Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Carnivean said:
Seyiji said:
sjones900 said:
Will any of this give me complications?
IIRC you need a genuine (MagicGate supported) MSPD for best results when installing CFW.

Not at all, my fakes have all happily worked on every PSP I've installed CFW on. A lot of the fakes aren't half as bad as people make them out to be, the minority who do get the shitty ones are simply most vocal.

Your fakes may work fine for playing homebrew, backups, etc., but I bet they wouldn't work for installing the CFW in the first place. You need a magic gate supported stick (in other words a non-fake) in order to make the MMS.

Diablo1123

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
tbgtbg said:
Carnivean said:
Seyiji said:
sjones900 said:
Will any of this give me complications?
IIRC you need a genuine (MagicGate supported) MSPD for best results when installing CFW.

Not at all, my fakes have all happily worked on every PSP I've installed CFW on. A lot of the fakes aren't half as bad as people make them out to be, the minority who do get the shitty ones are simply most vocal.

Your fakes may work fine for playing homebrew, backups, etc., but I bet they wouldn't work for installing the CFW in the first place. You need a magic gate supported stick (in other words a non-fake) in order to make the MMS.
I don't believe you, my fake one from DealExtreme worked perfectly fine.

Raiser

I am mad scientist.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Most fakes do work like real memory sticks including installing CFW.
The problem with fakes is that certain games/homebrews may not work on it and that the memory card may just stop working after a certain period of time.

Your memory stick doesn't need to be MagicGate supported in order to install custom firmware. >.>

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I got the psp 3k its very nice it boots faster than the 1k tremendously and the screen is amazing.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not hacked yet and they're getting close and you should know that it WILL be hacked so don't go and be all your psp can't do that, I know but it WILL soon enough.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
MaGiXieN said:
CFW can't be installed on PSP 3000. A HEN yes, a CFW... perhaps never.

That's MaGiXieN, the guy who's site the HEN was revealed on. I have no idea where you get the idea that they're getting close, but they're not.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure there will be a way because this is the new addition to the psp series why wouldn't it be hacked? I was told that all electronics can be hacked but only if the people want it to be... basically the more popular the system is the more reason for it to be hacked which brings motivation and I'm sure they have discovered other vulnerabilities they're just not telling because sony will patch it. Just like the gripshift exploit, but there was a kernel exploit they found but didn't want to spoil it because sony would patch that too and eradicate all hope of cfw on psp 3000, so they have that kernel exploit and Dark-Alex most likely has it too and is now up to him to figure out on how to get it working.... and when did MaGiXieN post that? Like how long ago?

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok I just found an interview conducted TODAY with MaGiXieN and MathieuLh. It's very interesting and some of it is hopeful and some of it is well grim, well any way here.

QUOTE said:
Can we install a Custom Firmware on PSP 3000? What a HEN? an IPL? a préIPL? We wanted to start this month of February with a small interview with our friend MathieuLH (sonyXteam, Prometheus, M33) on the thorny subject of a hack for the PSP 3000.

MaGiXieN therefore asked MathieuLh to answer a few questions that come too often in the forums or e-mails now. With this interview, you will probably understand the difficulties encountered to hack the PSP 3000.

MaGiXieN: Math Hi, since your departure from the M33 team, how is life MathieuLH?

MathieuLH: Rather well, I concentrate on my studies now and the playstation 3. The study said that as a priority:)

--

MaGiXieN: Much has been said about HEN recently. Could you clarify the differences with a Custom Firmware?

MathieuLH: The HEN is not a custom firmware, strictly speaking, a HEN kernel uses a loophole to launch code to the kernel boot the psp while including applicant patches on the fly. A custom firmware launches him, starting the console without any manipulation by the user and also allows him to patch (usually ram) the kernel of the psp.

Simply put, when a HEN require the intervention of a user (on an official firmware) to perform a loophole allowing the kernel to boot the psp with multiple patches to begin by following its own code his homebrews or even in most cases, the isos. A custom firmware to start at boot the PSP without any intervention from the user and allows the direct use of homebrews upon ignition.

--
MaGiXieN: We talked often of pre-IPL and IPL since the PSP 3000. For us mere mortals, we can explain what a pre-IPL and IPL?

MathieuLH: Pre-IPL is a code implemented within the processor of the PSP (it is in plain text in a mask ROM 4KB) it is the first code executed by the psp, it is not updatable and is thus dependent on the version of the processor. This one at the expense of verifying the authenticity of the IPL (Initial Program Load), IPL itself is something of a micro kernel containing most of the drivers to run the hardware of the psp (the nand, the ram etc etc) it is the first link in the startup (boot chain) of the psp, this one checks the authentication sysmem and loadcore and performing loadcore will then authenticate the rest modules (up init.prx and execute)

In the case of PSP-1000 and 2000, we (The Prometheus Project - alias c + d) have found a loophole (in reality a multitude of faults) in the pre-ipl and kirk engine (hardware used to make cryptographic operations in the PSP) which has helped to launch our own IPL.

Unfortunately the flaw found in the pre-ipl was patched by sony in processors used with the PSP-3000.

--
MaGiXieN: Do you think the PSP-3000 could spend a day in Custom Firmware?

MathieuLH: For the moment a custom firmware on PSP-3000 is not an option, of course this could change in the future with the possibility of discovering another flaw in the pre-ipl although it may be difficult when one considers that the pre-ipl is one of the most difficult to dump and that he did not yet.

We can also consider a flaw in the chain start (boot chain) as was the case with the old custom firmwares where we used the kernel of 1.50 (which itself had several flaws in its chain boot) to to run the core of a devhook that reboot (so imperceptible) the kernel of the PSP and could start on a patched firmware.

--
MaGiXieN: Clearly, a HEN quasiement will be the only possible solution for 3000 and probably the following, correct?

MathieuLH: Yes and no, as explained above other flaws may be discovered one day (although this seems unlikely at a time when Sony has already patched the biggest gaps are at the starting line and if the pre-ipl were properly adjusted it should not include other faults.

Moreover, the HEN is not required to run homebrews, most homebrews are coded to run in usermode and in this case a fault kernel is not mandatory. A simple user fault as the fault GripShift enough.

--
MaGiXieN: Many people confuse the fault and the kernel of GripShift. Without the controversy, do you think the choice not the releaser HEN Miriam, using kernel vulnerability, is a good choice? The reason is that it would be patched by Sony and prevent further research via this vulnerability. What you think? Could this be the last known exploitable vulnerability?

MathieuLH: I do not think the releaser HEN is a good choice, there is not an infinite number of vulnerabilities in the kernel and developers may need it sooner or later. There are several million against PSPs already asleep and usable, if someone really wants to run homebrews on psp it is not the opportunity that he missed.

Whether it is the last known exploitable vulnerability, I prefer not to speak on the topic

--

MaGiXieN: Otherwise, before you leave, what do you think the future of the PSP scene?

MathieuLH: The PSP scene is aging, and aging badly, people are starting to tire, the PSP comes from an old technology at least 3 years if not more, on which Sony has made several minor revisions ( PSP lighter, thinner, add a microphone, screen ...) to justify the maintenance of a widely raised prices on old technology over 3 years (the price of the PSP will have to final, less than 50 euros for 3 years from 249 to 199 euros in France)

The PSP also sorely lacking games and trade policy, Sony does not help matters. Result? The psp is one of the biggest commercial flops (can be outside of Japan) that Sony has ever known, and unfortunately the Playstation 3 is about to suffer the same fate as Sony has failed to waiting for the players, or that of developers.

I hope that this sad reality does not ring the death knell console whose capabilities would allow the emergence of games of exceptions, notably as regards the playstation 3.

There is no point to move forward however, only time will tell.

This has been roughly translated from French to English using google tranlate, but it's understandable. Source in French Source in English

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
My quote was from yesterday too. At the moment i'm watching on the results of the guys who are taking the hardware apart and attempting to scan the chip with a microscope. If they can get at the pre-IPL and work out where it's pointing to and how to insert a custom IPL then we'll see some magic. However, compare the PSP scene now to what it was just over a year ago and it's more than terminal, it's dead. About a year and a bit ago the scene was exciting and fresh, and now it's stale and stagnant....since the games have dried up so has interest in the console itself.

sjones900

GBAtemp Advanced Member
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well maybe the psp 3k getting hacked is just what the psp scene needs to kick thing up again. Well anyway I noticed something fishy in that interview.

QUOTE said:
MaGiXieN: Many people confuse the fault and the kernel of GripShift. Without the controversy, do you think the choice not the releaser HEN Miriam, using kernel vulnerability, is a good choice? The reason is that it would be patched by Sony and prevent further research via this vulnerability. What you think? Could this be the last known exploitable vulnerability?

MathieuLH: I do not think the releaser HEN is a good choice, there is not an infinite number of vulnerabilities in the kernel and developers may need it sooner or later. There are several million against PSPs already asleep and usable, if someone really wants to run homebrews on psp it is not the opportunity that he missed.

Whether it is the last known exploitable vulnerability, I prefer not to speak on the topic

He knows something, he just doesn't want to tell and risk sony patching whatever he knows about.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: CRAZY HAMBURGER