Give me a reason to keep my Amazon Prime Subscription.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Vengenceonu, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Vengenceonu
    OP

Vengenceonu Revenge is beneath me but accidents do happen.

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    So i signed up for Amazon student some months ago (free) and they said if i didn't cancel they would charge me $50 when it was up for the next subscription cycle (i think). Well I couldn't be assed to remember and forgot again so they charged me a special student deal of $50 for prime. (For people who read my Status updates, I did this once with a free trial and forgot to cancel but got my money back). The 6 months I've had Amazon Student only included free 2 day shipping (which I fucking adored even though I buy like 10 things from amazon a year) but since the deadline passed and I didn't cancel, I get access to all of prime now. I havent bought anything so I should still be able to cancel and get my money back but Im wondering... what are some good benefits of prime? Is it worth it?

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Amazon Prime has free streaming on many of their videos, other than that, I can't think of anything else. I used to be on Amazon Prime, but...I can't afford it for some time. Heh.

3. Vengenceonu
    OP

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    These are my Amazon Prime Benefits. I love the 2 day shipping. The instant video idk, since I watch shit illegally over third party sites so I don't know whats the big deal? Prime Music, can you download the music to say itunes and keep it? I dont have a lot of photos to store. I'm never awake or rarely aware of Amazon lightning deals anyway. I don't own a kindle. I love the same day release shit for games but I don't buy games that much and never through amazon so...

Someone, anyone, sell me the idea of an Amazon Prime Lifestyle.

Amazon prime.JPG

4. RevPokemon

RevPokemon GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl

Aug 24, 2014
    United States
    Fort Gay, West Virginia
    Honestly you pretty much answered your question. I personally won't do it myself

5. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    When I had a nice flow of income from a job, sure, I enjoyed it, but when I was unemployed, I had to cancel the Prime membership to get the $50 I needed so badly. Not sure if I'll do it again.

6. Memoir

Memoir A Hero to Zero

GBAtemp Patron
    Memoir is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    Wyoming
    Nope. Your choice. Shouldn't have to talk you into going either route.

7. fafaffy

fafaffy GBAtemp Fan

Sep 1, 2012
    United States
    I don't get why you feel entitled for us to convince you to waste $50 on Amazon Prime.
    If you don't want the benefits, the option is clear, you shouldn't need opinions from kids on a forum.

8. Vengenceonu
    OP

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    I'm conflicted, I might keep it only because of the 2 day shipping. Next semester it'll come in handy when i need books quick I might check out the Prime Video. Is prime compatible with google chromecast or are they dicks and limit it to amazon video?
    The reason Im asking you all is because I constantly hear how "Amazing" and "Such a good bargain" Amazon prime is while I myself feel like Im missing something. Its like someone describing to you the beauty of a van gogh painting but all you see are brown smudges

9. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    Amazon Prime is great if you plan on purchasing at least one item from Amazon every month. Obviously, the more you buy, the better of a deal it becomes. But, the other benefits are rather meh. Prime Music sucks if you don't listen to mainstream stuff (there's a ton of metal that I would like to listen to but they don't offer). Prime photos is useless. If you're like me, you've probably seen all of the old tv shows that you want to watch, so being able to stream them is useless. The free movies are nice, but not every movie in their library is free.

So, basically, if you don't see yourself getting your money's worth, don't bother. Prime can be great for some people but a waste for others.

10. ComeTurismO

ComeTurismO CTO

Sep 18, 2011
    Canada
    4:54 PM
    I know deep inside my heart that you want to keep Amazon Prime, just admit it, you rice attracter...

11. Joe88

Joe88 [λ]

Jan 6, 2008
    United States
    NYC
    Once you cancel you will lose the student price, so I would ride it out as long as I can

12. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    It's a wonderful world we live in where no one can make their own decisions without first consulting a bunch of random strangers on the internet for advice on what would be better.

Tom Bombadildo likes this.
  13. _Chaz_

_Chaz_ GBAtemp's Official Mook™

Sep 12, 2009
    United States
    If you're not buying anything regularly, it'd be dumb to keep paying for it. It'd be like paying for Netflix when you don't watch movies or television shows for months at a time.
    Yes I know people do this and justify it with "it's only $8 lol", but they're the same people complaining about not having money when they need it. Don't be that person.

WiiCube_2013 likes this.
  14. Vengenceonu
    OP

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Shit Gbatemp is 99% "Should I buy flashcart A or B", "Help me do X", etc. The other 1 percent is The new Gbatemp Twitch channel.

15. CheeseCake

CheeseCake GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    United States
    On the Kitchen Table Obviously
    I'm on Prime Student too. Don't keep it. Only thing worth it is 2 day shipping.

16. Vengenceonu
    OP

Jun 20, 2013
    United States
    The C Standard Library
    Im gonna miss the 2 day shipping but... i guess Ill cancel it.

17. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    I only have it for the shipping.
    We share prime among my whole apartment complex, its insane how much we ship

18. DaggerV07

DaggerV07 Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 6, 2010
    United States
    I keep Amazon prime between the two day shipping and reduced price on auto commodity shipping each month. It pays for itself at the very least.

19. CheeseCake

CheeseCake GBAtemp Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    United States
    On the Kitchen Table Obviously
    How does that work since it's one account? A public computer for everyone in the building?
    And you all have your own payment options too?

20. jonthedit

jonthedit GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 30, 2011
    Bangladesh
    We pay cash to the manager- he also used his "share prime" feature with 3 others, so we go to those three.
    Its really a nice system, and no this apartment does not have more than 50 people.
    One guy has something shipped every other week.
    Totally worth it for those guys.
    We all contribute $5 a year for the services.