Excelsiior

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nanolx.org
XP
Country
Germany
well, that's just been an idea to not interfere with DM/DML, I know it's not easy to load from a different slot. SD-Card support in cMIOS would be enough first.

Btw. WHB does not have WiiGator cMIOS 3 (I guess because it adds DVD-R support). So there's is slightly newer cMIOS than that on wiibrew.

Reactions: 1 person

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, we can always fall back to softdev's tool, which works perfectly fine with raw dumps and gcis and official cards. Only thing is that it is closed source (more accurately, source was never released, but it was going to) and that works on GC mode, but there's gamecube homebrew launcher...

BTW, the same gci recovered by softdev's tool and with gcmm+ has some differences (banner format and index bytes on gci header).

I've tested recovering to an unoficial card which never had any luigis mansion savegame, it works fine. Also worked deleting the savegame on oficial card, then restoring gci, but that's probably because the only written part was the directory part, actual game data wasn't written to card (but is is there, as deleting a savegame only deletes the directory entry, allowing to overwrite the actual data).

Here's a pic of diferences between softev's tool recovered gci (below) and gcmm+'s (above)

sinttuloswr.png

EDIT:

OK, index is always set to 32 :

/*** Block index does not matter, it won't be restored at the same spot ***/
gci.index = 32;

Seems a good reason.

But banner format is obtained as follows:

gci.banner_fmt = CardStatus->banner_fmt;

And the CardStatus struct is filled by a libogc function, so my guess is that libogc doesn't properly recover the banner_fmt byte.

That would explain those recovered GCI files which banner didn't work but the save still did.

EDIT2:

I've been looking at card.c and I think it would be better to use __cardgetstatusex insted of CardGetStatus function. The ex version works with the directory entry, which is exactly the GCI header, in fact we could just call the function with the gci header structure and it would be filled right away by memcopy.

Probably writing works fine, as the banner byte is written (and as I suspect, causing the banner to not be properly displayed in some games)

I'll try with ctr-gcs (easier to test coz it uses its own card.c)

I have to do more testing on official cards...I should get an official 59block card so I can compare with mu unoficial 59 block one

Reactions: 2 people

Excelsiior

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nanolx.org
XP
Country
Germany
... just received my SD-Gecko and official memory card.

Currently tested:

GC-Mode:
* dump to SD-Gecko: Worked
* restore dump from unofficial 16 MB Card to official 4 MB card:
- Wind Waker: worked
- PSO I&II: didn't work

Also in GC-Mode official mcs seem to be a problem. Now heading forward to test with CTR-GCS in GC-Mode.

/Edit: didn't get ctr-gcs to run in GC-Mode on my Wii. Now testing ctr-gcs in Wii Mode.

Excelsiior

OP
Trophies
Website
www.nanolx.org
XP
Country
Germany
results are the same with ctr-gcs.

Hmm...

>> Hmm... The version of GCMM on the
c204.gif
Homebrew Browser supported restoring saves, though it did have problems...

You mean 1.0... indeed 1.0rev3 used a patch from hacksden to add official mc support prior to tueidjs work. Maybe this patch now broke something? Gonna test the clean version.

/Edit: tested with 1.0rev2: indeed. Still restore didn't fully work with PSO, but the game is no longer complaining about damaged MC... Gonna track the changes down and remove them in rev05

tmv_josue

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
/Edit: tested with 1.0rev2: indeed. Still restore didn't fully work with PSO, but the game is no longer complaining about damaged MC... Gonna track the changes down and remove them in rev05
Has a protection related to the ID:
Phantasy Star Online(Episode 1&2 at least, I would assume 3 is the same way) has save protection similar to F-Zero's, I believe. I could be wrong, though. It seems to refuse to work from a new memory card, even if you backup and move all 3 save files it makes(without doing this new method you've come up with). I could've done it wrong though, however.

suloku

Trophies
XP
Country
The only good way to test gci restore is to write a zeroed raw dump, then restore, dump again and see what has actually been writen to the card (which should be a 64 byte directory entri in block 2, the same entry in block 3 and the actual data in whatever block(s) from 6 onwards. If the card is blank the save will always use the first entry and block 6, but as long as that works it should work in any other position too... unless there's a bug in libogc when finding the directory entry and free block, but I think that works properly.

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Restoring/Backup works nice on a 59 block official nintendo card. I've started a new TOS1 continue I extracted months ago on Dolphin, exported the GCI to a file(dolphin) then restored to a card.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Yeah forgot to turn that off