Good Japanese-only releases?

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by proctology, Jun 30, 2012.

1. proctology
    OP

proctology Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2012
    United States
    This forum has been a great help in finding out about DS games to try - but it seems like mostly English games are being discussed. What are some good Japan-only releases? Doesn't matter if it has an English patch or not (I'm not super high level but shouldn't have trouble with most games). Any genre is fine. Thanks!

1 person likes this.

2. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    Mother 3 is a fantastic game.

3. Dingoo-fan 32

Dingoo-fan 32 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 24, 2011
    Brazil
    Ace Attorney investigations 2, Tales of Hearts... These 2 are the only ones i can remember

4. nachoscool

nachoscool Outer Heaven Janitor Rank Z

Jun 30, 2012
    United States
    8 Mile
    Jump Ultimate Stars is a great DS fighter and it has A LOT of anime characters.

1 person likes this.
  5. Ammako

Ammako GBAtemp Guru

Dec 22, 2009
    Canada
    Nanashi no Game

6. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    Megaman Operating Shooting Star

1 person likes this.
  7. Sora de Eclaune

Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    • Nanashi no Game - Survival/Horror - There are rumors about a cursed game that kills you in the real world within seven days, and you've just received it. - Translation Patch Available
    • Jump Ultimate Stars - Fighting - Smash Brothers-style fighting game on the DS with Manga characters - Translation Patch Available
    • SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu: Goddess of Destiny - RPG - Your father's gone missing and you have to collect all the macguffins to save the world! - Translation Patch Available
    • Tales of Innocence - Action/RPG - You find out you have a past life, and suddenly you have to go on the run! - Translation Patch Available
    • Soma Bringer - Action/RPG - A group of mercenaries finds a girl in the forest, and she has amnesia. What follows is how she gets her memory back. - Translation Patch Available
    • Love Plus - Dating Sim / Visual Novel - Find and obtain your perfect girlfriend! - Translation Patch Available
    • Otometeki Koi Kakume Love Revo - Dating Sim / Visual Novel - Find and obtain your perfect boyfriend...with a twist: you're fat and ugly, and no one will date you until you're thin and cute! - Translation Patch Available
    • Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 1st Love Plus - Dating Sim / Visual Novel - Find and obtain your perfect boyfriend! - Translation Patch Available
    • Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2nd Season - Dating Sim / Visual Novel - Find and obtain your perfect boyfriend! - Translation Patch Available
    • Cross Treasures - Action/Adventure - You came to the island for one thing: treasure. The only way you can get it, however, is by traversing a dungeon! - Multiple Translation Patches Available
    • Tales of Hearts - Action/RPG - I have no idea - Translation Patch in the Works
    • Blood of Bahamut - Action/RPG - I'm guessing you have to defeat Bahamut...? - Translation Patch in the Works
    • SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha: Shadow or Light - RPG - Travel through time and save the world! - Translation Patch in the Works, though early ones are available
    • Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! - Music/Rhythm - You play the Ouendan, the cheerleaders of the universe. Help people get over their problems with song, dance, and cheers! - Requires No Japanese to Play
    • Moero Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii! Osu Tatakae Ouendan 2- Music/Rhythm - You play the Ouendan, the cheerleaders of the universe. Help people get over their problems with song, dance, and cheers! - Requires No Japanese to Play
    • Taiko no Tatsujin DS - Music/Rhythm - Bang on your Taiko drum to the music! - Requires No Japanese to Play
    • Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: 7tsu no Shima no Daibouken - Music/Rhythm - Bang on your Taiko drum to the music, and defeat opposing Taiko drummers to obtain the ultimate Taiko dojo. - Requires No Japanese to Play
    • Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Dororon Yokai Daikessen - Music/Rhythm - Bang on your Taiko drum to the music and travel throughout the land so you can get back home! - Requires No Japanese to Play
    • Utacchi! - Music/Rhythm - Tap, flick, scribble, and hold to sing to the music. - Requires No Japanese to Play
    • Tales of the Tempest - Action/RPG - I have absolutely no idea.
    • Nanashi no Game Me - Survival/Horror - The cursed game is back with a sequel?!

2 people like this.
  8. VMM

VMM Hamon > Stand

GBAtemp Patron
    VMM is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 1, 2010
    Brazil
    I always wondered what would it be if there was released a Jump game to 3DS
    I think it would be interesting to have all those manga characters with all their new power and abilities,
    in a game with the best of the graphic that 3DS can do

I wonder why there wasn't Hajime no Ippo on Jump series for DS

That's one of the reasons I want 3DS to be hacked,
    we would be able to play games that are locked per region

3 people like this.
  9. jjjewel

jjjewel GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2009
    United States
    Here are some other music games that don't require much Japanese knowledge.
    - Nodame Cantabile (Classical music. Cute graphic. Pretty easy.)
    - Rhythm de Cooking - Sweets party e Youkoso (Cute graphic. Very easy.)
    - Rhythm de Run Run Run (Funny graphic. The difficult mode can be frustrating, but it's fun.)
    - The Kayou Generation (Some Japanese oldies. Funny graphic. Moderately difficult.)
    - Rilakkuma Rhythm Mattari Kibun de Dararan Run (Sanrio game. I found some songs very difficult.)

Note: For Nodame Cantabile, there's a sequel but I don't recommend it. The first one is much better.

10. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    Yes to all of the above.

My personal favorites - SaGa 2, Metal Max 3, Metal Max 2: Reloaded, Blazer Drive, SD Gundam G Generation DS (NOT Cross Drive!!), Super Robot Taisen W, Prince of Tennis: Crystal Drive, Daikoukai Jidai IV: Rota Nova, Nora to Toki no Koubou... I want a new DS :(

11. Nebz

Nebz The N00b

Jul 1, 2010
    United States
    Rhode Island
    Battle Network 1. gg no re.
    This guy knows the dillio.

12. Sora de Eclaune

Sora de Eclaune Baby squirrel, you's a sexy motherfucker.

Feb 15, 2011
    United States
    123 Fake Street
    I almost thought you said "This guy knows the dildo." I guess I should stop reading poorly-written fanfics with mature content!

2 people like this.
  13. Phoenix Goddess

Phoenix Goddess The Ninja's Protégée

Apr 25, 2009
    United States
    Away from civilization.
    I don't even read fanfics and I thought the same thing D:

1 person likes this.
  14. Nalmontes

Nalmontes Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 17, 2011
    United States
    Tales of hearts is awesome and it isn't hard to understand gameplay-wise. There's also a translation patch in the works.

15. BORTZ

BORTZ Neighborhood Friendly

Global Moderator
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    Front Mission 2089
    Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 Pro Version.

1 person likes this.
  16. Mr.Positive

Mr.Positive GBAtemp Regular

Aug 2, 2009
    United States
    Seconding Tales of Hearts. One of the funnest RPGs on the DS.

17. tinymonkeyt

tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

Feb 27, 2008
    United States
    Sora gave a great list, and here are the ones I've played from that list/recommend!

Jump Ultimate Stars, if you like fighting games. Full translation patch available so no reason not to play :)
    The Taiko drum series? It's a rhythm game, so you don't really have to know Japanese to play!
    Soma Bringer. Fun action RPG
    Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! Elite Beat Agents 2 basically. Just in Japanese, so no localized English songs but pretty easy to play as well!

18. proctology
    OP

proctology Member

Newcomer
    Jan 16, 2012
    United States
    Wow, I forgot about this thread for a while - thanks for all the suggestions! I'll check out a bunch of them for sure. Seems like most are either translated or not very text-centric...you guys know any that don't fit either category? I just meant by the OP I'm not a native speaker (99 no Namida was a little overwhelming for me).

19. Felipe_9595

Felipe_9595 GBAtemp Fan

Dec 26, 2010
    Cote d'Ivoire
    Wow i didnt know there was a Front Mission for DS; i absolutely loved the SNES one, thanks.

20. Thesolcity

Thesolcity Wherever the light shines, it casts a shadow.

Oct 2, 2010
    United States
    San Miguel
    Boktai 3

The Japanese version of MMBN 6 Gregar/Falzar (US had a bunch of content removed)