1. Scarlet

OP Scarlet Pretty Pretty Princess
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    The finals will be streamed live on Twitch tomorrow! It's between me and Sma with me holding the advantage.

2. Something whatever

Something whatever Gazer of the East

United States
    Best of luck you two

Low-key want a rematch with you afterwords

3. Scarlet

Reporter

United Kingdom
    Just gone live for the finals, will be starting shortly over on Twitch!

Something whatever and Sma like this.
  4. Staff Posts: Finals Replay
    Scarlet

Reporter

United Kingdom
    And that is the tournament! Set 1 Sma won 2-0, and set 2 I took 2-1 by the narrowest of margins.

Though it is littered with swearing, I encourage y'all to check out the battles, especially the last one. It was just so back and forth:

Sma likes this.
  5. Sma

Sma Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    That was honestly one of the best matches I've ever been a part of. Obviously defeat will always sting, but being able to take the set to the absolute wire was more than I could ask for. GG's Scarlet, you're brilliant <3

(Fuck Ferrothorn tho)

Something whatever and Scarlet like this.
  6. Something whatever

United States
  7. breaktemp

breaktemp D-Sun who was called D-Moon

United States
    First battle starts at: 00:25:10
    Wait a minute...rental teams were legal in this tournament ?
    No wonder ya went undefeated >_<"
    Guess that is on me for not realizing that was okay for this tournament.
    Might want to clarify that during the next tournament.
    I don't know...renting a VGC World Champ's teams feels like an odd way to do a friendly forum tournament.

8. Scarlet

Reporter

United Kingdom
    I mean the team I rented was made in Season 1 where a lot of the big threats weren't legal lol, you can tell it wasn't made to fight a Lapras for example.

9. Something whatever

United States
    I forgot we could rent pokemon teams in this..

10. Scarlet

Reporter

United Kingdom
    I'm curious, would anybody here be interested in regular Pokemon tournaments? Say bi-weekly or something like that. Obviously they wouldn't have as high a prize as this one, but we could probably get something if the interest is there.

11. Sma

Sma Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Hellllll yeah.

12. breaktemp

breaktemp D-Sun who was called D-Moon

United States
    @Scarlet

Let me take a little more time to be clear.
    As the host of a tournament, it is important to outline the options of what is acceptable and not acceptable.
    From the opening-post, for me, it seemed like tournament entrants were to use a team of pokemon that we caught, traded, or raised ourselves.
    That is just how I understood it, the experience has been soured with this revelation.
    While using a rental team is a bit shocking
    I am disappointed more to the fact that the tournament host would go out their way
    To enter the tournament, that they are hosting, with a rental team of a top ranked Video Game Championship (VGC) player.
    While I am sure you had fun crushing everyone's "home-made" Pokémon teams
    For me, it is still disappointing to get satisfaction from winning that way.
    With that said, it is not like there was any money or prizes on the line for the tournament.
    So will just use this as a learning experience to know to ask about rental teams next time.
    Congrats on winning and thanks for hosting this tournament.

Last edited by breaktemp, Apr 7, 2020 - Reason: ...
  13. Scarlet

Reporter

United Kingdom
    Aye, it's my bad for not specifying. I assumed people knew about rental teams, but I can be more clear in future.

Now as for the other parts, a team is a team. I don't know why a "home-made" team would be any better or worse than a rental one. Really, there's a lot I disliked about the team I used, it was heavily outdated and lead to some unfavourable matchups against more modern teams, but I had never used Gyarados before and fancied giving it a go.

If you think I won solely on the merits of the team, that's for you to think. I'd like to believe I had good battles with each of my opponents, and that they had a good time facing off against me and some of the outrageous plays I had to make at times.

14. Sma

Sma Member
    Newcomer

United Kingdom
    Just to chime in too, I didn't feel I lost to the team - I lost to Scarlet. How he plays, and how the original creator of the team plays, are very different and I no doubt would have had a very different kind of match. If anything, he probably was at more of a disadvantage as he had no idea what the team could do fully, what each 'Mon was calc'd to take hits from, etc. It wasn't the team that won the tourney for Scarlet, but his skills.

(Also as an FYI, I also used a rental team as I accidentally ran out of time to finish building the team myself before the tournament started.)

Last edited by Sma, Apr 7, 2020
  15. Chary

Chary Please read the OP
    Senior Editor

United States
    Aw man rental teams? I coulda entered then. I would have lost fantastically, but I coulda entered!

Mad props though to both finalists, wow. I didn't expect to be that interested in a Pokemon match but the commentary and fights themselves were really fun to watch!

Sma and Scarlet like this.
  16. Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos Entertainer

Australia
    Yes please. Do it. And have a singles and doubles bracket.
    ... MULTI BRACKET?!?!?!?!?! :creep:

Something whatever likes this.
  17. Scarlet

Reporter

United Kingdom
    My grand ambition is something along the lines of this...

So for each tourney, each person bans one Pokemon. Then the people get maybe a week to build a team based around those bans, and like the top three get their bans added to a global list for future tournies. That way, we have an ever-evolving ban list and people are forced to get creative with their team compositions. As for the format, we could just alternate between singles and doubles for each tourney, but yeah. That's the general idea I have. Still a bit raw though!

Sma likes this.
  18. Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos Entertainer

Australia
    Dude, I had her beat and I fucked up. Both of my losses were because I fucked up, but specifically the 3rd round against Scarlet I made some bad moves.
    If you brought a good team, you could have won. My team was homemade and I was mega rusty at Doubles. If you lose to a rental team- I appreciate it's a very good rental team- your opponent probably still trained a bit with it and learned it.

I back myself, is what I'm saying. Big disagree on that assessment, Scarlet won because she played well.

I don't like it. To truly excel at doubles, you need a team that you understand, it's a big mindgame. In Singles, you're a lot more reliant on gimmicks and sweepers, you can ban anything in Singles and people will bring a Dunsparce with a crazy set nobody sees coming and sweep the tournament. In Doubles, not so much.

Sma likes this.
  19. Scarlet

Reporter

United Kingdom
    God that Corsola is nasty against a team of five physical mons lol

20. Darth Meteos

Darth Meteos Entertainer

Australia
    It has Amnesia as well. Five physicals just makes my life a li'l easier.

Scarlet likes this.

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Tournament, GBAtemp, Pokemon