Get 2ds game save files from sd card (my 2ds touchscreen is broken so i can't use it)

GodlyNoobus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to get a new 3ds soon but I want to transfer the 3ds games I've installed with .3dsx and .cia on my sd card.
Is this possible and how?
Second hurdle is, after I homebrew my new 3ds, to move the save data of some 3ds games to my new 3ds but i dont even know if that's possible (I'm thinking you could do this by emulating a 3ds on my computer and transferring save data that way)
Just so you know I can't use my 2ds to manually transfer everything since the touchscreen is fried and the sleep switch keeps turning the 2ds on and off 😑

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I'm going to get a new 3ds soon but I want to transfer the 3ds games I've installed with .3dsx and .cia on my sd card.
Is this possible and how?
Second hurdle is, after I homebrew my new 3ds, to move the save data of some 3ds games to my new 3ds but i dont even know if that's possible (I'm thinking you could do this by emulating a 3ds on my computer and transferring save data that way)
Just so you know I can't use my 2ds to manually transfer everything since the touchscreen is fried and the sleep switch keeps turning the 2ds on and off 😑
Do you have a NAND backup or essentials.exefs backup? You need the movable.sed file from it to decrypt the SD card data.

Reactions: GodlyNoobus

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You can decrypt your save data on a PC. See https://gbatemp.net/threads/restore-save-data-from-dead-3ds-2ds.606907/ . Be sure to read the first few posts in the thread.

the partial movable.sed from seedminer doesn't contain the needed keys either AFAIK.
You can't inject it back into another 3DS NAND, but it's adequate for decryption on a PC.

ETA:

.3dsx applications (and everything else stored outside of the "Nintendo 3DS" folder) are completely decrypted and can be copied from one card to another, just like when you installed them.

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: The Real Jdbye

GodlyNoobus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You can decrypt your save data on a PC. See https://gbatemp.net/threads/restore-save-data-from-dead-3ds-2ds.606907/ . Be sure to read the first few posts in the thread.

You can't inject it back into another 3DS NAND, but it's adequate for decryption on a PC.

ETA:

.3dsx applications (and everything else stored outside of the "Nintendo 3DS" folder) are completely decrypted and can be copied from one card to another, just like when you installed them.
even the game save? i'll try that now and see if i can copy it to my pc

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
even the game save?
If it's not in the "Nintendo 3DS" folder, it's not encrypted. (The "3DS" folder and the "Nintendo 3DS" folder are two completely different things, of course.)

i'll try that now and see if i can copy it to my pc
You can copy anything you want off the SD card. It's all just files; there's no way anything can stop you unless the card is physically defective. The problem is that encrypted data is impossible to read without decrypting it first.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

GodlyNoobus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If it's not in the "Nintendo 3DS" folder, it's not encrypted. (The "3DS" folder and the "Nintendo 3DS" folder are two completely different things, of course.)

You can copy anything you want off the SD card. It's all just files; there's no way anything can stop you unless the card is physically defective. The problem is that encrypted data is impossible to read without decrypting it first.
I was actually able to transfer the data between the 2ds and 3ds but before I did it I (stupidly) forgot to install cfw beforehand, I had a lot of things installed and universal updater and hshop seem to be telling me I already installed some apps and games so how do I get those on my home menu again? I should also have TWL++ menu installed and many 3ds games even the storage used on my sd card tells me that.

settings --> data management --> nintendo 3ds --> software
show me the games and apps but they have a gray cross next to them, is this salvageable? Or should I just delete them and reinstall them

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was actually able to transfer the data between the 2ds and 3ds
What, exactly, did you do? There may be things you can do but it's hard to say without more details, and I am not interested in trying to guess.

even the storage used on my sd card tells me that.
Once again: files on your SD card that are encrypted cannot be read on another device, even though they will obviously still take up space.

GodlyNoobus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
What, exactly, did you do? There may be things you can do but it's hard to say without more details, and I am not interested in trying to guess.

Once again: files on your SD card that are encrypted cannot be read on another device, even though they will obviously still take up space.
Thanks, I just deleted the encrypted games and redownloaded them from hshop but now they don't show up in checkpoint (where i had some saves) but now they dont show up, only in extra data. What do I do??
Post automatically merged:

I just used the system transfer option before the 2ds went haywire (it got water damaged and now randomly presses buttons and the touchscreen) and it worked!

Last edited by GodlyNoobus,

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just used the system transfer option before the 2ds system began pressing random buttons and it worked!
This sentence does not make sense.

If you use the official System Transfer function (?) and moved the SD card from one system to the other, then the solution is to simply install CFW and run Faketik, as per https://3ds.hacks.guide/faq#post-installation-faq . This is very well-established.

Thanks, I just deleted the encrypted games and redownloaded them from hshop but now they don't show up in checkpoint (where i had some saves) but now they dont show up, only in extra data. What do I do??
If games aren't showing up in Checkpoint, you might need to run them once before starting Checkpoint so that they create initial save data. You may also need to hold B to refresh the list of titles.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: That game maybe too violent for your granny tho. Better get Barbies Dream house instead.