Hardware Graphically, how well does the Nintendo Switch par up to the PS3

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will have to make a poll about this & show some quotes above on this thread that may be able to show & detirmine the exact power of the PS3 vs Switch. But reguardless, in terms of power, the two systems match up well (The switch has some slight changes in comparison to a PS3 however its utilized to be taken on the go and last 3 hours, and more when charging/brining a charger.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I will have to make a poll about this & show some quotes above on this thread that may be able to show & detirmine the exact power of the PS3 vs Switch. But reguardless, in terms of power, the two systems match up well (The switch has some slight changes in comparison to a PS3 however its utilized to be taken on the go and last 3 hours, and more when charging/brining a charger.
In raw FLOPs they're damn near equal, but Switch has the advantage of a modern GPU/CPU architecture and API support. Comparable games will look slightly better and probably run slightly better on Switch vs PS3.

Bonestorm

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Seeing BotW performance makes me doubt that claim.
BOTW is a Wii U game ported at the last minute. How strong the Switch is not up for argument it's a fact, and it's about 2x as strong as the PS3 when Nintendo or anyone else actually makes a game that is not a Wii U port using the power you will see.

Last edited by Bonestorm,
Reactions: PkPizza

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
sorry but i see.... the graphics of super mario galaxy is better than a breath of the wild, in switch.
While Super Mario Galaxy is a very good looking game, especially in 1080p in Dolphin, graphically it's a lot simpler than BotW and the stages are rather small, there's an insane amount of stuff that has to be rendered in BotW with the huge open world and infinite draw distance (for terrain at least)
But I disagree. BotW looks way better. The lighting effects and large amounts of foliage really help.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It shows you how little faith people have in Nintendo nowadays. Regardless of facts.
But... but they're FACTS.

It's like that whole "Is Crash Bandicoot N. Sanity Collection really PS4 exclusive? I don't think so..." - FUCK YES IT IS. IT WAS CONFIRMED WHEN THEY ANNOUNCED IT, FUCKTARDS.

I can't understand the denial when it comes to things that have been CONFIRMED.

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. Wait... people really are being serious when they think the Switch is about as powerful as a PS3? LOOOOL. It's more powerful than a wii u, which is more powerful than a PS3. Christ almighty.
Because people keep comparing it to old gen consoles rather than the current gen ones. An as soon as the scorpio gets released or the ps5 revealed, the switch specs will look even worse.

Reactions: petethepug

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because people keep comparing it to old gen consoles rather than the current gen ones. An as soon as the scorpio gets released or the ps5 revealed, the switch specs will look even worse.
I'm not talking about them comparing. I'm talking about people not knowing if it's more powerful than a PS3 or not. It's redonk.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
The Switch is 2x more like 3x as strong as the PS3...so yeah it could.
No it probably couldn't... If we are talking raw power the PS3's CPU is much more powerful. Those lil ARM processors would probably shit their lil pants if it had to process the same things in the same way. Yes I'd say the nVidia mobile GPU of the switch is more powerful due to an advance in architecture but I doubt double and definitely not triple.

Wow. Wait... people really are being serious when they think the Switch is about as powerful as a PS3? LOOOOL. It's more powerful than a wii u, which is more powerful than a PS3. Christ almighty.
The WiiU is more powerful because of more RAM and a slightly more powerful GPU. BUT skimped out on the CPU. Developers did not like that. Kinda like what Nintendo did with the Game Cube. More powerful than xbox and PS2 BUT limited developers with these tiny discs.

Last edited by Luckkill4u,

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it probably couldn't... If we are talking raw power the PS3's CPU is much more powerful. Those lil ARM processors would probably shit their lil pants if it had to process the same things in the same way. Yes I'd say the nVidia mobile GPU of the switch is more powerful due to an advance in architecture but I doubt double and definitely not triple.

The WiiU is more powerful because of more RAM and a slightly more powerful GPU. BUT skimped out on the CPU. Developers did not like that. Kinda like what Nintendo did with the Game Cube. More powerful than xbox and PS2 BUT limited developers with these tiny discs.
Um. The xbox was stronger than the gamecube.

Luckkill4u

4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
Um. The xbox was stronger than the gamecube.
Actually the Gamecube was more powerful in floating point performance. Its powerpc CPU was clocked lower than the Xboxs Pentium 3 but still more powerful. The xbox was released a bit later giving it an edge with a slightly better gpu that had better shader performance. Again nintendo's biggest fault is those shitty tiny discs they decided to use and thats why games like Doom 3 and other games wouldn't play on the Gamecube.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
True. PS3 in theory does 400 GFlops, but realistically it's a unique architecture and very few developers utilized that to its fullest. Wii U, and by extension, Switch, give much better real-world results in terms of performance. Infamous comes to mind, which ran at 720p on PS3, but could do at least 900p on Switch.

Last edited by Xzi,

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
Trophies
XP
Country
I'll take that 'L' my bad, I totally forgot about the the docked resolution for BOTW.

You still have to take into account BOTW was not built from the ground up for the Switch, the Switch has 2x the amount of ram the Wii U has for game usage which is very beneficial for this type of game (open world); BOTW on the Switch is clearly a Wii U port.
Don't explain! save your breath. The Switch docked or undocked for that matter will knock spots of the WiiU PS3 what ever, were talking about a 9th Generation Console now, Nintendo would be very silly to make this console/handheld less powerful or as powerful than the previous generations, there not that stupid! I mean ZBOTW looks tons better undocked than the WiiU version altogether I have played both and playing the Switch version undocked looks much better and runs a lot smoother. You have no need to apologize, you were correct in your first comment, it is a joke!!!! I agree, its not going to be as powerful as a PS4Pro or the up and coming Xbox Scorpio but bare in mind the price difference on what your paying for, for these consoles but as far as the games are concerned, they suck and are way to complicated and not fun unless your sick minded individual and like going around shooting people and blood going all over the screen!

Last edited by Reecey,

DeslotlCL

GBAtemp's scalie trash
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't explain! save your breath. The Switch docked or undocked for that matter will knock spots of the WiiU PS3 what ever, were talking about a 9th Generation Console now, Nintendo would be very silly to make this console/handheld less powerful or as powerful than the previous generations, there not that stupid! I mean ZBOTW looks tons better undocked than the WiiU version altogether I have played both and playing the Switch version undocked looks much better and runs a lot smoother. You have no need to apologize, you were correct in your first comment, it is a joke!!!! I agree, its not going to be as powerful as a PS4Pro or the up and coming Xbox Scorpio but bare in mind the price difference on what your paying for, for these consoles but as far as the games are concerned, they suck and are way to complicated and not fun unless your sick minded individual and like going around shooting people and blood going all over the screen!
You are so closed minded and wrong at the same time if you think shooters are the only games available on the other platforms. If that were the case, the wiiu and its first party games should have been successful, even with the bad marketing, but hey, it wasnt. No one wanted a wii u. Second, nintendo is still silly to release undetpowered crap compared to last gen consoles, because you know, since the switch is new gen, the current one is old now.

IF THIRD PARTIES DEVS START TO LOSE INTEREST ON THE SWITCH, most consumers will go with the other platforms, since you nintendrones just think shooters are the only games available on the other platforms.

ffs.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-