Got a new switch need support

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by akramff, Sep 21, 2018.

1. akramff
    OP

akramff GBAtemp Regular

Jul 7, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Hi
    I just got a new switch its running 4.0.1 fw and depending on the hackable serial number thread it is hackable.
    So what do you guys suggest ?
    Update it or leave it like this ?
    Buy a dongle like r4s or sx pro or use cfw and i dont need them to save some bucks ;)
    Also what is for me really matters is running the games nsp and xcu.
    Thank you guys in advance

Last edited by akramff, Sep 22, 2018
  2. Canna

Canna Bad Ass Poisonous Mushroom

GBAtemp Patron
    Canna is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    First things first............. BACKUP YOUR CONSOLE FULLY.......Please dont ignore this your thank me later i promise

Here you go click here > Guide

3. akramff
    OP

akramff GBAtemp Regular

Jul 7, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Ok i'll do it is it a long process?
    Also i wanted
    Ok i'll do it is it a long process?
    Also i wanted to know what does burnning the fuses during the update mean ?
    Is it good or bad?
    And thanx for the reply

4. Canna

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom

BACKING UP
    Its not as long a process as it use to be, but it will take a little time to backup.. but i strongly recommend you do.
    If you follow my guide you will have backed up all you can...

FUSES
    Burning fuses means there is a internal fuse that is burned when you update your systems firmware/system files basically update....

Each system version has a certain amount of fuses burned. think of it like a counter...

Now you can upgrade system version fine, but officially you cannot downgrade your system version,

When you update you get a fuse count say for instance 6, now if you try to use a lower system version on that console you will be unable to boot it. as the lower system version has a lower fuse count lets say 4.

The console checks the fuse count at boot and if it does not match your system version it will not boot..

You can use the no fuse burn method but as your new to this you dont need to worry your self so much right now unless your interested in not burning fuses or in downgrading...

Last edited by Canna, Sep 21, 2018
  5. akramff
    OP

akramff GBAtemp Regular

Jul 7, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Sorry for the many questions but the question now is should i update or not i am on 4.0.1?
    And after i back up my nand i will right to you

6. Canna

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Jul 14, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Me personally will only update, if a game requires a certain update to run

Meaning some games require a certain system version to be able to play...

I would like to say its your decision if you want to update..

But ...

Backup your switch first, with following my guide and getting you backups if your switch goes bad you can recover it. You can backup 4.0.1, if you decide to update your system then backup your nand again...

But for the record if you wish to play home brew, pirate games run pirated games or hack or run cfw.. i recommend you do not update your system at this time, well not atleast till you understand what is going on around here . Backup now and dont update.. research and learn about switch hacking then decide .. thats the best i can give you good luck.
    i think at this time the latest system update does not allow you to run cfw/or some home brew correctly..

OH almost forgot ... if you decide to hack your switch or use home brew you will get banned from nintendo online, and sometimes updates... So if you hack the switch or wish to use CFW then keep the console offline permanent and enable airplane mode...

Last edited by Canna, Sep 21, 2018
  7. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
  8. akramff
    OP

akramff GBAtemp Regular

Jul 7, 2016
    Gambia, The
    how can i make an rcm jig? i found many methods but they look dangerous :unsure:

9. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    Making one would require a 3d printer. Your best bet is to buy one, i think Amazon had a few good ones for sale

10. akramff
    OP

akramff GBAtemp Regular

Jul 7, 2016
    Gambia, The
    wouldnt it be better if i get a r4s ?

11. Ashura66

Ashura66 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 1, 2016
    Portugal
    Under my bed
    And R4S? I don't know much about it but i think the Jig is a high quality one. I have heard some good things about the Atmosphere dongle though

12. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
  13. eskinner3742

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    For rcm methods look here: https://gbatemp.net/threads/the-ultimate-list-of-mods-to-enter-rcm.502145/

You can also update without burning your fuses (giving you an option to restore your backup on 4.0.1 in the chance we get warmboot) so here's another link: https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...nofficially-without-burning-any-fuses.507461/

The above guide is a pretty good one listing some useful info as well as a start to finish on getting atmosphere set up.

Personally, I use ReiNX: https://reinx.guide

It's really all personal preference. If your switch is vulnerable to fusee gelee you can update pretty much worry free since it's a coldboot exploit that can only be patched in the factory afaik.

Just be aware that you can and possibly will be banned from online services using cfw. I just assume that the moment I run cfw I'm as good as banned.

For ease of use though, I would recommend an R4s dongle as it's a nice simple plug and go option for cfw. And since the community cfw options offer the same benefits really as sxos I see no reason to go with it over the R4s. If youre interested I got mine here: https://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=304

As mentioned above do not do anything before backing up your NAND and check out all the switch subforums to get as much education as you can before diving in blind. And as always, have fun and I hope I helped.

14. akramff
    OP

akramff GBAtemp Regular

Jul 7, 2016
    Gambia, The
    i have ordered a new switch jig but it takes a while until its there

Last edited by akramff, Sep 24, 2018 - Reason: 3ds correction lol
  15. eskinner3742

eskinner3742 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 21, 2016
    United States
    Be careful with jigs. I don't trust ones made from paperclips as they could damage your pads in the console. The jig that comes with the r4s dongle is nice though. I recommend picking up the dongle as it makes running cfw more convenient. If you order from the link i posted above it'll take a few weeks but again, totally worth it.