GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Guild McCommunist said:
Fel said:
You do sound a bit like a Sony fanboy there. What bars Ninty from making also a very powerful console in the next generation?

WiiU's biggest selling point will be its newest functions, which can be used by all games whether they are by third party companies or not. For now it looks amazing and if Microsoft or Sony will have them as well, it will be a rip-off really. Even if they have them, WiiU will have all what's its shown first, which will be a thing people will flock to. Besides, it's not only about Mario and Zelda, it's also that you know you'll get games of a specific type that you're looking forward to.
smile.gif
And the feeling of familiarity, if you've had any of the first gen Nintendo consoles and handhelds.

People seem to think I'm a Sony fanboy. I'm just trying to be a realist who doesn't think Nintendo games are the best in the world. They're fun and everything, but no longer are selling points to me. Also, demos seem to put it at a current generation level of graphics. Currently I think the best looking game (from trailers and stuff I've seen) is Battlefield 3, for the record.

I think the WiiU controller is a good idea, it's a bit large but not unbearable and it has some neat ideas, I just think Nintendo needed to launch it with graphics that can compete with the next generation and with more cards in their hand than first parties. The third party list was pretty underwhelming; most of it is stuff I can get on my other consoles (as well as their previous games).

Side note, what's the deal on the online features? I didn't see anything in the summary about it and honestly, the console with superior online is gonna do it for me. I like being able to interact with my friends and play with them online without the atrocity of Friend Codes or an overall terrible online offering (which the Wii gave us, honestly).
Yeah, if I hadn't met you here before I would have thought you really were one.
wink.gif
Well, it's all about different gaming tastes - I think that all the big producers have awesome games and like Ninty and Sony equally, they're both have a different feel. And because graphics never meant that much to me and I actually prefer some of the older types of graphics to newer ones, I don't mind that much if Ninty doesn't have HD like Sony and Microsoft have now.d PS3 I bet even more life like visuals will be what these two will go after.

Well, it looks like they decided to upgrade the graphics but mainly focues on the various things it can do instead of massively improving its visual capabilities, which is good as well, as people will go for those gimmicks. And most of its games are supposed to be new sequels, so you'll be able to get them only when they release if for them (if they ever do - they weren't announced for the other consoles yet, after all).

It can be used for video chatting, a girl was shown talking to her friend over it, but I don't think online gaming features were mentioned yet. Though you can play on it with your friends using several split screens or something like that. But I think they'll use something like 3DS's one console code or what's easy to handle to make it more user friendly.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
JPhantom said:
friend codes are here to stay but I think they'll at least use console friend codes instead of game friend codes. should help a bit
I have a feeling I'll just fuck it all and go with a Vita/PC for my next generation.
I agree with that notion. That's the best and cheapest someone like you would get all the games they want for.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Fel said:
You do sound a bit like a Sony fanboy there. What bars Ninty from making also a very powerful console in the next generation?

WiiU's biggest selling point will be its newest functions, which can be used by all games whether they are by third party companies or not. For now it looks amazing and if Microsoft or Sony will have them as well, it will be a rip-off really. Even if they have them, WiiU will have all what's its shown first, which will be a thing people will flock to. Besides, it's not only about Mario and Zelda, it's also that you know you'll get games of a specific type that you're looking forward to.
smile.gif
And the feeling of familiarity, if you've had any of the first gen Nintendo consoles and handhelds.

People seem to think I'm a Sony fanboy. I'm just trying to be a realist who doesn't think Nintendo games are the best in the world. They're fun and everything, but no longer are selling points to me. Also, demos seem to put it at a current generation level of graphics. Currently I think the best looking game (from trailers and stuff I've seen) is Battlefield 3, for the record.

I think the WiiU controller is a good idea, it's a bit large but not unbearable and it has some neat ideas, I just think Nintendo needed to launch it with graphics that can compete with the next generation and with more cards in their hand than first parties. The third party list was pretty underwhelming; most of it is stuff I can get on my other consoles (as well as their previous games).

Side note, what's the deal on the online features? I didn't see anything in the summary about it and honestly, the console with superior online is gonna do it for me. I like being able to interact with my friends and play with them online without the atrocity of Friend Codes or an overall terrible online offering (which the Wii gave us, honestly).
Because that is how you present yourself. You seem to think that you're one of the only people on this forum that likes Sony. You're not. Many people here see merit in Sony products, but the way they handle themselves make them a less attractive choice nowadays. I understand it has become your personal preference, but I no longer see the Guild that made this forum more attractive. You don't see all the bad things concerning Sony consoles, and you ignore many of the good things about Nintendo consoles. Borderline Fanboy conduct as many of us forummers see it now.

I'm still wondering why everyone sees the Wii U's new controller scheme as big. Considering that unless you are able to bring it with you when you leave home, the NGP is much more bothersome with it's size. The Wii U may not have the most pretty Graphics next Gen, but it will most certainly sell much more than Nintendo's competitors. Seeing as they really market to more than one demographic.

Also, considering BF3 was shown, I would assume that Nintendo will be beefing the online up. Perhaps they will continue to fine tune their FC system to where the console FCs will be associated with a player Nickname and you can search your friends. That way the service could remain free.

RE4zombie

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild, a successor for the PS3 or 360 won't be coming for at least another 4 years. The PS3 is relying on a 10 year life cycle, which indicates a successor in 2016. Microsoft is using Kinect in an attempt to lengthen the lifecycle of the 360 by broadening the audience. By the the time those new consoles come around, Nintendo won't be playing catch-up for anything. And remember about the demos, they wouldn't seem up to snuff graphically because they haven't been in years of development unlike finished 360 or PS3 games. The demos are meant to show off the gameplay of a system more than its graphical capability.

D

Deleted_171835

FAST6191 said:
Zelda- Skyward sword Wii was about the only thing mentioned. Now set for a “holiday” release and will make use of the Wii motion plus. A special gold remote for that care about such things is set to appear to mark the occasion. We were promised "lots of content" too.
I'm really excited for this. Can't wait for it to be released!

FAST6191 said:
The DS
Although the DS has a successor there is still a massive install base of DS consoles which developers/publishers would be foolish to overlook. Last years looks to have been the final year for the DS with only a mention of the DSi getting a September of a version of Zelda 4 swords as a free download.[/p]
Zelda: 4 Swords should be really interesting. It didn't work too well on the Gamecube/GBA because of the need for link cables. If you are able to connect the game to other DS systems wirelessly, it should be pretty awesome.
Hopefully, it's available on the eShop, too.

FAST6191 said:
The main note is the tablet like controller.
The screen was a 6.2 inch screen surrounded by a fair amount of plastic that sported about as many buttons as a gamecube controller.
It is said to be backwards compatible with the Wii and although Nintendo danced around it a bit EA outright said it was HD compatible.
The screen is touchscreen (not sure about the technology)
This was showcased with a game of Reversi between two people and showed a tilt sensor (later said to be an accelerometer)
A camera was mentioned too.
Rumble apparently features and the controller itself has a microphone and speakers.

Much was made of the features this setup enables.
Enhanced controls for games include fine aiming for things, a secondary controller/screen like you might have see in some DS games, secondary data/maps, a gun cam (see something similar if you do a search for “VR Game Gun”) and more. Such things are not new; the gamecube had a linkup with the GBA that did things like this, the dreamcast had a VMU that did interesting things, many might recall the rear view mirrror thing with the PSP and PS3 the other year but this looked to be that taken to the extreme.

Video calls were apparently possible although whether it will support standard voip/sip type arrangements is unknown.

Equally the ability to browse the internet and flick things back and forth from TV for most things including games supposedly with no latency was featured heavily.

Speculation on power looks to make it seem in line with the other two consoles (unless the footage was taken from other systems which would be odd) and given they are expected to last a year or two more that could make for an interesting future with regards to multi platform stuff.[/p]
The controller is really interesting even though it seems a bit bulky.
I am a bit disappointed that it is a resistive touch-screen display but I suppose that's necessary to keep the cost down. Personally, I love the aesthetics of the controller. The only thing that's bothering me is the placement of the analog nubs. They seem too high up on the controller. I do wonder how Nintendo supposedly managed to add streaming games and the ability to flick things back and forth without latency.

FAST6191 said:
Lego city stories
An open world lego game by the looks of things.

Darksiders 2
The sequel to the possibly somewhat underrated (it appeared at the end of a long line of them that was kicked off with bayonetta) action game Darksiders.[/p]
Not interested in either of those games.

FAST6191 said:
Tekken
Apparently is appearing here with customisable fighters if you like that sort of thing.

Batman Arkham city
A sequel to the surprisingly good batman tie in.[/p]
Tekken should be pretty good. I'm also interested in Batman.

FAST6191 said:
Assassin's creed
Something in the Assassin's creed series looked to be getting a fully fleshed game on the wii u[/p]
Hopefully, this is a full-fledged game and not just a spin-off.
Assuming the WiiU is powerful enough, the next game in the Assassin's Creed series should be across all three major platforms (360, PS3 and WiiU).

QUOTE(FAST6191 @ Jun 7 2011, 01:43 PM)
Ghost recon online
The online multiplayer game was mentioned in previous conferences and it seems there could be a version heading to the wii u.[/p]
Looks okay. Not too excited for it.

Metro- last night
A sequel/offshoot to the very atmospheric post apocalypse that caught more than a few people off guard when it appeared.[/p]
Really interested in this!

Finally (although it appeared earlier on in the actual presentation) the new smash brothers title is being developed simultaneously for the wii u and 3ds with talk of it being cross compatible in some fashion. This also makes it the first smash brothers title set to be portable as well[/p]
This should be awesome.
I'm glad that we're finally getting a Smash Bros game for a portable system. I'm sure the 3DS is perfectly capable of providing stunning gameplay and graphics alike. I do wish they elaborated on the cross-compatibility a bit more, though. It should be interesting.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
So let us sum up this years E3.

Konami start the E3 heat with some nice titles.

MS blow that heat away with their crap load of Kinect games and few great titles.

EA tries to recover from what MS had left behind.

Ubisoft same as ever. No hope.

Sony shed some light into E3 2011 with their PS Vita and start building the heat, leaving fans ecstatic

Nintendo jump into Sonys bandwagon steal the show with GREAT 3DS titles coming and the new Wii U.

Thus End E3 2011 with a huge bang. Nintendo ftw!
yay.gif

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
Nintendo had the best conference by far. Not as nostalgic as last year's, but they definitely showcased an incredible software line-up for the 3DS, as well as the WiiU.

My take on E3 2011:
Konami: C+; Pretty good conference. Nothing too interesting though.
Microsoft: D; Kinect this, Kinect that. I don't care, Microsoft. Slightly better than that treacherous conference last year.
EA: B; Nice showcase of upcoming games. Battlefield 3, Mass Effect 3.
Ubisoft: D; Assassin's Creed: Revelations saved Ubisoft from falling to an F.
Sony: B; Cool demos of upcoming titles. PlayStation Vita, as well as that killer price point. Pretty good job.
Nintendo: A; Stole the show, just like last year. Nice software showcase for 'struggling' 3DS. WiiU is an interesting concept.

InuYasha

Professional Coke Fiend
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Interesting to say the least but I seen nothing that made me want a 3ds or there new console,on the plus side atleast joker 2 was confirmed for US release but sadly it seems to be the non pro version...

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
I won't lie, I'm disappointed. The controller doesn't impress me, hell, I think Nintendo is really pushing the whole "look how innovative our controllers are!" thing. I enjoy my controllers sitting comfortably in my hand. This just looks like a big rectangle of annoying. The titles announced for it are far short of impressive, and just now being able to compete with the PS3 and 360 with the hardware is just sad.

The name is also ridiculous. Nintendo needs to stop making their systems just sound like little upgrades. You own the Wii, get the Wii U! Now with one extra letter! Yeah, shitty name is shitty. PS Vita may not be great, but even that beats the WiiU/Wii U/whatever.

The 3DS line up does look nice. I won't lie. They're heavily relying on their first party games to sell the console from what I'm seeing though. I want to see what the third party developers can really do.

Overall, I enjoyed what Sony had to offer the most out of the three. Nothing can fail as badly as the Microsoft conference though.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
I found Sony's the best.

Wow, I surprised myself by saying that.

I'm still not sure what handheld I'm going to get in the future (or if I'm going to be getting one at all), but I'm leaning heavily towards the Vita.

On another note, can they seriously think of better names? God, all the ones so far have horrible names. 3DS, PS Vita, and Wii U all sound like they just stuck a bunch of names on a dartboard. If the next XBOX is XBOX 1280 and the next PlayStation is PSZ, I will strangle someone.

The WiiU sounds interesting, I guess. Not that excited about it for some reason.

lolzed

The GBAtemp Pichu
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm quite disappointed with the controller. It's big, and the screen feels like it will be harder to play(looking up and down). They should use it like the touchscreen of the DS,for menu's and such. Hopefully they will...

Overall I think both Nintendo and Sony did best, but it goes to Nintendo showing off a brand new console
wink.gif

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
So is the WiiU backwards compatible? Because I want to play Wii games but never got around to it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: what are you currently playing?