arthurkok2

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
i was at Pacific mall (large Chinese mall in Toronto, Canada) and i was curious to see what the going rate for Wii modding there is....

having built my own chip (Openwii) that cost me nearly nothing ($10), i wanted to see how much i would of spent if i didnt build my own chip (and didnt have to guts to solder those damn small solder points)...

Going rate: 150$

the guy told me and i was almost in shock...what a RIP OFF!, i asked a few different places too...

i also asked what they used to mod it, they said Wiikey...hmm, who knows if they're using those fake wiikey clones that cost them 10$.

what i found really funny was that after the guy told me the mod costs 150$, he said that it came with THREE FREE GAME!!!!

i almost laughed my ass off knowing that the games cost at most 0.30$ each....

ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
ohmy.gif
OMG WTF BBQ !! THREE FREE GAMES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL, just wanted to share this, just in case someone lives near pacific mall and want to get someoen to mod they're wii...

qusai

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Don't bother, look up someone on craigslist and get them to solder it for you.
That's what I did, bought my own modchip off consolesource and got someone to solder it.
Best option you can get for the least amount of money.

H8TR

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Don't bother, look up someone on craigslist and get them to solder it for you.
That's what I did, bought my own modchip off consolesource and got someone to solder it.
Best option you can get for the least amount of money.
Thats what I plan on doing. How much did you get it soldered for? Guy said he do it for $30.

taggart6

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You should keep in mind that you might be paying for insurance. Which would you prefer:

Pay $30 with no compensation if your Wii gets damaged in the modding process.

Pay $130 with compensation

I don't know if those high priced shops do guarantee the mod, but I thought it was worth bringing up.

If I did it, I would charge 50 on top of materials with no guarantee OR charge 100 on top of materials with a guarantee (IE replace Wii if it gets damaged beyond repair in the process).

qusai

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The dude that soldered mine guaranteed it, he said if anything goes wrong I can come back anytime and he'll fix it for free.

Hooya

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I charge $20 to install a Wiikey if you provide your own chip. The guarantee is kinda worthless with this as it's an amazingly simple soldering job... I just can't see destroying a Wii if you even halfway know what you're doing. I guarantee my work in so far as I'll fix it if it stops working for some reason (unless of course the chip is bricked by a software update). I had a guy think the chip wasn't working because it wasn't playing his backups... I had him come over to my place and test it out and I would re-solder it for free if it wasn't working. Turns out he was just using shit media for backups.

$130 is outrageous.

I charge $25 if I provide a WiiFree chip, just because of the cost of the chip and the use of my programmer, etc. It's also harder to solder to an 8 pin socket than a Wiikey, in my opinion.

Just throwing my 2 cents in there.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
$150 is outrageous. The going rate on Craigslist out here in Vancouver is about $80-85 for a WiiKey and install. Or about $40 for the chip or installation.

I also see a lot of DIY chips being sold for about $40 including install.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
hah! that is golden but even a rich idiot should be able to figure out that a mod service for twice the price of the console itself is outrageous!

Maybe I give these rich idiots too much credit
tongue.gif

z0ner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, he took off the price and added a disclaimer "Backup purposes only". For those that didn't get a chance to see, he's charging $500.00 "with a guarantee".
rofl2.gif

z0ner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, he's continually editing his ad. Having a disclaimer is one thing, providing "5 demo games" is another. I expect him to get shut down real soon.

twotime

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I got a wiikey in downtown Toronto a few weeks ago. $100cdn for the chip and install, and it was while you wait. I was there for 25 minutes, and got to watch the install. No problems whatsoever. A little pricey, but it was on demand, fast and convenient. And besides, it was only Canadian dollars...

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
i paid $150AU for wiikey and install. at the time i knew it was a bit expensive but it was done by a very professional company and they offered a 3 month guarantee on their work.

I looked around and called a few people, checked xbox forums and craiglist, but found nothing where i lived, the best i could get it done was for $100AU for installation only.

It might be different now but i really didn't mind paying that price for what it has turned my wii into
biggrin.gif

kow

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a GBAtemp modder list? I'd be more than happy to do mods for people in the GTA. I'm located in Ajax, about 30 mins from Toronto. $30CDN for installation if you provide the chip, or I can install a PIC for $40CDN with the hex of your choice (wiinja, openwii, wiifree, etc).

I can also fix botched installations and guarantee all my work. I've done about 20 Wii's so far and lots of other various consoles.

PM me here or e-mail me at [email protected]

arthurkok2

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a GBAtemp modder list? I'd be more than happy to do mods for people in the GTA. I'm located in Ajax, about 30 mins from Toronto. $30CDN for installation if you provide the chip, or I can install a PIC for $40CDN with the hex of your choice (wiinja, openwii, wiifree, etc).

I can also fix botched installations and guarantee all my work. I've done about 20 Wii's so far and lots of other various consoles.

PM me here or e-mail me at [email protected]

you can post on http://toronto.craigslist.org/craigslist

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1