Tutorial  Updated

Get your private header using PowerSaves

So, I've completely re-done this tutorial...
The reason for this is... the first one was kind of... Well... Half Assed
I didn't put much effort into my method and the results were kind of inconsistent.
I spent today dumping all of my games, looking for the headers and seeing what works.. Enjoy The new tut.

Also, The cheapest game available that is guaranteed to work with powersaves is Steel Diver, it is available new on amazon for very little

Requirements:
Powersaves 3DS
A Game Cartridge*
HxD (Freeware)

* Disclaimer (Important)
  • If your game, once inserted into powersaves acts like it has been removed and placed back into the powersaves dongle (Constantly refreshing the save list and displaying unsupported game) THIS WILL NOT WORK WITH THAT GAME
  • By following this method you WILL LOSE YOUR SAVEGAME for the all the rom's you apply your header to, the only way to keep them is to use NTR CFW and the savedata plugin to backup the save beforehand, and then to restore it after you have applied your header. (alternatively you could use savedatafilter if you have a 4.X cfw compatible console)
Methods:
There are two methods I've found, one seems easier but the other seems more reliable
(The methods are now in the spoilers below this sentence)

Powersaves Steps

Step 1. Navigate to /USERNAME/Powersaves3DS and MOVE all of the .bin files to another folder
zqy4bTR.gif

Step 2. Open powersaves and create a savegame backup of the cartridge you want the unique ID from.
YVZdiC6.gif

Step 3. Close powersaves, then open powersaves, then minimize it. (Yes this necessary, and the powersaves dongle and cart must remain plugged in while doing so)
Qi9saX3.gif

HxD Steps
Step 1.
Open HxD, Press Shift+Ctrl+R and open the ram for PowerSaves3DS.exe
Step 2. Press Ctrl+F and search for "gbatemp).bin"
Step 3. Look in the hex byte area for 00 00 00 88
Your unique ID will be the 16 hex bytes after that and has 48 FF bytes after it. (Like This)

Here's the gif for the hxd steps:
Z7oRJIK.gif

The header may not be in the same place as mine, could be above or a little below... in every instance that I've seen it has been in view of the .bin file we searched
It ALWAYS has 88 Before it, and 48 FF bytes after

Once you have your unique header info you can use it for your backups.
Also, you should probably move your saves back to the powersaves folder

Troubleshooting:

Cant Find 00 00 00 88:
The header may not be in the same place as mine, could be above or a little below... in every instance that I've seen it has been in view of the .bin file we searched
It ALWAYS has 88 Before it, and 48 FF bytes after

Things to try:
Try a different computer, some users were unable to locate their header on their PC, they tried with a family members PC and it magically worked.

There are rare instances where it does not start with 00 00 00 88 it will start with something random like 00 57 A5 88
But ALWAYS 88 and followed by 16 FF bytes

DarkFlare69 - Mario Kart 7
iamBlux - SuperSmash Bros. (USA)
xjoelx - Pokemon Y
Osmosis
xile6
juggernaut911 - Steel Diver
Also, This time I made a video instead of using .gif's

Steps:
Insert Game Cart into Powersaves dongle
2. Open powersaves
3. Open HxD
4. Press Shift+Ctrl+R
5. Double Click "PowerSaves3DS.exe"
6. Press Ctrl+F and search For the text string
Code:
name="Id"; filename="id.bin"
7-1. In the hex byte window (on the left) around 2 lines down from highlighted stuff are the bytes 0D 0A 0D 0A
7-2. The 16 groups of two characters (hex bytes) after 0D 0A 0D 0A is your unique cartridge ID (private header)
7-3. After your private header there will be 48 FF bytes.

Troubleshooting:

Finding it difficult to understand?:
Take a look at the video!

Cant find: name="Id"; filename="id.bin":
I got those errors once or twice, your best bet is to close powersaves and hxd, open powersaves then open hxd again. It's kinda hit and miss, but its more reliable than the other method.

Games That I Tested This Method With:
Working:

Pokemon Y
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Harvest Moon 3D: A New Beginning
Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon
Scribblenauts Unlimited

Not Working:
Cubic Ninja
Farming Simulator 14

So, you want a .bin file?
If you want to make a .bin of your header (Which you should do)

This is a blank template file,
Follow these steps..
1. Open this .bin with HxD
2. Paste your unique ID as the first 16 bytes
3. Save the file.

I use my header and get error 002-0123:
If you're getting the error 002-0123 when using a rom with your new header, take a look at this thread:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/why-sky3ds-gets-002-0123-even-with-a-private-header.385672/

How do i fix it?
1. Open Sky Army Knife
2. Select latest template file
3. Select the rom that is giving you the error
4. In the "Cart ID" section, change the manufacturer
5. Click "Save to .txt"
6. Open diskwriter, and select our modified template
7. Delete rom from your SD with diskwriter
8. Re-write the rom with the edited template we made
9. Cycle through the games on your sky3ds so that it refreshes
10. Play Game

(If you still get the error, Repeat steps 4 to 9 but change the manufacturer to something DIFFERENT)

My Savegame is corrupt:
You, should have read the disclaimer.

Suggestions
Get These Tools:
Sky Army Knife - By Foxi4, A multi-tool for Sky3DS users. (Used for changing various parts of the template for each game)
No Ban Sky - By hackotedelaplaqu, patch all games in the template file with your unique ID.

Last edited by LameNobody,

Zeshix

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
So I can just add header and ignore the chip id thats already in that empty bin file?? Its just im getting this error " Error Code: 002-0123

You cannot use online services with this Game Card. So im either using the wrong thing as header or its the chip id. Ive tried over 15 times -_- :/

I didn't try it on my 3ds since I don't have a PowerSaves but I used no ban no sky to change the template, the wrong chip id didn't transfer. Only the header got injected into the template.
So with no ban no sky only the header gets injected and it should work. The chip id stays the same as the original Sky3ds template.

LameNobody

Weighted Companion Cube Enthusiast
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I can just add header and ignore the chip id thats already in that empty bin file?? Its just im getting this error " Error Code: 002-0123

You cannot use online services with this Game Card. So im either using the wrong thing as header or its the chip id. Ive tried over 15 times -_- :/

It also makes me wonder if you got the correct ID,

Christian Rosado

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

yeah, but I dont know, I checked before all the 48 FF and I have the same 16 bytes as below, but never have 00 00 00 88, its always 0F 00 00 88 or 00 14 00 88. It repeats twice, with the same 16 bytes. But it doesnt work. I mean I copied those 16 bytes to the empty bin file provided, its first line. Then I patched the sky3ds template, with the original and this bin file. It marked 1321 games patched, afther that I launched a game and the online gave that error. and it isnt a banned console or anything, since I checked with a genuine game and it got connected to online.

Christian Rosado

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What I wanted to know is, did you tried with more than one game? or just mario kart 7? I mean when you say you always should get 00 00 00 88 is because you tried with different games and all had 00 00 00 88 line or did you just tried with mario kart a bunch of times always getting 00 00 00 88 with it?

LameNobody

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What I wanted to know is, did you tried with more than one game? or just mario kart 7? I mean when you say you always should get 00 00 00 88 is because you tried with different games and all had 00 00 00 88 line or did you just tried with mario kart a bunch of times always getting 00 00 00 88 with it?

I never used mario kart, dark flare did
I tried this with luigis mansion, pokemon X and harvest moon

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
May I suppose that the header position is different from online/offline games? Anyone willing to confirm this? (maybe with cubic ninja?)

Christian Rosado

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most probably, you're getting this error because you're touching the id on your ROM. Just replace the header on your sky3ds template with the header you got with powersaves method.

I simply patched the whole template with bin file and no ban no sky. Then wrote game to sd card with the patched template file and got the error.

LameNobody

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
May I suppose that the header position is different from online/offline games? Anyone willing to confirm this? (maybe with cubic ninja?)

I don't think so,
This is my theory, (Just a theory)
Why it worked for me: I think powersaves only fetches the unique ID if it supports editing of the save... because I'm pretty sure the save has to be encrypted with the unique id of the cart to be read in the 3ds.

aw well, thanks helping man, guess this is it.
What game were you trying to get the unique ID from?

Christian Rosado

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think so,
Why it worked for me: I think powersaves only fetches the unique ID if it supports editing of the save... because I'm pretty sure the save has to be encrypted with the unique id of the cart to be read in the 3ds.

What game were you trying to get the unique ID from?

I tried mario kart 7 and smash bros, I just took the 16 bytes before the 48 FF bytes, but I get the error cannot use this game card online. Must have something to do with 00 00 00 88 line since my first line is not 00 00 00 88 and its a bit different from it. ( the one before the 16 bytes followed by 48 FF bytes)

4ur0r

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't think so,

So you are saying that a game that has no save edit support will be easier to get header?

LameNobody

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think it works with R4i Save Dongle, can't find a .bin file, but I can find the .sav file with the File name I chose. hmm

I'm not so sure it would work with that, because it is only backing up and restoring the save and it does not need the unique ID to encrypt/decrypt the save for editing.

super.bean

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The tool has an option to decrypt save files, and this 3DSavetool which can be used to find the XOR key used for encryption and use it to decrypt/encrypt EEPROM save files. I got this on their page.

What's this XOR key?

xile6

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The tool has an option to decrypt save files, and this 3DSavetool which can be used to find the XOR key used for encryption and use it to decrypt/encrypt EEPROM save files. I got this on their page.

What's this XOR key?
can you use the r4i save donge to restore a save to sky3ds??

Christian Rosado

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lol it appears to be I'm the only one who cant make this work, great.. Im at a point I would pay for a private header but then it wouldnt be so private ugh :/

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @sombrerosonic, "Unity to die. Coding is a fuck."
  • sombrerosonic @ sombrerosonic:
    Rez how else am I suppose to make my horny AI who wants people to love it?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Real women are better, AI isn't worth the trouble.
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    Mine would be easy. All it has to do is bob it's head :D:evil::blush:
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Psi can make an AI babe lol.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I knew I should've bought the 50ft ethernet cord over the 25 lesson learned size matters
    +2
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    vffvb gferwbgereg
    :O [☎️ Bunjolio's mother that he's swearing]
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    she*
    +2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Fuck
    +1
  • J @ Just_Ragnar:
    What are mlc.bin files and are they important or can i delete them off my wii u sd card
    My apologies there little Miss @Bunjolio :mellow::blush::)
    Butt I'm still telling her :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Never gonna give you upNever gonna let you downNever gonna run around and desert youNever gonna make you cryNever gonna say goodbyeNever gonna tell a lie and hurt you
    I don't recognise the song. Which one is it?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sigma
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Bunjolio, Sometimes people make mistakes, if you correct them then they'll remember.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Try not to easily get offended if somebody calls you by different pronouns by mistake.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    What I can't just call someone a dick or a vagina
    ... [looks up vagina] 🤓 🔎 📖 ] :O:ohnoes::ohnoes::ohnoes: 🤢
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good thing I have a vagina
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Good thing I have a vagina