GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Almost. The refresh rate is a bit slower on the GBA SP SE, so there's a bit more ghosting, but it's still an awesome screen.
smile.gif
I play all my GBA and GB games on my GBA SP SE

sti360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
they're pretty good when compared to each other
it looks sharper on the ds, but that's because the pixels are closer together

Destructobot

Crave the Hammer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I've heard when playing GBA games on a DS, some colors are not reproduced correctly. Anyone had this experience?
I think the issue is that the original GBA had a very dark screen which made the colors look less vivid, and the original SP front light made the colors look washed out even though it was brighter. To counter this a lot of GBA games have very bright saturated colors, and when you play those games on a DS lite they look very bright & fruity indeed.

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I don't know I had a GBA(not SP) with an afterburner light and it looked really washed out.
When I got my first DS(phat) I realized that the new SP SE had a far better screen, and I lost my sleep over that untill I decided to get one.
The GBA SP SE screen is so much better than the original DS, that for a while I went back to GBA gaming only.
Then I got a DSL, and I agree that the screens are a little bit sharper and the colours look somehow cleaner then on the GBA SP SE, but when playing in GBA mode I have those black bars around the screen and the image looks slightly smaller than on the SP, therefore I still use the SP for every GBA game(and also GB and GBcolor) and the DSL only for DS games.
I often think of the GBA SP SE as the defenitive gameboy machine, backwards compatible with every game,and I will use it forever when it comes to gameboy games.

BvG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
50289.png

From left to right: Game Boy Light (Japan only), GBA SP (first edition), Nintendo DS, Game Boy Micro, Nintendo DS Lite.

That's all my Nintendo handhelds with back- or frontlit screens. The only one I don't own is the GBA SP SE. I want to buy it when it's 50 euro's or so.

Dirtie

:'D
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Yeah I'd like to pick up a brighter edition SP as well - too bad they don't sell them here.

Anyone know a place I can import from for relatively cheap? So far my only option is ebay.

adgloride

Its A Wii Wario
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I was going to get the GBA SP with brighter light a few months ago. I got the gameboy micro instead. Seemed a waste of money to get one with a brighter light when I already had an SP. If I see a cheap SP second hand and in good condition, I'll get one.

spas

Trophies
XP
Country
I wanted a micro but I could not find one second hand and did not want to fork out £70 for one but then they went down to 55 after xmas

55 British pounds = 107.75600 U.S. dollars

So now I am getting very temped..

UK USERS ONLY
http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/97652

£55 micro free shipping

-KangaRod-

Trophies
Website
kangarod.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Canada
How can you tell the ones with the brighter screen apart from the ones with the old front lit screen?

I'm currently playing my GBA games on my Micro cause I don't like the front lit screen of my SP. Do they sell the SP SE in Japan?
I love mine, and its worth the money, but you could still probably find it cheaper if you wait, or shop on ebay.

Kliviwiki

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I wanted to get a GBA SP, but I was affraid the brighter screen would be like the fat DS one (you can't see very well when the lights are off, even with direct sunlight). Here´s my doubt: Does the brighter screen GBA consume more battery? I quickly tested one on a store, and it seemed like that even if you pressed the button to turn off the light, there still was a weaker light on. On the original SP, you could play normally diring the day with the lights off, and that's what I want to do, to save some battery life.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    a_username_that_isnt_cool @ a_username_that_isnt_cool: Good morning!