iTech

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mikethespike.net
XP
Country
United States
My home-made XBOX-to-PC controller just got busted while I was playing Tomb Raider Anniversary, forcing me to consider buying a new controller for my PC. (I hate playing games with the keyboard)
Now I was thinking, should I buy some cheap-ass analog controller, or can I expect to use the Wiimote+Nunchuck to play PC games comfortably using GlovePIE? In that case, all I need is some cheap-ass bluetooth adapter and I'm set.

Anyone have any experience doing this? I like the prospect of wireless gameplay for cheap. I don't need any IR support, just the nunchuck and the buttons on the wiimote would be enough to play TRA.

androssfox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It is if you can get it to work right and write your own script. I dunno if they've made a TRA script. I did my own thing for Oblivion and it worked fine. I didn't have a lightsource for it though, so my body was poiting at my tv while my head was turned to look at the monitor :/.

It makes it harder, imo >_> was fun. If you have to code it yourself map out the controls first.

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It is if you can get it to work right and write your own script. I dunno if they've made a TRA script. I did my own thing for Oblivion and it worked fine. I didn't have a lightsource for it though, so my body was poiting at my tv while my head was turned to look at the monitor :/.

It makes it harder, imo >_> was fun. If you have to code it yourself map out the controls first.
Have you considered perhaps moving the sensor bar over to the monitor?
wink.gif

androssfox

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>_> I would've but it's a flat screen
tongue.gif
. And I don't wanna drill a little platform in my wall. Not that big of a deal
biggrin.gif

Also, you can just turn out the lights and use two small candles. Apparently that works too.

bluebright

Trophies
Website
www.portablespacemuseum.com
XP
Country
It is if you can get it to work right and write your own script. I dunno if they've made a TRA script. I did my own thing for Oblivion and it worked fine. I didn't have a lightsource for it though, so my body was poiting at my tv while my head was turned to look at the monitor :/.

+1

Also, go buy another xbox 360 controller. Those things are dreams. Don't use the Wiimote unless you know the games you want to play are supported.

Hit

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I think its kinda shit
Unless you use a script for the game
But the regular scripts aint very handy to me to play a game

noamkot

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Iceland
Using a Wiimote for PC games is almost totally useless.
Like the guy above me I can fully recommend getting an xbox 360 controller for your PC. The wireless one is very comfy and new PC games are aware of this controller and come with correct presets and tutorials which point you to the exact buttons on that controller.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find that for PC games, the Logitech RumblePad 2 is great. Many PC games already have settings for it (where all you have to do is tell the game "use controller")and it also has a great profiler that will let you make most KB&M games work with the controller.

I've made KOTOR and C&C both work solely through the RumblePad before, for example.

They also make a version of the controller without the rumble, but otherwise the same controller.

The build quality is excellent. They have a good solid feel to them. I've had mine for 2-3 years now (wired and wireless) and it still works like the day I got it. It's designed like a Playstation dual shock controller. Logitech also now makes one that resembles the X-Box controller, though I've never tried it.

PSX style: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/p...es/264&cl=us,en

X-Box style: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/p...es/292&cl=us,en

Logitech's whole line of PC controllers: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/gaming/pc_gaming/&cl=us,en

For PC gaming, I've tried a few various controllers, but I always come back to the Logitech ones for pure ease of use. I honestly don't know why anyone would fiddle about with translator dongles for using console controllers on the PC....and then using some homebrew drivers to get them to work when the Logitech brands work so well right out of the box and their driver support is so good.

There was a time with the old original Logitech rumblepad where they were complete crap and the buttons would get mushy and start sticking and stuff like that, but the ltaest series of Logitech game controllers are completely redesigned and are much better....like night and day.

You can get them at places like Best Buy, Wal-Mart and Radio Shack.

Samutz

Trophies
Website
samutz.com
XP
Country
United States
I second the Logitech RumblePad 2. Been using mine for a few years now and have no problems with it.

Many PC games already have settings for it (where all you have to do is tell the game "use controller")
This is because it uses Direct Input that basically turns each button into a new "key" rather than mapping it to a keyboard key or mouse button. Nearly all of the DirectX games now and days support Direct Input. So basically all you have to do is press the button on the controller when the game tells you to press the key you want to use. No external program required to map it.
For example, in Visual Boy Advance, my button config shows up as Joy 1 Left, Joy 1 Button 2, etc.

link459

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's a piece of shit unless you're using the Classic Controller along with GlovePIE and PPJoy to play some emu. Other than that, if you're going to play PC games with some weird ass scripts for Wii-style gameplay, they suck, don't bother.

iTech

OP
Trophies
Website
www.mikethespike.net
XP
Country
United States
Allright, thanks y'all!
I'll be buying a Logitech RumblePad 2 then when I get the money (= the hammer to assault a rich old bitch and force her to buy it for me)

Atleast this will end the endless configuration and tweaking I'm used to just to get a game to work.
Though an xbox 360 controller sounds tempting, it is too expensive, plus, gangsters that come over to my house regularly to buy crackaine might see it lying around and think there's a nice XBOX 360 hidden somewhere for them to steal. I'd hate to kill yet another innocent gangster for nothing. Nobody steals my Wii though, odd ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: ballcock