Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gbatemp_recommends_revivla_logo2_build-1.png
Welcome to the 60th issue of the GBAtemp Recommends Revival Project! This project is a weekly feature where we share our favourite games and applications with you. The titles we recommend may be "old school" games, a piece of Homebrew, a ROM hack, sleeper hits, an application, etc, but one thing's for certain, we think they are fantastic and deserve your attention!​
GBAtemp Recommends!

2mh7ybs.jpg
351erlz.jpg

Developed by Monotlith Products (Blood 1&2, F.E.A.R. Series, Condemned) The Operative: No One Lives Forever was a first person shooter with stealth gameplay that was heavily inspired by the style, humour and spirit 1960's spy TV series and films that graced that decade such as James Bond, Man from U.N.C.L.E, The Avengers, Mission: Impossible etc. You play the English ex-Cat burglar come UNITY agent Cate Archer on a mission to defeat terrorist organisation, H.A.R.M from their latest deadly threat on the world.

When released on the PC twelve years ago, it was hailed as one of the best first person shooters since Half-Life and rightly so. Like Half-Life it was very story driven and had some very good scenes in between gameplay though this game was more like a more advanced GoldenEye (and far better imo) in terms of levels and mission structure. As Cate you travelled the globe during the 60's Cold War era visiting a good variety of locations such as Morocco, Germany, the Caribbean as well as outer space to gather important information, taking out their H.A.R.M. agents and protect certain important people.

The level design was top notch, unlike a lot of FPS games at the time you would never find yourself lost, walking around wondering where to go next it, they were a little more linear than some titles in the genre but they suited the overall spy style as well as keep the story moving onwards. Most missions can be completed in multiple ways to suit the type of gamer you are. Action gamer? Most of the time you can just run in and shoot your way out. Stealth gamer? You can do your sneaking around and get around the missions without firing your gun.

A novel feature of the game was the feminine objects you can use. Among many items there was lipstick that made a great explosive device, perfume can be thrown in which sleeping gas would escape and also there was a robotic poodle which you can use to distract guard dogs.

The atmosphere is really what makes this game stand out from many in the genre, it's funny moments are actually funny and the look, voice acting, music and action really do bring out the 60's spy theme well. The music is very memorable, big bold brassy tune that could easily come from the very best movies and shows of that era. The character and model design was extremely good for the time

Playing this game today, it clearly is a game of it's time however for me this is a good thing. The single player mode is very lengthy (like they were back then) and it new exactly when to ramp up the action and when to slow things down for more stealthy missions.

For those who want to play a well thought out story driven shooter where they actually PLAY most of the game and do more in a game than just shoot your way through. The Operative: No One Lives Forever is a fine example of classic FPS gaming.

Note: The PS2 version was below par, a lot of PC FPS ports weren't done very well back then so I don't recommend that version...of course nowadays it's PC gamers who suffer poor console ports. The version to look out for was the Game of the Year edition (unlike now, back then GOTY games actually won GOTY before these versions were released) which included an extra mission. The sequel No One Lives Forever 2: A Spy In H.A.R.M'S Way was also fantastic however the spin off Contract J.A.C.K. was a piece of crap.

Genre: First Person Shooter
Release Year: 2000 (PC), 2002 (PS2/Mac)
Developer: Monolith Productions
Published by: Fox Interactive (PC), Universal Interactive/Sierra (PS2)
Designed by: Craig Hubbard
Released For: PC/Mac/PS2

If you enjoyed this weeks edition of GBAtemp Recommends! please leave a comment in the thread. This helps us monitor feedback and ensures we keep posting these articles in the future.

We are always looking for community members who wish to get more involved. If you would like to write a GBAtemp Recommends! article, let us know.

Reactions: BortzANATOR

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I kind of missed this until a bit later (I was still well into PC games at the time and was still enjoying Thief), I will have to check out the mod scene for this. Now you have got me excited for Fuse/Overstrike again (probably my highlight of E3 2011).

Edit Moddb only has a couple of maps, a pity as I had kind of hoped for one of those overhaul patches. I will continue to look but unless your game is Elder scrolls that site works well enough.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Oh yes. I loved this game back when I was a kid. What's wrong with the PS2 version though? It was the one I played and seemed to have better graphics but I might be wrong there. It was definitely very enjoyable though.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I still have part 2 of this game in my collection of PC games... (well library would probably be a more fitting word?) I wonder if the CD key for it would work on Steam?

Fighting Ninja women in a trailer park is probably the most fun level... lol

fvig2001

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Waaah! I miss this game. I remember eavesdropping on a guy who was confessing his love to someone and when you entered the room, he was talking to a goat. Fun times.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yes. I loved this game back when I was a kid. What's wrong with the PS2 version though? It was the one I played and seemed to have better graphics but I might be wrong there. It was definitely very enjoyable though.
Graphically it was a lot worse (so many texture tears), framerate was pretty dire, jumping was extremely dodgy (much like most PC FPS ports) and poor messy and inaccurate control (put the auto aim on and it's even worse).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Graphically it was a lot worse (so many texture tears), framerate was pretty dire, jumping was extremely dodgy (much like most PC FPS ports) and poor messy and inaccurate control (put the auto aim on and it's even worse).
I seemed to be able to play it just fine but maybe I wasn't very picky. It got hard at some parts but I still managed fine until a stealth one where I lost if anyone sounded the alarm. That one was a pain but I did eventually beat that one too.

Smuff

Fossilized Gamer
Trophies
XP
Country
I really enjoyed this game. Looking back on it now it reminds me of a female lead version of Austin Powers, especially that bit in the sequel where you were attacked by unicycle riding mimes - I've said too much.

inacito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, I remember playing this game too. As a matter of fact I still have my copy of it, but when I try to run the installer (on Windows7 x64) I keep on getting a compatibility message. I've tried both Win98 and WinXP settings. How can this be solved? Thanks.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/NGOSybO-5R4?si=SmiQ0UaynHR80xC9