Get a Gateway or wait it out?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by mar789, Dec 17, 2014.

1. mar789
    OP

mar789 Master Italian

Jul 18, 2011
    Canada
    I was contemplating getting a Gateway, I've been waiting it out for months and always tell myself there is no point getting one now as each month passes. I was wondering if it is actually worth getting now or should I just wait?

Thanks for any help.

2. Cid barba corta

Cid barba corta Member

Newcomer
    Aug 5, 2014
    Argentina
    I think it´s totally a worth card. I´ve bought the R4i in the past just because it was cheaper and back then there was no difference between R4 and GW. Now i have both cards and i can assure GW is by far supperior. I can´t tell you Sky´s performance since i dont owe one. But if you have a 3ds with 4.1-4.5 firmware, get a GW and enjoy

3. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Well it costs $60. That's less than the cost of 2 games. You can play as many games as you want on it.
    Do the math :P

Margen67 likes this.
  4. Mauwi

Mauwi Member

Newcomer
    Jan 31, 2009
    Gambia, The
    I just got mine today, and I am also on 9.2.0-20

But I thought it is better to order it now than to wait for the Update, since then everybody will order one ;)

Margen67 and Sonicx64 like this.
  5. Pedeadstrian

Pedeadstrian GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.

Oct 12, 2012
    United States
    Sandy Eggo
    It depends. Do you have a 4.5 or below 3DS? Then yes, by all means get it. But, if you're one of those people with a 5.0+ console that are waiting for Gateway to release their sysNAND 9.2 update, that's an entirely different story. We don't know when (or heck, if) the update will come out. A month ago Gateway said they're "in the process of finalizing our support for 3DS systems running System Firmware 9.0.0-20 / 9.1.0-20J / 9.2.0-20 natively!" Whether or not that means it's coming out tomorrow or months from now, we have no idea. If you do decide to wait, make sure to keep an eye on the Gateway website, because as soon as it's released, those units will go flying off the shelves.

solis likes this.
  6. Ra1d

Ra1d GBAtemp Maniac

Jul 31, 2010
    Canada
    Up to you, man.

Think about the future, when they release the update, will you regret not ordering it sooner or you won't ?

7. t123a1

t123a1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2014
    Évora
    Well I ordered mine Yesterday from Playmods.co.uk and they sent me an email saying that they ship today. So Yeah you can buy one. Wait for the update, and you can play all games you want. So, like many people said, it's worth it.

8. Haymose

Haymose GBAtemp Fan

Mar 24, 2014
    United States
    Well do you want to ride the hype train when the update is released? Or wait it out a few more days or possibly weeks to get one shipped? Maybe save money if it's a troll? An easier decision to make if you got cash laying around.

9. t123a1

t123a1 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2014
    Évora
    Playmods.co.uk is with promotion with Gateway, so I bought now :)

10. johnbus

johnbus GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2014
    United States
    Out of curiosity, did anyone else think of this?

shinyquagsire23 and otto888 like this.
  11. Errorjack

Errorjack GBAtemp Regular

May 23, 2010
    United States
    If you honestly don't care about homebrew or region lock, get a Sky3DS, at least you don't have to wait a month for that and much less hassle of it breaking on you. Get a Gateway if you want to wait for the update, and you'll get homebrew, region lock, and cia.

12. Skull Kiddo

Skull Kiddo Definitely Not A Kid

Dec 17, 2014
    My bedroom
    Be patient like me. I think it's just a matter of weeks or even days for the 9.2 release.

Unless you want the far inferior Sky3DS just to play it on 9.4, although I don't recommend that because someday that will be blocked too.

blinkzane and Margen67 like this.
  13. Kikirini

Kikirini Zelda Fangirl

May 18, 2011
    United States
    Vermont, USA
    I'm waiting it out. It helps that I already have all the 3ds games and ninjhax homebrew that ai want, though.

I just want to make sure GW doesn't pull a Sky3ds and release a new card...

14. Skull Kiddo

Skull Kiddo Definitely Not A Kid

Dec 17, 2014
    My bedroom
    I wish I bought Cubic Ninja back in the day xD I only have Pokemon Y, OoT3D, Smash, some DS games and then some eShop games and LA DX. Would help really much if I had homebrew, can imagine myself playing Pokemon Yellow in full 3D (?) and also original resolution. I wonder if the GB/GBC emulators have that nice Gameboy border when you press Start while starting up a GB/GBC VC game?

15. Ravioli
    This message by Ravioli has been removed from public view by Veho, Dec 17, 2014, Reason: Stop posting this in every thread.
    Dec 17, 2014
  16. DSlite2

DSlite2 VR Supporter

Jul 11, 2012
    United States

Either sell it and buy another 3DS XL that isn't on 9.3 or 9.4 (none of the current retail stock will have it yet) OR just buy a Sky3DS and keep your 9.4 XL. No point in waiting another 2 years for Gateway to find a new entry point.

Sonicx64 likes this.
  17. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    You have brought shame and dishonor to the community.
    Bushido!
    :)

Skull Kiddo likes this.
  18. flamepanther

flamepanther GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2011
    United States
    I'm in limbo on a 9.2 3DS XL, waiting for Gateway to support my firmware, or an update to Ninjhax, or (least likely) for Sky3DS to get a solution for homebrew and eShop. Until then, I'm stuck really wishing I could download Xeodrifter...

19. Phantom_User

Phantom_User Phantom of Page 666

Aug 28, 2012
    Your nightmares
    To be honest, waiting it out + getting a gateway are the exact same thing.

Margen67 likes this.
  20. flamepanther

flamepanther GBAtemp Regular

Apr 16, 2011
    United States
    Not quite. One involves spending money.

21. Phantom_User

Phantom_User Phantom of Page 666

Aug 28, 2012
    Your nightmares
    Touché! You got me there, didn't remember that.