Google Stadia release, pricing and games announced

stadia.PNG
Does the future of gaming lie in streaming? Google surely thinks so and is betting heavily on it. As scheduled, the company provided details about its platform ahead of E3 during its first Stadia Connect streamed today.

The D Day is sometime in November of this year, when $129 will get you a Stadia Founder's Edition that comes bundled with an exclusive Night Blue Stadia Controller, a Google Chromecast Ultra for streaming to your TV, Destiny 2: The Collection, an exclusive Founder’s Stadia Name, and three months of Stadia Pro without charge for yourself, and three months of Stadia Pro to give away to a friend. With this bundle you can play across laptops, desktops, Pixel 3 and Pixel 3a2 with cross-screen early access from day one.

founder ed.PNG
Note that the Founder Edition bundle is the only way to access Stadia this year. Other subscription services will open up in 2020. Stadia Pro, which is what you get with the Founder's Edition, is priced at $9.99 per month, allows you to play games up to 4K resolution at 60 frames per second with HDR and 5.1 surround sound. The free Stadia Base service which launches next year allows you to buy and keep games capped at 1080p and 60 frames per second with stereo sound but does not allow you to access games for free nor get special discounts which Pro subscribers can enjoy. The controler alone costs $69.

deails.PNG
Regarding connectivity requirements, Google claims that "Stadia works across various connections from 35 Mbps down to a recommended minimum of 10 Mbps" and the platform with match resolution from 4K to 720p according to your network’s speed. Here's a nice infographic for that:

speed test.PNG
As for games, Google announced the following today, with more to come in the future:
  • Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2,​
  • Doom Eternal, Doom (2016)
  • Rage 2, The Elder Scrolls Online
  • Wolfenstein: Youngblood
  • Destiny 2
  • Get Packed
  • Grid
  • Metro Exodus
  • Thumper
  • Farming Simulator 19
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Power Rangers: Battle for the Grid
  • Football Manager
  • Samurai Shodown
  • Final Fantasy XV
  • Tomb Raider Definitive Edition
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Shadow of the Tomb Raider
  • NBA 2K
  • Borderlands 3
  • Gylt
  • Mortal Kombat 11
  • Darksiders Genesis
  • Assassin's Creed Odyssey
  • Just Dance
  • Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Breakpoint
  • Tom Clancy's The Division 2
  • Trials Rising
  • The Crew 2
At launch the Stadia platform will be available in the following 14 countries: US, Canada, UK, Ireland, France, Germany, Italy, Spain, Netherlands, Belgium, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland.

The service will be accessible via a Chromecast Ultra, a regular Chrome browser on any computer, or a Pixel 3/3a smartphone, with support for more smartphones planned in the future.

What do you think of the Stadia after the announcement? Will you be subscribing for a Founder's Edition or you will wait and see how it fares?

:arrow: SOURCE

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Whelp they already fucked this up. Their list of games is all hugely dependant on crisp inputs and any input lag will severely diminish gameplay. What moron picked these games? Get RPGs, turn based games, not fucking precision shooters and fighting games. What a bunch of monkeys.
No moron picked these games I'm sure they've playtested this stadia thing to death and results are same as owning the game with decent connection - if ther gonna go with streaming you go full in not half baked

guily6669

GbaTemp is my Drug
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel this will hurt the gaming industry as a whole on console and especially on the PC.

Devs will become lazy to optimize games since they can just throw those games on stadias powerful pc and servers. Quality of games may also drop due to mobile like environment of a streaming service. Why compete making high-quality games on an over-saturated market when you can make crap games and still make more money with minimal effort?

and whose gonna regulate these games if there are mature contents or full of micro translations if it's accessible by anyone and every device? It's like a big workaround that companies can abuse and capitalize same as the mobile market.
Good streaming gaming services already exists from quite a few years ago...

One of them was Onlive from 2009, it had a few exclusive games too, at the beginning was totally free and you would only buy the games and play them on any PC...

But the only thing I have used it for was just to test the games on my old laptop lol, I would never really buy any game in it:rofl2:.

For them to be bought by Sony in 2015, they weren't probably having that much success.

And for google all I can say is good luck going against Nvidia, Sony and Micro$oft titans, they all have streaming services...

Cyanopsis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Well I couldn't resist so I pre-ordered. I'm really more interested in the tech than the games though. There are a lot of comments on how this is not going to work, but I'm pretty confident Google have their bases covered. They know the gaming community on this level, especially considering the games on the list, is one of the most sensitive and trigger happy group of people on the planet. "Do you guys not have stable internet connections?!"

Reactions: DANTENDO

DANTENDO

I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I couldn't resist so I pre-ordered. I'm really more interested in the tech than the games though. There are a lot of comments on how this is not going to work, but I'm pretty confident Google have their bases covered. They know the gaming community on this level, especially considering the games on the list, is one of the most sensitive and trigger happy group of people on the planet. "Do you guys not have stable internet connections?!"
Well done for pre ordering I just wanna see game tech evolve so let's hope this has minimal issues

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This sounds exactly like Onlive was except no mention of a five minute demo with each game to test it out.
While the likely hood of the service ending and taking your purchases with it is a bit lower with a big company like Google there is a chance they'll leave it on life support if the service doesn't work out for them.
Onlive was up for a good several years but when they fufilled their 3 year service promise on purchases they pulled everything down quickly.
Hopefully Google will offer test trails or the like and I guess Destiny will be free to play eventually so maybe that'll serve as a demo for some.
Google might have good servers but game streaming like this has failed quite a few times before so I'm not expecting much.
Nothing really new here, just a bigger company with more money to toss toward it is all.
We still have ISP data cap issues so who knows if it'll manage if they stick with it long enough.
Let alone enough people with fast enough speeds.
Also notice they speak about resolution size but not input latency which is kind of important and impossible to avoid completely.

One thing I never get is why every streaming game service has to act like their pioneers of some kind of new tech when it's been done so many times before with many of them failing.

If anything Parsec is the better one as it focuses around renting computers for the intent of gaming without any account junk holding things down. Plus more options and server choices.
Liquidsky also did this in a more simplified manner but they shut down.

Eh I hope it does alright but with my experience of Onlive years back I'm certainly not gonna purchase a game ala cart.
I might try the well priced 10 dollars a month but they aren't too clear about what ya get game wise.
Guess we'll find out when its out.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I've always thought consoles are a nightmare for preservation.

I've had my steam account for many years (Since Quake 2), and I can go back to those old games any time I want to. Yes, some games can be removed due to licenses, but its a really rare thing. I don't think I've lost a game on my 400+ games list yet. The best part is that I can play those games even though I've gone through multiple generations of consoles. Ps1, Ps2, PS3, and soon the ps4 have all come and gone into the closet to collect dust. If I want to play the ps2 games again, doesn't have HDMI, so that's another pain.

But my steam list is still going strong, and easy to install anything. No need to connect anything to my TV. No need to worry about cable types. No need to worry about scratched CD's. The main thing you can worry about is that it ruins the used game market, which is a valid point, but has been creeping up on us for a long time now.

But think about my 2nd point. No more hackers! No more wall-cheats, aimbots, farm bots. None of that crap! The only data being transferred from you is the controller inputs. Online gaming will become clean again!
online lag will be worse imo becuase now google servers will handle the connection of thousands of people to other company servers and back, i dont see a good thing coming out of a single server asking for thousands of connets to other 3rd party servers and then send them back to each person ending up welll, i see alot of lag there.

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
online lag will be worse imo becuase now google servers will handle the connection of thousands of people to other company servers and back, i dont see a good thing coming out of a single server asking for thousands of connets to other 3rd party servers and then send them back to each person ending up welll, i see alot of lag there.

Their controller connecting directly to Wifi is a smart move to reduce input lag. But, you're right in being skeptical. If they ever release SF5 for it, I'm pretty sure that the input lag couldn't get any worse than it already is :P

titan_tim

(Can't shut up)
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
There are GPUs in all ranges, you went to the most expensive ones. I was talking about the free stadia option, 1080p/60fps, you can do that with a $200 gpu and if you pirate then you dont have to spend money on games..... after buying 3 games in stadia you already spent the $200 dollars and you still dont have any gpu.

Either way, if stadia turns out to be a good / cheap option, im prepared:

We will see
s9Ikq0v

I went to the most expensive GPU because it shows the price/time value easily. You'd never get your money's worth (Unless you pirate a lot).

A $200 gpu today will never run the newest of the new games at 1080p with all settings set to high quality at 60fps. But the comparison still works on those GPU's since their ability to play the newest games at 60fps decreases fast every year. After two years, you're looking at 1080p, 30fps at medium settings for the biggest games. At that point, you can upgrade to another $200 video card, but that could be a nuisance to some (Not me, but some). You'd basically break even in that case.

Edit: Just checked, the RX580 is the best for that price, but it is just under 60fps on many games set to high. (FF15 is especially painful).
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-...80-Desktop-Graphics-Card-Review.344736.0.html

But yes, you'd completely lose the ability to pirate with stadia. On a bright note, you'd also be able to play games online without aim bots and wall hacks, so that's nice :)

raxadian

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Considering how you will need expensive fast as hell Internet, you might as well get these games on a Nintendo Switch or PS4 instead. That way you don't hog the Internet and can use it for something else.

This is even worse that the diskless Xbox thingie.

cottonMOUSE

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.furaffinity.net
XP
Country
United States
Considering how you will need expensive fast as hell Internet, you might as well get these games on a Nintendo Switch or PS4 instead. That way you don't hog the Internet and can use it for something else.

This is even worse that the diskless Xbox thingie.
I have 1000Mbit internet and it costs $45 per month..

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 1000Mbit internet and it costs $45 per month..

Let me guess, no bandwidth caps?

He lays it out very well, with a 1 TB cap, you won't be able to play games very long over this crappy cloud system. And here's the kicker, most ISPs have a cap and charge a shitload to get unlimited data.

Last edited by the_randomizer,

cottonMOUSE

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.furaffinity.net
XP
Country
United States
Let me guess, no bandwidth caps?

He lays it out very well, with a 1 TB cap, you won't be able to play games very long over this crappy cloud system. And here's the kicker, most ISPs have a cap and charge a shitload to get unlimited data.

No caps on mine. Here in the Midwest, caps haven't been a thing for years.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill