Status
Not open for further replies.

GBAtemp's Gaming Fight Club #2: Mortal Kombat vs Street Fighter

smackdown.jpeg

Hello everyone and welcome back to a new GBAtemp Series by yours truly, the GBATEMP FIGHT CLUB!
Here's how Fight Club throws down tempers and temptresses. I'm going to take either 2 franchises, 2 characters, 2 specific games, or 2 of SOMETHING gaming related, and I'm going to pit them against each other for your enjoyment. But how do we declare a victor you may ask? That's where you come in!

The way this will work is I will give a brief synopsis of the two rivaling entities, and leave it up to all of you to vote and debate which one is the better being, and why that is. A combination of the poll votes, and the arguments made in this thread, will determine the victor! I will take poll votes into account for the most part, but the supporting arguments will also heavily decide who the victor will truly be.

This will be an attempted weekly act every Monday, where a victor will be chosen and a new round will begin, so you will have one week to argue and determine who or what the better of the two is. So without further ado, let's get to our competitors this week:​

MORTAL KOMBAT VS. STREET FIGHTER

ytymphg8loce25lxuobc.png

These respective fighting games changed the landscape for the arcade fighter in numerous ways, and are probably the two most respected and competitive fighting franchises of all time.

mortal-kombat-logo.jpg

Mortal Kombat not only introduced insane streamlined fighting mechanics, but also established the brutality, the violence, and the most famous FATALITY of fighting games. It was also the first fighting game to use digitized sprites to represent realism, something no other game had yet attempted. Basically the reason the ESRB exists in the first place, MK took violence to an all new level, and remains one of the most competitive fighting games to date.

1707485-sf.jpg

Street Fighter is heralded as the beginning of the Arcade fighter, and others will tell you it is THE Arcade fighter. Beginning in 1987, Street Fighter paved the way for competitive fighting games in general, and established the meta that those games would soon follow. Street Fighter has some of the most iconic characters in fighting games, even with Ryu making hi guest appearance in Nintendo's latest Smash Bros series, and is one of the highest selling fighting franchises to date.

We have a real brawl on our hands here tempers and temptresses, and it's up to you to decide if it's victory by Shoryuken or Fatality!

If you have a suggestion for what the next fight should be, leave a post on my profile page!

kehkou

does what Nintendon't
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oo, thats a tough one! Both are fun as hell. But I'm gonna go with MK. Nothing like being the cool kid on the block who knows how to pull off the hard Fatality.

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
Mortal Kombat was the first I played and while I was terrible I liked it.
At that time I only had PC and Mortal Kombat was what I had and the only other fighting game I saw was Killer Instinct only after years I saw a Street Fighter game and was Marvel vs Capcom(which has a more refined system than Street Fighter btw).

In Mortal Kombat you can't just win by knowing the moves. Even when I played as Liu Kang the CPU always destroyed me while in Street Fighter games I have played knowing the moves and spamming like there is no tomorrow can make you win.

So Mortal Kombat for me.

chavosaur

Chavo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Should've made it MK vs SSB, or SF vs KoF. They're better pairings imo.
It was originally suggested on my profile to be SSB vs SF, but I decided against it. Specifically because I do not consider Smash Bros within the same category as your average fighting game. Smash bros is a party fighting game, and I don't consider it anywhere near on the same level as SF or MK.

EDIT: Also the consideration I make when choosing two things to fight, isn't typically on how massively different they are, but rather, how similar they are so one could make a case for why one is the better choice over the other, despite their similarities.

Reactions: cvskid

keven3477

Fresh Prince of Lemonade
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have any street fighter games, but as much as I enjoyed the few times I was allowed to play MK double dash Deadly alliance when I was a kid (my dad bought it for my gamecube) I think I prefer street fighter since it has more memorable characters and moves, it is not exaggeratedly bloody, and because from what I hear the characters in mk keep coming back from death like death has no consequence just to fill a roster (except for that guy who became a zombie who apparently was the main protagonist.). To be fair, I have only played deadly alliance and I guess 2 or 3 battles in Armageddon since I got it and never touched again (because I was busy with other games, I don't remember if the fights were good or not) so I don't really know very much about mk but I enjoyed street fighter 1 from a Capcom collection I got, and I have also enjoyed sf 4 when I played with my brother in some japanesse arcade and in a computer from an electronics store and I have enjoyed playing those few times.

Last edited by keven3477,

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Overall I would say Street Fighter... always liked the games more.
I will admit the MK movie(s) were slightly less terrible than the SF one

EMP Knightmare

Fixing GBATemp's Feng Shui Engine (using Win XP)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Neither, I've always been a K.O.F. man myself (but I did pick Street Fighter because, . . . . . . well Juri ^_^)

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Tekken and/or Killer Instinct were added into the polling then I would have a hard time deciding, but hands down it is MK for me. SF gaming was nearly always initiated by a friend who wanted to play it and it bored me after not long.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mortal Kombat not only introduced insane streamlined fighting mechanics, but also established the brutality, the violence, and the most famous FATALITY of fighting games. It was also the first fighting game to use digitized sprites to represent realism, something no other game had yet attempted.

*ahem*

ATARI_-_PIT-FIGHTER_1990.jpg

Pit Fighter: 1990
Mortal Kombat: 1992

Last edited by duwen,
Reactions: VinsCool

Stang

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive played both since I was a small child. Although I loved ripping heads off, Street Fighter wins simply for what it has done for the FGC. SFIV has its flaws but it is responsible for bringing back a genre that was on the brink of death. Hell, because of it I even competed at SCR NCR and Evo multiple times, and met some awesome people along the way. Capcom hurry up with V!

Reactions: DS1
D

Deleted User

Mortal Kombat wins this with me. While they are both amazing games, the nostalgia of playing Mortal Kombat with my friends, and seeing how brutally I can beat them(literally) That just gives a feeling that street fighter can't stand up too. With me at least.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't play fighting games a whole lot, but I've played Street Fighter a couple times with friends. Guess on that note, I'm giving it to Street Fighter, although I can't really vouch for either of them.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SF VS KoF would be a legit tough choice because King of Fighters is one of the most underrated series of fighters ever created, at least in the US where I live. Another awesome set of fighters that get overlooked are the 2 Last Blade games which could be pitted against samurai Showdown although they're both made by SNK. Last Blade has amazing gameplay and beaitiful art inspired by Rurouni Kenshin and it's one of those games that's easy to pikc up and play but very very hard to master.

Emulating the Neogeo versions(or buying a NG) seems to be the best bet but the Japanese version of LB2 got a decent Dreamcast port, but the US version is censored to shit. Buy or burn the JP port.

MK is a great casual fighter, haven't really played the new ones enough to judge them so I'm talking about MK1-Trilogy. SF is much more fit for tournament play.

AkiraCast

Former professional QA tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Big Street Fighter fan here. I even bought the 25th anniversary box set a few years back. You can probably imagine my hype when Ryu got announced for Smash Bros. Switched my main instantly on that game lol

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty rusty at SF these days, especially 3rd Strike which requires a LOT of practice along with flawless timing for parrying so I'm a total shoto scrub and when I'm not using Ken or Akuma(Ryu in SF2hf), Chun-Li is stupidly good in 3S. SGSing motherfuckers with Akuma is the most satisfying way to win for me though.

Pit Fighter is hilariously bad but it's mostly that AWFUL SNES port that made it really infamous I think. Arcade version at least had some pretty sick visuals in its day. I rented the SNES port back in grade school and it was almost incomprehensible how terrible it was.

Last edited by Hungry Friend,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm pretty rusty at SF these days, especially 3rd Strike which requires a LOT of practice along with flawless timing for parrying so I'm a total shoto scrub and when I'm not using Ken or Akuma(Ryu in SF2hf), Chun-Li is stupidly good in 3S. SGSing motherfuckers with Akuma is the most satisfying way to win for me though.

Pit Fighter is hilariously bad but it's mostly that AWFUL SNES port that made it really infamous I think. Arcade version at least had some pretty sick visuals in its day. I rented the SNES port back in grade school and it was almost incomprehensible how terrible it was.
The megadrive port of Pit Fighter wasn't any better - I never bothered with the snes one after being so let down with the version on the MD. It was a shame, because the coin-op was a lot of fun in its day when played with a couple of mates.

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Never played the Genesis/MD version but I kinda thought it would be a little better and have less slowdown. gotta try it out sometime but I believe you. Consoles were way, WAY behind arcade HW back in the day.

SF2 on the SNES, Genesis and PC-Engine in its various forms were all seen as very accurate ports, but if you play the arcade version and then compare the console ports to it, there's a tremendous graphical downgrade but the gameplay for the most part is intact. Bit of slowdown in the SNES ports but very minor.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Never played the Genesis/MD version but I kinda thought it would be a little better and have less slowdown. gotta try it out sometime but I believe you. Consoles were way, WAY behind arcade HW back in the day.

SF2 on the SNES, Genesis and PC-Engine in its various forms were all seen as very accurate ports, but if you play the arcade version and then compare the console ports to it, there's a tremendous graphical downgrade but the gameplay for the most part is intact. Bit of slowdown in the SNES ports but very minor.
I always preferred the snes ports of SF to the versions the sega console got. Although I chuckled to myself when someone mentioned playing the snes version of Street Fighter Alpha/Zero on the catsfc emu on the 3ds - that port was no fun at all - but by the time that was out I was playing it on Saturn and PSX, and even they were a far cry from the arcade version. Saturn was noticeably superior to PSX though.

Hungry Friend

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, Saturn ports of 2d games were generally better even without one of the RAM carts. I would've bought a Saturn back in the day if X-men VS Street Fighter had been released on the US Saturn because holy fuck was the PS1 port bad. Because of the 4mb RAM cart, the Saturn version was literally arcade perfect minus the 2 second load screens before matches. From the videos of it I've watched, I haven't noticed a single missing frame of animation and I've played the shit out of the arcade version in MAME. MSH VS SF as well as the best versions of SFA3 and Vampire Savior were also on the Japanese Saturn and I really wish the SS would've sold better outside of Japan. Such an underrated system and the expansion port was a great idea that allowed those high-end CPS2 ports to be flawless. If not flawless, damn close and I use a SS controller+adapter for emulation because it's amazing for fighters.

Reactions: duwen

DS1

Tired
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't played MK in years so I may not be able to make the most informed decision here, but I've appreciated the whole Street Fighter series throughout the years while the MK games never really interested me outside of some of the cooler character designs.

SF has just had so much development as well in terms of strategy and competitive play. I could tell you any number of in-depth things about SF strategy, but I have no idea what MK strategy is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: never had that i don't think