Google Reveals New Versions of Android with Other Android News

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by CarbonX13, May 10, 2011.

1. CarbonX13
    OP

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Google held a conference today at Moscone Center in San Francisco, California, revealing statistics and news on their popular mobile operating system, Android. The latest figures show that Android has hit a total of 100 million activations as of 2011, with the Android Market hitting 4.5 billion downloads. But to Android fans around the globe, the most significant news is definitely in the form that Google also revealed its two latest forms of Android today: Ice Cream Sandwich for mobile phones, and Honeycomb 3.1 for tablets.

Ice Cream Sandwich, said to be planned to hit in Q4 2011, will be bringing over the holographic UI and fancier widgets from Honeycomb 3.0, amongst other new features. Google has stated that Ice Cream Sandwich is their "most ambitious release [of Android] to date", with their sightlines set on creating "one OS that runs on anything".

As for Honeycomb 3.1, users of the Motorola Xoom on Verizon in the USA will be happy to know they can get the latest update right now. Honeycomb 3.1 adds USB host support for Android, allowing users to connect many devices to their Android tablet at one time. The other new features are changes to the UI. The widgets can now be customized to stretch vertically or horizontally any way that developers choose. There will also be new apps included, such as Movie Studio for video editing, new Movies and Books apps, and a faster Internet browser. Honeycomb 3.1 will also be heading to Google TV.

And possibly the best news of all is that Google revealed its plans to get regular updates for their Android OS across most of the devices. It was revealed that Google had meetings with cell phone manufacturers and carriers to set up "a strict system of how soon after the release of a new version of Android will handsets be updated". Cell phone manufacturers are said to now be required to update all their devices to the latest version of Android within the period of 18 months after their device hit the market, as long as the hardware supports it. This list includes manufacturing giants Sony Ericsson, Samsung, HTC, LG, and Motorola, as well as major carriers from around the world like Verizon, Vodafone, AT&T, and more.[/p]
    [​IMG] Source

2. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I read about this on Engadget.... The only thing I want from Google is device support. I would like it if Htc etc. just took care of the hardware, and google would be in charge of providing the android updates. Maybe through a Itunes like computer application. There are just to many phones out there with outdated versions of android. I am pleased that they are taking a step in the right direction. [​IMG]

3. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Ice Cream Sandwich? Is the world really running out of ideas for better names?

I want an ice cream sandwich now, damn.

4. Quietlyawesome94

Member Quietlyawesome94 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Android has always had its Firmwares named after deserts. They probably call it Ice Cream Sandwich because it wlll be optimized for tablets and phones alike.

:Phone = top half of sandwich
    :Android = the yummy cream
    :Tablet = Bottom half of Sandwich

5. CarbonX13
    OP

Member CarbonX13 GBAtemp 台灣人

Taiwan
    Android was always named after desserts since Version 1.5. We've seen: 1.5 (Donut), 1.6 (Cupcake), 2.0/2.1 (Eclair), 2.2 (Froyo), 2.3 (Gingerbread), and 3.0/3.1 (Honeycomb) already. Ice Cream Sandwich would just be a follow-up to the trend.

Also, apparently they named it Ice Cream Sandwich because Ice Cream itself is too similar to Frozen Yogurt (Froyo).

6. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    Honeycomb's nothing new.

Ice cream sandwich though... uhm... yeah. That's a long name for a build.

7. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    Too bad I just sold my HTC Desire 2 days ago, oh well. Enjoy the updates guys [​IMG]

8. CannonFoddr

Member CannonFoddr Regular GBATemp Lurker

United Kingdom
    So what'll be the next Android - 'Jelly' ??

9. FrozenIndignatio

Member FrozenIndignatio Tyrant R. of ye olde Prinny Squad

Australia
    Sure, the slogan can be "U Jelly?"

10. Thesolcity

Member Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

United States
    Next one will be, "No, I'm Flan.".

11. Zorua

Zorua Newbie

Wow, 2.4's gonna come out and I'm still on 2.1. Stupid Motorla. Shouldn't have bought Defy. [​IMG]

12. SamAsh07

Member SamAsh07 GBAtemp Addict

Bahrain
    After Jelly, it'll be Caramel.

13. mercluke

Member mercluke ‮҉

Australia
    'D' was Cupcake, (then Donut, Eclair, FroYo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb, Ice Cream Sandwich) after jelly (assuming that's the name) will be one that starts with a 'K'

14. prowler

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    I had a look on the xda forums and you've got a choice to upgrade to CM7 which is more better than vanilla Android.