Good MMO's these days?

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WoW private servers started going sour after BC, but mostly everything just fell right off a cliff around WotLK.

Pretty much to this day i've never seen private servers truly surpass, or at least match, official server quality, except for Ragnarok Online. You can find craptons of RO servers miles better then official servers. Granted, RO private servers have been out for ages.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
lol that kinda confirm what i said, it was fine when i tried before BC and like u said they have gone sour.

As for RO i used to play on a real good private, i think it got renamed now but if im not mistaken its still kicking and it used to be great, id have to check my old email to confirm though lol.

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if someone has already answered this. But an element that might be neat to consider.

Free MMO's that rival paid MMO's in complexity, depth, and user base.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Pirates of the Burning Sea is going F2P nov 22nd. I played Beta and a while after launch. I really enjoy it.

Well i did enjoy Voyage century online (Bounty Bay Online) but the grinding and item mall made it crap, BBO was better in a way.

But PotBS is a really great game on a different scale imo, lots of PvP focus but u can still just PvE and do some market stuff and the char customization is great ^^

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
F2P games usually have a pretty high playerbase, assuming they're good.
Usually the things that make F2P games bad are 1: low rates, 2: Too many gambling mechanics, 3: Overpowered cash shop items.
Usually the games themselves are pretty good, but get vastly overshadowed by those 3 things. Grand Fantasia is a good example of that. I quite enjoyed it (despite it being supremely unbalanced in the PvP department), but the rates were ridiculous and had you grinding even at low levels, and everything involved gambling, with the cash shop helping way, way too much to make people better and richer faster. Without those flaws, I think it would be a very fun game to have played long term.

SS4

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I totally agree with you H M, its hard to find a F2P that has a good balance. Well i can play competitivly in Drift city without the use of cash item, although i havent played in a while dunno if they have gotten worse over time lol. But some F2P makes it possible to have fun and win in PvP even without cash item. I used to play Shattered Galaxies and i was getting top kills in a map pretty often.

But ill be keeping my eyes out for when PotBS goes F2P coz it was a great game when it was P2P, lets hope they get the balance right.

Ethevion

Wannabe Artist
Trophies
Website
www.lvlupart.com
XP
Country
Canada
If you're looking for free to play, then try Soul of the Ultimate Nation by ijji. It has amazing graphics, fun gameplay, and an interesting storyline. The character classes are interesting too, they are pretty well balanced and have a lot of thought put into them.

keine

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, a F2P that doesn't have any cash mechanic would be the best. People would HAVE to play the game. I have no interest in paying for swords etc, battling w/ people who are overpowered simply due to cash. If thats the case, I'd rather just go P2P and play w/ people who are actually playing the game.

This topic is interesting to me, cause I need something to pass some time, get really addicted to.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FencingFoxFTW said:
I still have Grand Fantasia installed from the Closed Beta days

looked cool but kinda grindy

It only gets really grindy around...crap, level 50 or something. You get special skills, I forget what they're called or how they worked, that require experience to get. So you either get millions of exp for these skills, or train your level. It really sucked, and is abouts when my entire guild quit, ahah.

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
two good mmos in my opinion is

world of warcraft if your willing to shell out money monthly is better than most of the free mmorpgs.

i think team fortress two is an mmo(not sure) but it is an excellent fps.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've already gone over several times why WoW is crap.

TF2 isn't an MMO. We could argue that it's an MMOFPS, but we really don't need to be corrupting the MMO title by associating it with EVERY game with a popular online system.

FencingFoxFTW

Trophies
XP
Country
Im playing Wonderland Online right now

turn based, graphics between SNES-PS1

kinda grindy too, but which free-to-play MMORPG isn't? and anyway there is a party system called burst where you do a series of buff/debuffs to boost experience gains like crazy

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
GundamXXX said:
Im throwing in Guild Wars

Why? Its a good MMO, its a once off purchase, no monthly fees and theres a good deal for the trilogy on Steam!
As an avid supporter of GW, I agree. It has a very robust PvP system, a fairly large player base, and PvE has never been so fun.
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Cool.