Homebrew GCM files on Wii?

Cilerba

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking around for a while and I still can't seem to find anything. Is there a rather simple way to play .gcm files on the wii? Similar to play .wad files using WAD Manager?

David80008

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yup, just change the name of the file to 'game.iso', put it in a folder with the name of the game in it and place that folder in the folder that you store your GC games in on your HDD. Install 'Dios Mios 2.0' using 'wad manager 1.7' and then access them with 'USB loader GX'.

Taser9090

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can also slip that gcm file into the GC Compressor to convert it into an ISO while also saving space.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
with USBLoaderGX, you don't need to rename or convert the file, it works with game.gcm

GX accept these filenames:
game.iso
game.gcm
GZLP01.iso
GZLP01.gcm

game = "game" text.
GZLP01 = any gameID6

the path can be:
path/TITLE [GAMEID]/
path/GAMEID_TITLE/
path/TITLE/

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
"path" is the path to your game folder defined in the loader (you can edit the "base folder" where you place the games, so there's nothing specific, it's called "path", but the default location is "sd:/games/" or "usb:/games")

which gamecube loader are you using ?
DIOS MIOS, or Nintendont?

DM is old, Nintendont is newer and easier to use, has more compatibility, etc.

Read Nintendont's first post to get the information about the path and filename.
I'll just leave an example here :

usb:/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso

Another thing :
You are trying to follow direction and get help by reading information from 2012 !
You shouldn't trust old information without checking if there's no new version and hack and tools and everything else released since that time. It will prevent headache for you and for other users who will have to help you fix any issues due to following outdated guides.

what you need to keep from this thread is : gcm = iso, you can rename the file extension, then use your favorite (and newest) gamecube iso loader.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
DIOS MIOS use the same path layout than nintendont. (in fact, it's the other way, nintendont was released after DM/DML)
You can just rename the extension and put the game's ISO to the same place than your other games.

rms60

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I suspect I am doing something wrong trying to place a gcm image onto a WBFS formatted usb stick (Wii Backup Manager doesn't recognise the file structure either with iso or gcm extention) - but my Dolphin emu plays it ok. Would it be a problem for Wii to read/play the gcm image if I copy it to a FAT32 stick? The main question would be if USB loader mounts a FAT32 usb stick - so far I only managed to mount wbfs format in USB port).

ChibiMofo

Elon Musk is my dog
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
WBFS (both the disk format and the compressed ISO format) are Wii-only and do not work for GameCube games. It is no longer necessary to format any drive in WBFS format. Format your stick in FAT32 and created a WBFS folder for your Wii games and a Games folder for your GameCube games. Rename any GCM files to be ISO files. Then use Nintendont in conjunction with USB Loader GX.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    WPiso @ WPiso: m