Good MMO's these days?

VLinh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its been quite difficult looking for good MMORPG's these days, and ive been searching and searching and couldnt find one i didnt find interesting, but i am judging a book by its cover but i wanted to know what you guys are currently playing and maybe i can give it a shot, so if you could list some you might think I like or ones you are currently playing, it be appreciated.

Thanks!

TornZero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm thinking you're looking for a free MMO.

Here's a few for you:

• Shaiya (shaiya.aeriagames.com) Similar to WoW in some aspects, but it's really quite different. There is a war going on between the Vail and Elves (who fought for land trying to follow the will of their goddess, creating the Union of Fury and the Alliance of Light respectively). The goddess of light brought humans to the Elves' aid, while the goddess of fury brought in the Nordein (or "Deatheaters") to the Vail's. Massive PvP battles (most involve parties) take place, and there's plenty of things to keep you going (more and more quests, grinding to reach the max level, best equipment, PvP rankings, etc.).

• Shin Megami Tensei: IMAGINE ("MegaTen" in short)(megaten.aeriagames.com) An MMORPG based on a timeline between Shin Megami Tensei and Shin Megami Tensei II. The year is 202X, where demons conquered the planet and chaos reigned (due to the choices of the Shin Megami Tensei I protagonist). The only resistance against them (and the last hope for the planet's restoration) is humans called Demon Busters (or "DB" for short). They use a Demon Summoning Program to not only battle, but negotiate and recruit demons for their use. The recruited demons can be fused together to create more powerful demons (or weaker demons with better skills through inheritance), they can be fused with items (to make more powerful items), and they have their own leveling system (separate from the humans' leveling system) as well, so they get stronger with you.

• S4 League (actually an MMOTPS [third-person shooter] but still worth looking at since there's an MMORPG storyline included)(s4.en.alaplaya.net) Players are able to fight (a max of 6v6) each other in enormous arenas in deathmatches, touchdown matches (basically tricked-out football), and Chaser mode (players take turns either killing everyone or running away from the Chaser, which makes it feel a bit like "Tag" to me but it's fun), or they can ally with each other in Arcade Mode, where they follow a storyline that's corrupting those who find their way into your "personal training ground".
- Things that make it different:
- A multitude of weaponry, including swords, guns, and even a bat to smash the opposition away, or even off the arena.
- Plenty of skills, such as flight, turning to metal to not only decrease damage, but heal yourself and reflect some of the damage as well, creating large blocks to stop an opponent in their tracks, or protect yourself and allies from fire, invisibility so you can easily sneak past anyone you don't want to fight or you just want to kill from 2 feet behind them and plenty more.
- Plenty of arenas that can give either team an advantage, as well as having random spawn points in some areas (unlike many FPS/TPS games I've seen with a fixed spawn no matter the map).

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Shaiya - you choose mode. depending it gets from quick fun to hardcore grinding to once dead forever dead.

MegaTen - repetive playstyle. Only thing worth mention is the fusing parts. Fighting might not be your kind of interest.

S4 League - If you ever played a FPS game that requires real skills. Then this game is not for you. You end up like me killing vast of enemies while only dying a few.

Now what i want to list

Aika Online - High quility graphics. Good amount of quest until lvl 50. While max level is 50 until expansion 1 which is already released in US but not Global. PvP orientated game up to 1000vs1000 and nation wars. Thats when the fun begins :3

WoW - If you have the money......

Jade Dynasty - Easily lvling until lvl 60-80s. Botting system

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
@PeregrinFig : Agreed through but the bad things is ignoring the crafting system means your doom. Lvling is quite repetive and quest is not enough for leveling. Dungeons is quite hard without a high lvled tank and 2 mid or high(for last boss) healers for the very first dungeon that starts around lvl 20-35. Im not sure how much they have fixed but holding AGGRO in that game is nearly impossible. I played the CB and OB and the fact that i never touched it after OB might be clearly shown here. Im not sure if they have fixed the aggro issue but the damage based class simply deals 10 times more than tanks and generate aggro at 10 times speed faster than the tank. Not only that but the boss simply have the ability to 2 hit you and are you unlucky and gets sleeped or any of the other healers getting sleeped it would wipe your whole party within 10 seconds.

prowler

Sony
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
Cosmic Break.
Servers are closed until the start of September (It's still in Beta) but once they open again I suggest you trying it out.

Though it's not an RPG, it gets boring just playing MMORPG's all the time.

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Exteel and Gunz are fun, but kind of casual. Exteel is a mecha-based MMOTPS with classical deathmatch & co. modes and GunZ is alos a MMOTPS but with "matrix moves". High jumps, walking on the walls while firing,... And you can also use katanas.

EDIT : Forget about Exteel, the servers are going to close on september 1st...

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Here are some I play casually and that i find quite enjoyable

Drift City (on ijji.com, ull find a lot more game there)
Its a car racing game with lots of car and drift
tongue.gif

http://drift.ijji.com/

DFO (Dungeon Fighter Online, Nexon distributes the NA version)
Plays just like a 2D beat em up with combo system u buy ur skill as u lvl
http://dungeonfighter.nexon.net/

Ace Online / Air Rivals (2 different localization, Used to be called Space Cowboy online)
3D plane/spaceship fighting game, lots of action, quick pace dogfight and player skill makes a difference
tongue.gif

http://airrivals.net/
http://ace.subagames.com/

Shattered Galaxies (used to play a long time ago
tongue.gif
)
Its kinda like an MMO version of Starcraft.
http://www.sgalaxy.com/

Some of the stuff i play was posted earlier so i wont repeat it.

Ive been looking at Deepolis lately, i might try it out eventually.
http://www.deepolis.com/

I play other stuff as well but i dont wanna make a 3 page list of everything i enjoy
tongue.gif

Ritsuki

ORAORAORAORA
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
ThatDudeWithTheFood said:
You wanna play grand chase with a fellow temper im going to try it out today so we could like level together and stuff

What's that MMO ? I'm also looking for a good online game.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Grand chase is kinda fun, but i got more interested in DFO after i tried it.

Grand chase plays like a 2D platformer lets say sonic or mario but obviously different gameplay
tongue.gif

Also GC has a lot lot of timed item. So if u don't play for 2 weeks for exemple, u come back to have a naked char lol
But there are some infinite duration item that arent as good unless u use real money for some better stuff.

DFO on the other hand as more of a Guardian Heroes (Sega Saturn) style, which is awesome.
You can compare it to games like Battletoad, Final Fight, Street of Rage, Double Dragon etc...
U only need real money to customize ur avatar or be able to auction stuff, although u can still trade for free and avatar item arent necessary unless u want a different look so badly and u need the stats for HIgh end PvP. I can win alot with my lvl 26 Berserker which has no cash item so if/whenever i get lvl 50-60 ill decide if i wanna invest into more PvP intense stuff
tongue.gif

Anyways, both are fun imo and u should try em.

Bluestainedroses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suggest you play LaTale, if you get over the annoying new guys asking everyone for help. You're pretty much settled. Graphics are wonderful even though they're in 2D, Storyline is pretty decent and the music playing in the background always fits the mood.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
Exteel>GunZ>Cosmic Break

Seriously Cosmic Break is using loli girls for promotions -.-"

Grandchase is a totally failure really. HORRIBLE DUBS, the voice gets annoying after 5 min of gameplay. Bad jumping controls that results that you die on some certain maps quite a few times before you get used to it. Having real cash in the game will always make you own everyone in the game. Upgrading becomes easy and getting new characters takes you no more than 5 seconds aslong as you have cash. Special dungeons for special awards still requires you to pay- Lets just say paying makes you a god.

LaTale is indeed one of the best graphically 2D game i have ever played. The music is incredible and the huge amount of skills makes you never bored... hopefully becasue it bored me lol. Lets just keep this straight. THE TRANSLATION IS POOR. It made me puke by the so poor translation. I dont know how much of it they have fixed but seriously... The controls is same as Grandchase, clumsy annyoing controls... And the job advancement is at lvl 80? No, i dont intend to grind for that level.

Bluestainedroses

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DarkStriker said:
LaTale is indeed one of the best graphically 2D game i have ever played. The music is incredible and the huge amount of skills makes you never bored... hopefully becasue it bored me lol. Lets just keep this straight. THE TRANSLATION IS POOR. It made me puke by the so poor translation. I dont know how much of it they have fixed but seriously... The controls is same as Grandchase, clumsy annyoing controls... And the job advancement is at lvl 80? No, i dont intend to grind for that level.

Lol, well i never honestly saw anything wrong with the controls, they were easy to use and were always responsive. The music changed alot from uppity-melodies to sad melodramatic sounds. which is a large change for having such cute characters. The translation, i don't really mind. They've probably fixed it up alot for me to say that, though. And yeah, the job thing annoyed the hell out of me, But the quests kinda keep you going anyway, when i finished most quests, i was at level 50, last 30 levels i pretty much teamed up with my friends to randomly destroy monsters, which was pretty fun, when i was around level 70 again (also becoming leader of my team.) We started doing the rest of the quests together.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Depends a lot what you're into.

For PvP:
Ragnarok Online private servers.
Really can't be beat for a straight MMORPG PVP experience. The games PvP system is amazing. Character customization via stat builds, skill builds, and a crapton of equipment+cards makes for tons of variety. Though i'll say right now, you could have god-tier equips, and still lose in a fight if you don't have the skills to win against a more skilled opponent. It isn't WoW. You don't have spell rotations, and your equipment doesn't equal your skill. You need to actually be good at the game, and know what the hell you're doing before you can survive in PvP.
The game is fairly easy to learn, and very hard to master, due to the shear amount of knowledge you need to memorize.

Also there is a good variety in classes.
http://iro.ragnarokonline.com/game/jobintro.asp

For cute things:
Aika Online.
Overall it's a fairly decent MMO. You level with quest grinding. It can be a bit of a pain to level up at times. But the combat is fluid and the PvP isn't bad.
The biggest plus for Aika is its pet system. Every character eventually gets a Pran.
it stars as a fairy, but once you level it up a bit it can transform into a little girl.
I swear to god they are the CUTEST things i've ever seen. I played the game just to level my Pran.
Not to mention later-game you can have it get older, and it will take on certain personalities if you talk to it certain ways during conversations. My favorite is Tough I believe it's called, your Pran will every so often pelvic thrust in front of a monster you're fighting. It's hilarious.

For a unique experience:
Shin Megami Tensei: Imagine Online
It's incredibly unique and in-depth. It's really hard for me to explain it fully, but it's damn fun.
The best part is of course, demons. You can capture, raise, and fuse demons. Like the usual SMT games. Your demon is a HUGE part of a battle, so you definitely need to keep up with it. It's very fun. Unfortunately it does suffer from being F2P. To level up at a realistic speed, you pretty much need to buy cash shop items to increase exp rates.

S4 League: Third person shooter, and one of the best you'll find. Cash shop helps a lot though, and it's expensive as fuck. No perma items from what I remember. So the game can get a little "pay2win"ish.

I'd suggest more, but I work better suggesting more specific MMO's based on what a person likes.
I've played damn near any English-friendly MMO you can name (excluding the bottom-of-the-barrel MMO's, though even then...i've played a few of those).
I'm a hardcore MMO gamer at the best of times, so i'm pretty good in this area.
When I get bored, I scavenge for new experiences via MMO's, and tend to have around 10 downloading at once at peak boredom.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y