Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
http://palib.info/forum/modules/newbb/view...d=2689&forum=42

PAlib said:
Redbug had the idea of doing a mockup compo, for our fellow non-coder friends : you do a mock-up of the Nintendo DS application of your dreams, and if it is selected by one of our 5 coders, he’ll take care of developping it and submit it at the Neoflash Summer Compo, in 4 months. The mockup deadline is April 20th, so hurry up !

QUOTE said:
  Ketchup mock-up spring compo 2007
  What is a mock-up ?
  Here’s what Wikipedia says about mock-ups : “In common usage, a mock-up is a scale model of a structure or device, usually used for teaching, demonstration, testing a design, etc.”

So what is this compo ???
  Very simple : you do a mock-up of the Nintendo DS application of your dreams, and if it is selected by one of our 5 coders, he’ll take care of developping it and submit it at the Neoflash Summer Compo, in 4 months.

What are the deadlines ?
  - April 20th : All mockups must have been sent to [email protected]. with [KMSC] in the subject.
  - May 1st : The 5 best mock-ups will be announced on this site, as well as the coders which chose them.
  - Agust 20th : The applications will be submitted by their respective coders/graphists to the Neoflash Summer Compo 2007, which pretty much ensures that the coder will do his maximum for the application.

I will post all the mock-ups as they come on this blog. Please send them by mail with the application name and a brief description of what your program would need to do.
  The images must have a resolution of 256×384 or 256×192.

Complete description here : http://deadketchup.kyuran.be/

Wow. This sounds great. I hope you guys get some good ideas, as I'm fresh out.
tongue.gif

iJeff

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
ndscanvasconceptlargefv7.jpg

I entered this with...

NDS Canvas Concept

Lightweight ported version of Photoshop with general image editing, stamps (or paintbrush sets), wand select, select, etc.

The menu system could be designed as a drop-down from the top menu which includes "File, Edit, Image, Layer, Select, Filter, View, and Help" as this could facilitate the usage of features. To manage these menus a Bottom-Top "R" swap could be implemented so that the user could easily press 'R' or 'L' to swap the top and bottom screens.

Every feature should be made managable by the Stylus but to also include the option of button use. The interface itself should not be too colourful and preferably bland so that attention is not brought away from the canvas.

Things to include:

* Text input via virtual keyboard
* Colour wheel
* Freehand pen
* Freehand paintbrush
* Shape select
* Lasso tool
* Eraser
* Gradient colour
* Paintbucket colour
* Shape paste
* Stamps (pre-made shapes or images such as the flowers included)
* Zoom-in, zoom-out
* Foreground/background colours
* Rotate canvas

Of course due to hardware restrictions full filters could not be generated as with cropping and copy/pasting between documents. So lightweight alternatives could be used. These are all suggestions for the application, it is strongly based on applications such as Photoshop and Gimpshop.

This would do a great service to the Nintendo DS homebrew community. Thank you for considering this project.

.TakaM

.II
Trophies
Website
takam.wordpress.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
ok, Ive finished my mockups
smile.gif

ClouDS:

startup screen:
m1un6.png

pretty simple, on the top screen you see some simple instructions, up and down dictates the size of your brush, left and right - the opacity, also in the middle of the dpad is the indication of the size and opacity of the brush you have selected
but what are you drawing? well, with a title like "ClouDS" its pretty obvious
tongue.gif

Gameplay screen:
m2ui6.png

here you can see some clouds have been drawn in a spiral pattern, the canvas doubles as a map screen for gameplay, and in the gameplay all you do is use the stylus to fly around a humble bird on a beautiful blue sky day in the middle of the ocean, accompanied by some fitting music
smile.gif

doesn't sound like much, but its what I'd like
wub.gif

emailing it in now
smile.gif

outphase

Custom title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NDS Canvas Concept
That's quite a hefty work, but maybe you should scale your sample workspace to the appropriate size of a DS screen (256x192). Image processing software is very hefty for a coder (Photoshop is $600 for a reason). Also, it's not called Gimpshop, just Gimp. Good luck and I hope yours doesn't drive your coder crazy if taken.

iJeff

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
NDS Canvas Concept
That's quite a hefty work, but maybe you should scale your sample workspace to the appropriate size of a DS screen (256x192). Image processing software is very hefty for a coder (Photoshop is $600 for a reason). Also, it's not called Gimpshop, just Gimp. Good luck and I hope yours doesn't drive your coder crazy if taken.

Yeah I entered with a mockup at that size already, I just posted a larger one for ease of viewing. As for Gimpshop http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMPshop it's a mod of Gimp to resemble Photoshop's layout.

stingfist

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I sent in an Office DS mockup, seriously why didn't anyone think of editing word documents and excel sheets till now?
smile.gif

I know it might be a crazy work by the way
biggrin.gif

iJeff

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
nsdwordsconceptlargevh0.jpg

NDS Words Concept

Powerful dictionary and thesaurus application for the Nintendo DS. Features the key elements to a pocket dictionary, thesaurus, and includes recreational and archival capabilities.

The top "Dictionary" and "Thesaurus" buttons would switch the function between the two. The universal search entry box is situated in the top-center of the first screen. To manage the menus, a bottom-top 'L' swap system could be implemented so that the user could easily press the 'L' putton to swap the top and bottom screens.

Every feature should be made managable by the stylus as well as by buttons. The interface itself should look professional and should not travel far from a basic colour scheme.

Things to include:

* Text input via virtual keyboard
* Text input via freehand
* Quick search
* Full dictionary
* Full thesaurus
* Linking between definitions and files
* Translation tool
* Audio for pronounciation of word
* Preferences menu including default language changes
* Language files, allowing use in any language
* Word hangman game for specified word
* Word jumble game for specified word
* Word history look-up

This would be pretty difficult to impliment, but it's supposed to be a dream mock-up
wink.gif
. This is based on the capabilities and functions of http://word.sc which I believe would be great on the Nintendo DS.

cheesyPOOF5

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
iJeff, I think everything on there seems plausible except the audio pronunciation feature. I doubt that would be possible unless there's an audio archive of every single word somewhere...

Maktub

Trophies
XP
Country
iJeff, I think everything on there seems plausible except the audio pronunciation feature. I doubt that would be possible unless there's an audio archive of every single word somewhere...
There's a voice... what do you call it... well, anyways a voice "synthetizer" for DS. Very simple, old, buggy one, but I think it might me possible to make the voice feature without having to store up thousand sound files.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0LPrmtVWsA