Status
Not open for further replies.

vinstage

sweg
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
no no let's be fair, I was vague with my language, I implied estimations with the language but never directly said I'm estimating it, I only overestimated the server cost
Fair point, however at the moment; until figures are released or something, the only answers we're actually getting are overly defensive and jumping straight to conclusions.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
He did say estimated, so correct us or prove us wrong. Please.
...I don't think that's something that needs to be made public, even if anyone but the admins knew. I'm just saying you're throwing out numbers acting like it's even close, trying to mathematician it out with no actual proof yourself.

Fair point, however at the moment; until figures are released or something, the only answers we're actually getting are overly defensive and jumping straight to conclusions.
More like overly aggressive :/ there's no need to gripe about this. No one said that's the exact cost of what things are. It's just a hopeful goal. I do not see the big concern here.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You also seem to be forgetting the concept of expansion.

The site is as big as it is now, with activities as big as it is now, because of its revenue.
They could vastly improve infrastructure and staffing to make GBAtemp even larger, if enough money came in monthly to do so. GBAtemp would be able to cover more things better.

Plus a whole lot of other things.

Your ranting and raving is pointless and short sighted. If you don't wish to support the site, don't. There's no point ragging on those that do.

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't personally think that having a generous Patreon goal is too harmful. There's no pressure to donate and, like you said, people who block ads anyway aren't going to notice anything different.

However, once I see Patreon links taking up a notable amount of space in the site UI or donor-exclusive content, then I'd say there's a problem.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Patreon is a place for asking money for making what one loves to do. If they get as many donations, what's wrong with it?

If you're not okay with it, don't donate, @LittleFlame, it's as easy as that.

There are more awards in the other tiers you didn't even mention, anyway. And it's not like they are saying "donate or we'll ban you".

I earn only 400 USD per month, and USD$5000 looks like a lot of money for me; but if some people like the site enough to donate, there's nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by Olmectron,

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Patreon is a place for asking money for making what one loves to do. If they get as many donations, what's wrong with it?

If you're not okay with it, don't donate, @LittleFlame, it's as easy as that.

There are more points in the other tiers you didn't even mention, anyway. And it's not like they are saying "donate or we'll ban you".

I earn only 400 USD per month, and USD$5000 looks like a lot of money for me; but if some people like the site enough to donate, there's nothing bad with it.
which once again is fine, completely fine, I was just asking the question of the pricepoint and I got my response anyway, the response being "It's just a goal" which I once again find odd but acceptable

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
which once again is fine, completely fine, I was just asking the question of the pricepoint and I got my response anyway, the response being "It's just a goal" which I once again find odd but acceptable
Well, yes. It's a goal. You even said so in the OP.

Whatever, it seems you're okay with that answer. So, have a nice day.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
-snip-

I simply disagree with the price point, I'm personally not going to donate no, the OP was a question, not a challenge or a state of fact.

It's not a price point.
There really is no answer to your mostly pointless question.

Though I basically did answer it. If GBAtemp wants to grow, it needs revenue proportional to that. Ads bring in revenue, the 5k goal is simply a nice gesture to anyone who doesn't use adblock (and you'd probably be surprised how many don't). At 5k they no longer need the ad revenue

To put it in terms you might understand

More money = better site

It's just math. There is no "goal"
The more they bring in, the more the site can do, and the better it can do it.

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
To everyone complaining about it.
As said by @Olmectron , if you don't like it, don't donate.
If you don't like the site, then leave.

We'll manage fine without you.

Now if everyone where to donate something, you'd have a chance at raffles where you can win great prizes.
The more money that's going towards temp, the more things you (as a backer) will receive as a reward.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
If you don't like my post then just leave
that's the exact same logic there, I'm just trying to ask a question and maybe make a point and I get attacked for this shit
You said something was "fucking dumb" about the donation platform they are proposing. Of course you'll get attacked. Sorry for stating the obvious out.

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Your point was accusatory, complaintative, and lacking in either logical thinking or an actual point. That's why you're being refuted. You're apparently the one who can't handle the comments, reacting so negatively.

EDIT. If this thread continues this way or derails, there's no point and it'd just warrant a lock.

Last edited by Chary,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: "I'm cheating on you with your hamster's cousin's owner's dog's favorite tree" +1