GBAtemp Tournament Week - Pokemon Sword and Shield

swsh.png

With the thrilling Smash Bros Ultimate LAN Play tournament safely behind us, we continue on to the next event: Pokemon Sword and Shield![prebreak]1[/prebreak] This will be using official servers, and as such, you'll need both a copy of the game and an active Nintendo Switch Online subscription. The event kicks off tomorrow, April 6th, at 6 PM in the UK. You may be asking what time that is in your local region? To those unwilling to use a search engine, we have your backs! Click right here and you'll be taken to a countdown for the event. With $50 on the line, you won't want to miss out!

To participate, simply reply to this thread with your in-game name. When the tournament starts, I'll put together a bracket of participants, and you'll battle each other via Link Battle on the Y-Comm. To make things a bit more interesting, the rules we'll be using will be put to a vote, between 3v3 Singles and 4v4 Doubles.

Regardless of format, the following restrictions will apply:
  • All Pokémon are set to Lv. 50, including Pokémon below Lv. 50
  • Duplicate Pokémon are not allowed
  • Duplicate held items are not allowed
  • Dynamax and Gigantamax are legal with no restrictions
  • You may only use one team of Pokemon for the duration of the tournament, with no edits to this team allowed between games
Additionally, the following Pokemon are not permitted:
  • Zacian
  • Zamazenta
  • Eternatus
  • Mewtwo
  • Mew
  • Celebi
  • Jirachi
  • Reshiram
  • Zekrom
  • Kyurem
  • Keldeo
  • Solgaleo
  • Lunala
  • Necrozma
  • Marshadow
  • Zeraora
  • Melmetal
If there's any further information or clarifications wanted, by all means ask away and I'll try my best to get everybody on the same page. Don't forget there's also still time to submit your perfect Animal Crossing New Horizons home designs! Check out the main tournament thread here for more information.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
OP
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I don't like it. To truly excel at doubles, you need a team that you understand, it's a big mindgame. In Singles, you're a lot more reliant on gimmicks and sweepers, you can ban anything in Singles and people will bring a Dunsparce with a crazy set nobody sees coming and sweep the tournament. In Doubles, not so much.
It's honestly really interesting to me you say that about Doubles. To me it's the opposite. Doubles gives you more room for crazy combinations and plays you'd never expect. Like a Cherrim next to a physical Torkoal sounds awful, but in doubles you could make it work and pull a victory out of nowhere. With so many random and wild combinations, I'd be interested in what people can come up with. That being said, depending on how many people enter, the ban list could become too restrictive.

I just really like the idea of different mons being banned for each tourney. Maybe ban every mon on the winners team for the next tourney? Something like that could still be interesting.

breaktemp

D-Sun who was called D-Moon
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Will end with this, since I have no further comments about this tournament
Not discrediting either finalist skill at this game
The fact that both finalist used Rental-Teams is noted
The fact that the user of the Rental-Team did not know how to use the team and still won the tournament is noted
The fact that future forum tournaments will be more clear on the use of Rental-Teams is noted.

Me, I never faced any of the finalist in the bracket
And even with a powerful Rental-Team, it takes a nice amount of brain power to continually win in a double battle match (4v4)
I had a great time battling my opponents
And it seems that everyone generally had fun with the tournament.
Do I feel that Rental-Teams should be banned in future tournaments...no
If anything, Rental-Teams would allow more users to join in and participate in tournaments.
This tournament has concluded, and I am sure the host has now received a nice amount of feedback from everyone.
Again, thanks for taking the time to host and even stream the final match.

Reactions: Something whatever

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just really like the idea of different mons being banned for each tourney. Maybe ban every mon on the winners team for the next tourney? Something like that could still be interesting.
As a compromise, we could make it so the winner has to use a completely different team in the next tournament. They can't use any of the same Pokemon.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lmao that sold out fast +1