thank
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, I know there's this thread:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/anime-3.292163/
And I'm tired of seeing the same anime/cartoons circlejerking it to the top of so many lists simply because they were dubbed for American television. Pokémon, in my experience, is the only anime that has ever been "better" with a dub. I'd consider Game of Thrones (though not an anime) to be "realistic" in a sense, as the plot doesn't rely on miracles or incredible coincidences to advance -- many things are inherently related.

I also use the term "realistic" loosely for lack of a better word -- I just meant that in a character way, as in the anime doesn't just stick to cliches and tweak them a little bit (i.e. Kanon -- male protagonist, wants to help everyone, has amnesia and his memories are the "key to everything", all the girls are helpless and have tragic stories, bla bla bla).

My favorite anime is, without a doubt, Clannad + After Story. It's the only one that got me (call me a little girl, I guess) emotionally involved enough to actually cry at multiple plot apexes. ef - A Tale of (Memories/Melodies) was also pretty damn good. I was told "Toradora!" was considered similar in tone, but I found that everything it dealt with was... relatively trivial. There was (idk if spoiler? just incase)
no dealing with death -- one of the most prevalent, important themes in much of... everything, and it was the reason I liked SAO at first -- and pointlessly dramatic scenes, much reminiscent of Angel Beats.
I'm not necessarily looking for an anime with a happy ending (Grave of the Fireflies was excellent, as was Elfen Lied), but rather one that at least develops its characters significantly and branches out over multiple themes as opposed to just linear "comedy" (FLCL, not bashing it, it's great, just not what I'm looking for right now) or "romance" (Zero no Tsukaima was awful, I don't know why people recommend it so frequently, #flatIsJustice I guess).

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am still episode 20, so I don't really know much about breaking into seasons. From what i have seen so far, it has some stop points throughout the plot, but it's very minimal.

Jax

Pip Pip Cheerioink!
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
My Ordinary Life (Nichijou)

Just kidding, it's not ordinary AT ALL!
But it's one of the funniest animes I've ever seen!

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
First off, I know there's this thread:
*too big*
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui! (a great currently airing anime comedy/slice of life)
I will also +1 welcome to the nhk.

Also might I recommend you download a eroge(erotic but great visual novel (not really a novel it is a anime where you make decisions like a vn tho)) named School Days HQ, if you are into that sort of thing.

Saturosias

thank
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
eroge(erotic but great visual novel (not really a novel it is a anime where you make decisions like a vn tho)) named School Days HQ, if you are into that sort of thing.

Might you know if it's similar to Muv-Luv? I don't mind if there's eroge, while I don't pursue it either, but if the story aside is good I might try it.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Might you know if it's similar to Muv-Luv? I don't mind if there's eroge, while I don't pursue it either, but if the story aside is good I might try it.
It is pretty much the greatest eroge ever(slice of life anyway). Just download it, if you are ok with eroges then you are missing out. jast usa version is the official sub/uncensored (also only one that prob isnt dead)

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am damn surprised to see someone who has actually watched Ef.
I thought I was the only one. (have both on bluray...so gorgeous)

Anohana
Steins;gate

I'll second both of those.
Both utterly fantastic in their own way.

As for my suggestions...
Heaven's Memopad (Kamisama no Memochou)
Kobato (? maybe. I'd call it slice of life, but anything Kobato does is hardly normal...)
Usagi Drop

Other than that, off the top of my head, I can't think of any slice of life with strong stories that you haven't already mentioned.

Saturosias

thank
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ahh, thanks for the suggestions, I guess I'll have my hands full for a while checking those out :3

Side note, are there any anime review sites that aren't, well... either run by 12-year-olds or heavily biased reviewers? Like, there's this one guy I stumbled across on YouTube (he's admittedly not the most entertaining, but very direct imo) that actually goes in-depth in his reviews and explains exactly why he [dis]likes a particular area of an anime. [below is relevant but rant-ish, just explaining why I "don't just Google a site"]
This is in stark contrast to where you see people mass-upvoting crap like SAO (I don't want this to turn into a flame thing, this is obviously just my opinion about SAO, it was bland and threw around "gaming" terms & fanservice to get pubescent viewers) just because "everyone else" watches it. I looked at stuff like "T.H.E.M. Anime Reviews", but they throw around 5-star ratings to about 20% of the animes listed there, and stuff like this for Ouran HSHC:
the episodes seem to consist of nothing but what would usually be deemed as "filler episodes." But that is what made Love Hina so popular [..]
It's just one example of Stockholm Syndrome at work on those kinds of sites, and the stuff that makes drivel like Fairy Tail so popular.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
Watashi ga Motenai no wa Dou Kangaete mo Omaera ga Warui!

watching that series as it goes myself with the other half and we both enjoy it

others ive watched recently and enjoyed with the other half:
The "Hentai" Prince and the Stony Cat. (dont judge it on the name, its really good)
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
watching that series as it goes myself with the other half and we both enjoy it

others ive watched recently and enjoyed with the other half:
The "Hentai" Prince and the Stony Cat. (dont judge it on the name, its really good)
The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
I also liked liked the hentai prince and the stony cat (its not a hentai btw) but I didnt recommend it cause he said he is looking for something realistic.

Pong20302000

making notes on everything
Trophies
Website
3dsdb.com
XP
Country
I also liked liked the hentai prince and the stony cat (its not a hentai btw) but I didnt recommend it cause he said he is looking for something realistic.

was it me of was the ending sad at points

have you seen "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou" or "Sankarea" both very good

its hard to hold everything in when the emotions run high
its like GOD DAM IT MAN HOLD IT IN
other half sitting there like a rock

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim: @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit