GBAtemp 台灣人
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Google held a conference today at Moscone Center in San Francisco, California, revealing statistics and news on their popular mobile operating system, Android. The latest figures show that Android has hit a total of 100 million activations as of 2011, with the Android Market hitting 4.5 billion downloads. But to Android fans around the globe, the most significant news is definitely in the form that Google also revealed its two latest forms of Android today: Ice Cream Sandwich for mobile phones, and Honeycomb 3.1 for tablets.

Ice Cream Sandwich, said to be planned to hit in Q4 2011, will be bringing over the holographic UI and fancier widgets from Honeycomb 3.0, amongst other new features. Google has stated that Ice Cream Sandwich is their "most ambitious release [of Android] to date", with their sightlines set on creating "one OS that runs on anything".

As for Honeycomb 3.1, users of the Motorola Xoom on Verizon in the USA will be happy to know they can get the latest update right now. Honeycomb 3.1 adds USB host support for Android, allowing users to connect many devices to their Android tablet at one time. The other new features are changes to the UI. The widgets can now be customized to stretch vertically or horizontally any way that developers choose. There will also be new apps included, such as Movie Studio for video editing, new Movies and Books apps, and a faster Internet browser. Honeycomb 3.1 will also be heading to Google TV.

And possibly the best news of all is that Google revealed its plans to get regular updates for their Android OS across most of the devices. It was revealed that Google had meetings with cell phone manufacturers and carriers to set up "a strict system of how soon after the release of a new version of Android will handsets be updated". Cell phone manufacturers are said to now be required to update all their devices to the latest version of Android within the period of 18 months after their device hit the market, as long as the hardware supports it. This list includes manufacturing giants Sony Ericsson, Samsung, HTC, LG, and Motorola, as well as major carriers from around the world like Verizon, Vodafone, AT&T, and more.[/p]
icon11.gif
Source

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I read about this on Engadget.... The only thing I want from Google is device support. I would like it if Htc etc. just took care of the hardware, and google would be in charge of providing the android updates. Maybe through a Itunes like computer application. There are just to many phones out there with outdated versions of android. I am pleased that they are taking a step in the right direction.
smile.gif

Quietlyawesome94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ShadowSoldier said:
Ice Cream Sandwich? Is the world really running out of ideas for better names?

I want an ice cream sandwich now, damn.

Android has always had its Firmwares named after deserts. They probably call it Ice Cream Sandwich because it wlll be optimized for tablets and phones alike.

:Phone = top half of sandwich
:Android = the yummy cream
:Tablet = Bottom half of Sandwich

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
ShadowSoldier said:

Android was always named after desserts since Version 1.5. We've seen: 1.5 (Donut), 1.6 (Cupcake), 2.0/2.1 (Eclair), 2.2 (Froyo), 2.3 (Gingerbread), and 3.0/3.1 (Honeycomb) already. Ice Cream Sandwich would just be a follow-up to the trend.

Also, apparently they named it Ice Cream Sandwich because Ice Cream itself is too similar to Frozen Yogurt (Froyo).

CannonFoddr

Regular GBATemp Lurker
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
CarbonX13 said:
ShadowSoldier said:

Android was always named after desserts since Version 1.5. We've seen: 1.5 (Donut), 1.6 (Cupcake), 2.0/2.1 (Eclair), 2.2 (Froyo), 2.3 (Gingerbread), and 3.0/3.1 (Honeycomb) already. Ice Cream Sandwich would just be a follow-up to the trend.

Also, apparently they named it Ice Cream Sandwich because Ice Cream itself is too similar to Frozen Yogurt (Froyo).
So what'll be the next Android - 'Jelly' ??

LunaWofl

Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
CannonFoddr said:
CarbonX13 said:
ShadowSoldier said:

So what'll be the next Android - 'Jelly' ??
Sure, the slogan can be "U Jelly?"

Z

Zorua

Wow, 2.4's gonna come out and I'm still on 2.1. Stupid Motorla. Shouldn't have bought Defy.
sad.gif

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
SamAsh07 said:
After Jelly, it'll be Caramel.
'D' was Cupcake, (then Donut, Eclair, FroYo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich) after jelly (assuming that's the name) will be one that starts with a 'K'

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.