Gaming Good Japanese-only releases?

proctology

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This forum has been a great help in finding out about DS games to try - but it seems like mostly English games are being discussed. What are some good Japan-only releases? Doesn't matter if it has an English patch or not (I'm not super high level but shouldn't have trouble with most games). Any genre is fine. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 person

Sora de Eclaune

All our splendor...
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
  • Nanashi no Game - Survival/Horror - There are rumors about a cursed game that kills you in the real world within seven days, and you've just received it. - Translation Patch Available
  • Jump Ultimate Stars - Fighting - Smash Brothers-style fighting game on the DS with Manga characters - Translation Patch Available
  • SaGa 2: Hihou Densetsu: Goddess of Destiny - RPG - Your father's gone missing and you have to collect all the macguffins to save the world! - Translation Patch Available
  • Tales of Innocence - Action/RPG - You find out you have a past life, and suddenly you have to go on the run! - Translation Patch Available
  • Soma Bringer - Action/RPG - A group of mercenaries finds a girl in the forest, and she has amnesia. What follows is how she gets her memory back. - Translation Patch Available
  • Love Plus - Dating Sim / Visual Novel - Find and obtain your perfect girlfriend! - Translation Patch Available
  • Otometeki Koi Kakume Love Revo - Dating Sim / Visual Novel - Find and obtain your perfect boyfriend...with a twist: you're fat and ugly, and no one will date you until you're thin and cute! - Translation Patch Available
  • Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 1st Love Plus - Dating Sim / Visual Novel - Find and obtain your perfect boyfriend! - Translation Patch Available
  • Tokimeki Memorial Girl's Side 2nd Season - Dating Sim / Visual Novel - Find and obtain your perfect boyfriend! - Translation Patch Available
  • Cross Treasures - Action/Adventure - You came to the island for one thing: treasure. The only way you can get it, however, is by traversing a dungeon! - Multiple Translation Patches Available
  • Tales of Hearts - Action/RPG - I have no idea - Translation Patch in the Works
  • Blood of Bahamut - Action/RPG - I'm guessing you have to defeat Bahamut...? - Translation Patch in the Works
  • SaGa 3: Jikuu no Hasha: Shadow or Light - RPG - Travel through time and save the world! - Translation Patch in the Works, though early ones are available
  • Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! - Music/Rhythm - You play the Ouendan, the cheerleaders of the universe. Help people get over their problems with song, dance, and cheers! - Requires No Japanese to Play
  • Moero Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii! Osu Tatakae Ouendan 2- Music/Rhythm - You play the Ouendan, the cheerleaders of the universe. Help people get over their problems with song, dance, and cheers! - Requires No Japanese to Play
  • Taiko no Tatsujin DS - Music/Rhythm - Bang on your Taiko drum to the music! - Requires No Japanese to Play
  • Meccha! Taiko no Tatsujin DS: 7tsu no Shima no Daibouken - Music/Rhythm - Bang on your Taiko drum to the music, and defeat opposing Taiko drummers to obtain the ultimate Taiko dojo. - Requires No Japanese to Play
  • Taiko no Tatsujin DS: Dororon Yokai Daikessen - Music/Rhythm - Bang on your Taiko drum to the music and travel throughout the land so you can get back home! - Requires No Japanese to Play
  • Utacchi! - Music/Rhythm - Tap, flick, scribble, and hold to sing to the music. - Requires No Japanese to Play
  • Tales of the Tempest - Action/RPG - I have absolutely no idea.
  • Nanashi no Game Me - Survival/Horror - The cursed game is back with a sequel?!

Reactions: 2 people

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Jump Ultimate Stars is a great DS fighter and it has A LOT of anime characters.

I always wondered what would it be if there was released a Jump game to 3DS
I think it would be interesting to have all those manga characters with all their new power and abilities,
in a game with the best of the graphic that 3DS can do

I wonder why there wasn't Hajime no Ippo on Jump series for DS

That's one of the reasons I want 3DS to be hacked,
we would be able to play games that are locked per region

Reactions: 3 people

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here are some other music games that don't require much Japanese knowledge.
- Nodame Cantabile (Classical music. Cute graphic. Pretty easy.)
- Rhythm de Cooking - Sweets party e Youkoso (Cute graphic. Very easy.)
- Rhythm de Run Run Run (Funny graphic. The difficult mode can be frustrating, but it's fun.)
- The Kayou Generation (Some Japanese oldies. Funny graphic. Moderately difficult.)
- Rilakkuma Rhythm Mattari Kibun de Dararan Run (Sanrio game. I found some songs very difficult.)

Note: For Nodame Cantabile, there's a sequel but I don't recommend it. The first one is much better.

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes to all of the above.

My personal favorites - SaGa 2, Metal Max 3, Metal Max 2: Reloaded, Blazer Drive, SD Gundam G Generation DS (NOT Cross Drive!!), Super Robot Taisen W, Prince of Tennis: Crystal Drive, Daikoukai Jidai IV: Rota Nova, Nora to Toki no Koubou... I want a new DS :(

Nalmontes

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tales of hearts is awesome and it isn't hard to understand gameplay-wise. There's also a translation patch in the works.

tinymonkeyt

GBAtemp brat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sora gave a great list, and here are the ones I've played from that list/recommend!

Jump Ultimate Stars, if you like fighting games. Full translation patch available so no reason not to play :)
The Taiko drum series? It's a rhythm game, so you don't really have to know Japanese to play!
Soma Bringer. Fun action RPG
Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! Elite Beat Agents 2 basically. Just in Japanese, so no localized English songs but pretty easy to play as well!

proctology

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I forgot about this thread for a while - thanks for all the suggestions! I'll check out a bunch of them for sure. Seems like most are either translated or not very text-centric...you guys know any that don't fit either category? I just meant by the OP I'm not a native speaker (99 no Namida was a little overwhelming for me).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hke2YUirpf4 +1