how you can do extra things in it, sure it does kinda backfire because people install wiiware and now with the backup launcher but that still they bring popularity. When they fix the softmod so it cant be used what happens then they have lots of people that will not want to put a hardmod in and will therefore start buying games again for the wii they have because they bought it for the softmod.

other game console developers have this added bonus for instance the controllers for consoles being connected to PCs although the wii is still the best for this as u can make an interactive whiteboard for the cost of a projecter if you already have a wii.

anyway nintendo again are playing into this they know they are not fool-proof and that the DSi will be hacked which it already has however it is alot better for them if it is being done from something they put it as they have more chance and it is easier to block than a flashcart hence the sd ports.

13. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    who cares because i guarantee that most people will keep their ds lite anyway, i have no use for a dsi

14. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    Not true, my friend has been able to buy games from both the Japanese and the American PSN store using three different accounts.

15. hankchill

Member hankchill I Pwn n00bs.

Canada
    ^-- This.

No GBA slot make Homer something something...

16. WildWon

Former Staff WildWon EXTERMINATE!

United States
    Go crazy?

(on topic)
    Its very true about Ninty pulling an amazing move by killing of flashcart compatibility. I've had all kinds of hacked systems in the past (via mod chips and cfw) and NONE were as easy as the flash cart. More people are willing to play free games if there's NO chance of hurting your system to make it happen (i.e. no firmware flashing, no soldering, no chance of bricking).

Also, with this, i'm fucking excited to watch the scene come together, create a cfw, watch nintendo release a newer firmware, and 24 hours later, the scene has borked Nin's plans again.

I don't own a PSP, but i LOVE watching the forums as new firmwares come out. Scene panic -> organization -> idea -> actual work-around -> Big Business (sony or nintendo or whomever) fixing hole -> scene panic ---and the whole rotation starts again. Its already started HERE with the flash carts being blocked. We've passed the "Panic" time, and we're working our way to organization. Can't wait to see this loop around here too [​IMG]

Its times like this i wish i'd know my shit around programming. I'd be in the middle of it. Alas, ignorance claims another gamer (me).