1. Asia81

Asia81 In my Ecchi World <3

France
    wow, really?

2. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Argentina
    Yeah, the game was also really easy to Level and Rank Grind. I was able to get Silver rank before the event when you see the Elite Gold team for example. And I didn't get Gold rank early due to not wanting to break the story.

Not having a non MP attack is stupid since the amount of enemies you face by Dungeon tends to depend on the Random Number God so running out of MP in just a few levels was a thing unless you spammed the non MP attacks a lot.

Heck sometimes I went to a high level Dungeon and barely faced any enemies because the stairs were just there.

AkiraKurusu likes this.
  3. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Fan

Russia
    After playing everything before these two in alphabetical order

4. ignare

ignare GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The DS ones were even greater, but this first ones still set a standard that was timelessly enjoyable.

5. Xandrid

Xandrid GBAtemp Maniac

Nigeria
    I still have my Red Rescue Team cartridge, in very good condition. No gba tho lol

6. ChaosEternal

ChaosEternal GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Brigand likes this.
  7. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Succubus™ Grumpy Enby

Antarctica
    I love all of the Pokémon MD games, even the less good ones on the 3DS. I love the stories they tell, how personal each Pokémon becomes, and the always emotional endings that make me cry. They are seriously the best Pokémon spinoff games.

Ryccardo likes this.
  8. Personally, I'd skip these, simply because Explorers of Sky is everything that these games were, except better, and with a lot more content. imo you wouldn't be missing out on much. EoS has a bunch of quality-of-life improvements, the story there is arguably a much better experience, and you still have access to the same 386 Pokémon + all the Gen. 4 ones. Though I guess it might be worth playing Red/Blue just for its unique story, if you've never played it through before, but eh.

I'd also argue that Red > Blue, just because Blue's touch screen support is... somewhat clunky. Nowhere near as smooth and responsive as it was in Explorers. And there's something to be said about Red being the only PMD available on the GBA. Makes it a bit unique in that way, and it's nice being able to play it on a smaller console. Although Blue has the advantage of being able to have the dungeon map on a separate screen, which is convenient, and you can still use button controls anyway, if the touch controls feel too clunky.

Ryccardo likes this.
  9. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Argentina
    Blue Rescue Team on the DS was fun and easy to play but the post game content kinda sucked save for the Gengar Epilogue mission. Having your partner be silent after it talking for most of the game was kind of creppy.

10. Justinde75

Justinde75 Capsule Co's VGM Addict

Germany
    I personally much prefer exploration team on the ds, but rescue team is also a great time. Hope they'll make a GOOD comeback!

11. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Italy
    Dunno - it certainly has better controls (with a couple exceptions), but there's a lot more gratuitous text to skip, wigglytuff sucks but that's the corollary of the previous point, the town is even more spread out...

Deleted-236924 likes this.
  12. Torina

Torina GBAtemp Regular

France
    20 years later, I'm still amazed by the success of this serie.

Being in high school, I was one or two years too old to enjoy the anime which was basically a toy seller, like too many 80's crappy cartoons.

I somehow enjoyed yellow in 2000 on emulator but the "press A to win" type of RPG wasn't really rewarding. Catching an Abra (the rodent which teleport all the time) was the one and only satisfying moment of the whole game.

Well, a gaming experience as dull and forgettable to me as console RTS are dull and forgettable to the vast majority of players (while SC2 on GPD is wonderful, but I digress again).

O tempora...

13. AkiraKurusu

AkiraKurusu GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Yellow...probably didn't help that Psychic was the undisputed king type back in Gen I. Its only weakness was the ridiculously weak Bug-type (the only damaging moves, Leech Life, Pin Missile and Twineedle, have ≤25 Base Power), and Ghost was ineffective due to a coding error (even if it functioned as advertised, the only offensive Ghost-type moves were Lick - weak - and Night Shade - dealt the user's Level as damage, so could also be weak).
    Not to mention how Psychic-types generally had high Special, which meant they dealt high damage with their same-type moves but also took very little damage from many common moves due to them being Special types (as opposed to physical).

That Abra could easily become one of the best Pokemon in the game, breaking any kind of balance. Its only real flaw is its inherently low Defense, but Alakazam could still survive one Body Slam or Earthquake and retaliate hard.

14. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Argentina
    Yeah.

One of my self imposed challenges was to beat Pokemon Blue Gyms and Elite Four plus Champion just with my starter and Bug Pokemon save for the HM slave. That made the game quite a lot more challenging.

Doing that in Yellow is possible but requires to either overlevel or use a lot of items.

Mewtwo was so broken you could beat the Elite Four plus Champion just with him and depending on moves you might not even need him to get healed.

AkiraKurusu likes this.
  15. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

United States
    Demo seems fun. Hopefully this'll do well and they'll make more of its ilk.

16. leonmagnus99

leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    how's Gates to infinity?
    where should i start if i want to play the mystery dungeon games

17. KingBlank

KingBlank King of Nothing

New Zealand
    I dont think super sucked, Gates was HORRIBLE though

18. Daisy

OP Daisy Reporter
    Reviewer

United Kingdom
    better than super

still sucks

You should start with Rescue Team or Explorers

19. brunocar

brunocar GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Argentina
    Just come here to say that people should play Shiren's Mystery Dungeon more.

20. Boured

Boured A Dusk Lycanroc who cares a lot about people.

United States
    YES, finally the series is getting some much needed love. Thing has been more of a niche thing, only really skyrocketing with the explorers games. Hopefully the new remake of these games make the series at least somewhat sell enough to keep it around, but hopefully more!

For anyone going to play the original however, play the GBA release, has much richer music in comparison to the DS release. While blue has better quality, the gba release has much more life to it's music tracks. Look up one song from both games, red will clearly be superior (in my opinion at least)

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Recommends, Pokémon, GBAtemp