GC Controller or Component Cables?

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by X D D X, Apr 27, 2009.

Apr 27, 2009
  1. X D D X
    OP

Member X D D X GBAtemp Advanced Fan

New Zealand
    ok, so I've got some money to spend on one of these things. I was looking at buying a GC controller or some Component cables since they're pretty cheap. The Controller will cost me $21 Including shipping and the cables will be $17 Including shipping. (Both prices in NZD)

So It's probably an easy choice with the GC controller, but i thought i won't use it as much. I mean, if i get it, i'll probably use it for a few games that i've got and also for Multiplayer.

The Component Cables will be plugged in to the TV all the time. Right now i'm using the standard cables Playing in 480i. I don't really have a problem with it but i've seen the 480p Pictures and they look really nice. Also wondering if these support Homebrew like the Backup Loaders? I read somewhere that it doesn't support 480p.

I just want you guys to help me decide and also i was wondering if the 480p cables really make a difference from 480i. The pictures look really nice.

2. dinofan01

Member dinofan01 Misses the old days...

United States
    Hmm well at first I would have said controller but you seem to think you won't use it much. Considering it won't take too long to make another $20 or so, I say go with the component cables first and then when you make another twenty buy a controller.

3. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    Depending on what games you are going to be using it for will depend on wjether you should get the GC controller or not. What games will you use it for.

4. X D D X
    OP

New Zealand
    The Major game will be SSBB since i've been playing with the Wiimote (It sucks). I'll also use it for Mario Kart Wii, DragonBall Z Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Bleach Versus Crusade.

I also remembered that i can use it for the N64 VC games too, so now i'm swaying towards the GC Controller.

5. Bladexdsl

Member Bladexdsl ZOMG my posts...it's over 9000!!!

Australia
    get the controller you can always get component cables later. if you can and if you can find 1 i recommend getting a wavebird their worth it.

6. raptir

Member raptir GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Get both, buy the component cable off of Monoprice (Google it). They have one for 3.52$. Yeah, they're dirt cheap, but I've never had an issue with a Monoprice cable, and they have a lifetime guarantee, anyway.

7. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Is the GC controller first party? If not, definitely get the component cables.

8. X D D X
    OP

New Zealand
    Both the Controller and the Cables are Third Party. I'll have a really hard time finding the official ones here and they will probably cost a lot more.

And also I can't really buy them from other places as most of them only accept Paypal and I haven't got one.

9. Eon-Rider

Member Eon-Rider GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Pretty much all third party GC controllers are crap from my experience.

10. DeMoN

Member DeMoN GBAtemp Guru

United States
    This man speaks truth.
    Get the component cables, they really do make a difference.

11. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    That's what I mean [​IMG]

Get the third party component cables, because from my experience, they all work pretty much the same (unlike controller quality).

12. X D D X
    OP

New Zealand
    It can't be that bad can it..... [​IMG]
    So then Component cables it is. Thanks for helping me decide guys.

And can someone explain what exactly is so bad about the Third Party GC Controllers?

13. ddp127

Member ddp127 GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    they are pretty bad quality, but if you search a little on dealextreme and other shops, you will probably find a good 3rd party,
    if you search for a 1st party controller;
    try ninty's store