grabbing my own private header... please help with this

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by Bloodangel, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Bloodangel
    OP

Bloodangel GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    hi,
    im going to get hold of my friends 3ds tomorrow thats on 6.2 firmware.
    I have 2 original game carts left from the 21 i sold. I have Fantasy Life and nintendogs.
    Can i grab a header from either of these to use on my Sky3ds? or does it have to be a online game, in which case i will have to use Fantasy Life cartridge. if it dont matter, i can grab header from nintendogs and then sell Fantasy Life [​IMG]
    Does it have to be a 4gb Cart game? or can any size cart be used?

How do i go about grabbing the header from the cart please?
    What do i need to download ready as i can only have his 3ds for a short while, so trying to get a head start on it so that i know exactly what to do.
    Is grabbing the headers from a game cart the easy part... and then he can have his 3ds back, as the hardest part is injecting the template with my header?

Anyone please tell me what i need to download in advance and could anyone please leave me a step by step guide? please, and thank you in advance

I have New 3ds XL 9.5 and sky3ds

2. tekwarfare

tekwarfare GBAtemp Regular

Mar 2, 2015
    Nintendogs is a DS game so it won't work, do you mean Nintendogs + Cats?

Don't sell the game whose header you will use for online.

3. Bloodangel
    OP

Bloodangel GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    yeah thats the one :) the 3ds one

4. Bloodangel
    OP

Bloodangel GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    yep, im aware i cant sell the cart once header is taken from it.
    Thats why if i can use Nintendogs one for header, then i can sell Fantasy Life :)
    But does the cart have to be a online game or dont it matter? Also does it have to be a 4gb game cart?

5. tekwarfare

Mar 2, 2015
    I don't believe the size of the cart matters. I am not sure about your other question, it would make more sense to use an online game's header, but who knows what Nintendo can make sense of on their end.

Use the Gateway Launcher.dat to boot into gateway mode via the web exploit and dump the cartridge to the SD, that's it. There's a million tutorials on YouTube and on here.

6. iViperz

iViperz GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2015
    Either cart will be just fine.
    You don't specifically need a header from a game with online capabilities to use it in online.
    You can use a 4gb card but it has to be big enough to store a game. Games vary by size.
    The size of the rom doesn't have to be big, in fact the smaller the better, it saves time when dumping the rom.

In order to grab the header, you'll need to use Gateway to dump the rom, it should be something like "backup rom" in the Gateway menu.
    This will copy your game rom to the mSD/SD card in your 3DS (NOT the Gateway card). From there, you would need to copy the rom onto PC, and use Gateway's rom tool to extract the header. This will produce a .bin file, which would be the header you'd want to use.
    In order to inject the header into a template, I would suggest using No Ban No Sky, found on this forum to inject, unless you know any other way.
    Download the software, follow the instructions and inject the header into the template.

Profit.

Hope that helps.

cvskid likes this.
  7. Bloodangel
    OP

Bloodangel GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    it is the 3ds Nintendogs and cats cart

8. iViperz

iViperz GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2015
    I've edited my post above to account for this.

9. tekwarfare

Mar 2, 2015
    Eseentialy just follow this video until 5:30, but you don't need the Gateway card, all you need is the launcher.dat file.

Once you've dumped the gamed to your SD card and checked to make sure it's there via PC, you can return your friend's 3DS. Take a few backups of the dumped ROM just to be safe, i.e. burn it to DVD, store it on your HDD, store it on a external USB.

10. Bloodangel
    OP

Bloodangel GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    thanks,
    so i put game cart into the 6.2 3ds, put gateway launcher.dat onto the sd card, run dump rom... which will dump image of the game cart to the sd card.
    Then i remove sd card, and insert into my pc.
    run gateway rom tool on my pc to extract the header, which creates a .bin file.
    I am now safe to give my friend his 6.2 3ds back as i have my private header?
    then i use No Ban No Sky to inject private header into the latest template i download from sky3ds?

when extracting rom, i read something abotu i have to go to a browser on the 3ds, and go to a specific web address/url... do i have to do this?

11. Bloodangel
    OP

Bloodangel GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    thanks all :)
    where do i grab the required tools please?

12. iViperz

iViperz GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2015
    That's correct yes.
    I think what you have in mind is getting into the Gateway menu. You need to go to http://go.gateway-3ds.com on your 3ds browser to boot into the gateway menu.

As far as I'm aware, the links are not allowed to be posted (I could be corrected on this because personally, I don't know how the rom tool is regarded as piracy)

A quick google search will yield plenty of results. Just search for Gateway rom tool xD
    No Ban No Sky is found here

13. Bloodangel
    OP

Bloodangel GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    so its safe to use private header from Nintendogs and Cats, inject it into all the games in template and then go online with the games? For example.. i inject the Nintendogs and Cats header into Mario Kart 7 in template, and then i can go online and play mario kart 7 safely without ban?

14. iViperz

iViperz GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2015
    Well, it's not 100% safe, no method aside from the genuine cart is 100%, but it'll keep you safer than using a public header

15. Bloodangel
    OP

Bloodangel GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    Why do i need to go to http://go.gateway-3ds.com on the 3ds browser? do i have to go to this url aswell as put gateway launcher.dat onto the sd card?

16. iViperz

iViperz GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2015
    Going onto that website basically loads the launcher.dat file that you have in your SD card. So yes you have to visit that URL as well as put the launcher into the SD card.

17. tekwarfare

Mar 2, 2015

Nice to see you watched the video I posted earlier.

18. Bloodangel
    OP

Bloodangel GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    sooooo...
    so i put game cart into the 6.2 3ds, put gateway launcher.dat onto the sd card, go to http://go.gateway-3ds.com on 3ds browser, select and run dump rom... which will dump image of the game cart to the sd card.
    Then i remove sd card, and insert into my pc.
    run gateway rom tool on my pc to extract the header, which creates a .bin file.
    I am now safe to give my friend his 6.2 3ds back as i have my private header.
    then i use No Ban No Sky to inject private header into the latest template i download from sky3ds

19. Bloodangel
    OP

Bloodangel GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    i have got it open, but paused as i was replying and getting carried away on here. thanks for your help m8, i appreciate it

20. Bloodangel
    OP

Bloodangel GBAtemp Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    cant find the gateway rom tool... also where do i get gateway launcher.dat from please?