Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Blaze163 said:
Starting to wonder if there's a link between over-protective parents who deny the existence of homosexuality to their children and kids that grow up bi-curious or think that being bisexual is a fashion accessory.
Teenage rebellion?

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really don't care about gay identity politics. The same liberal politicians who want to make gay marriage legal have made it illegal for me to buy cheaper car insurance or health insurance across state lines thus protecting special interests while trampling on my rights as a human being. So if I can deal with my rights being accosted I'm sure the lesbians can deal with turning a shirt. I believe I have the bigger reason to bitch.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@PeregrinFig, I don't think I should. I am one of the people who thinks the UK needs a constitution and something like a bill of rights. Freedom of speech being the second most important thing we need from them. I do believe that freedom of speech also gives you a responsibility to just man up and take being offended by others exercising that same right. Also if a business is open to the public it is a sort of public place as well as private property. Again typing on the Wii but I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this.

D

Deleted_171835

Hadrian said:
SoulSnatcher said:
I don't find this appalling at all. Dollywood is a theme park primarily for kids and to some people, that shirt may be offensive.
OH NO DONT LET CHILDREN KNOW THERE ARE GAYS IN THE WORLD!
Not so much the fact that they're gay but that the word gay is offensive to some. In some places, it doesn't always refer to homosexuality but as a general derogatory term.

RPG_Lover

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
RPG_Lover said:
BTW - The Bible isn't anti-marriage. Please learn facts before making such a statement.
Please read the Bible before lying about it.
QUOTEIMO Marriage gets treated like a joke in society today (especially given the divorce statistics). That is what I find offensive. The concept of a life-long committed marital relationship seems foreign, and those that stay lovingly committed aren't always viewed with the respect and honor they deserve.

/end rant
These people only want the right to marry. They aren't trying to belittle it. What's the point in wearing a "i love my wife" t-shirt if they can only call each other "my partner".

I wasn't referring to just gay marriage when I said I think marriage is treated like a joke. Let's see it for what it is: society and the media has encouraged people that if their spouse doesn't make them happy anymore, to just leave and find someone else. The marriage commitment is often ridiculed instead of celebrated. It takes a lot of work to be married and have a happy relationship with one's spouse. Media loves to show how we go through the work to get the 1st date, build a relationship then pop the question and have the wedding, but it often stops leaving us thinking that the couple is in happily-ever-after land instead of dealing with real life. Marriage is, IMO, a wonderful thing. I'm happily married, and my wife and I work hard on our relationship. The commitment of marriage isn't something to be taken lightly (again, IMO) - yet the society that we live in thinks believes otherwise. If two lesbians wore the "love my wife" or two guys the "love my husbands" shirts - all power to them. I think the "marriage is gay" shirt is offensive - since the term "gay" is being used in a derogatory way (Thanks, Soulsnatcher for also pointing this idea out). It's not my place to judge their lifestyle. I have my opinion & beliefs, but so long as other opinions & beliefs aren't forced on me, I won't force mine. Live and let live, you know?
happy.gif

At the risk of getting way off topic and starting a flame war, If the Bible is anti-marriage, why does Paul offer instruction to wives and husbands (that often get taken out of context and abused by couples who use them to try and get their own way, but that's another topic for another time) (Colossians 3:18-20, Ephesians 5:22-33, 1 Corinthians 7)? Why did Jesus attend a wedding celebration and transform water into wine (his first miracle as John notes in Ch. 2:1-11) for the attendees? (Weddings in that day were often huge multiple day celebrations, hence why Jesus created between 120-180 gallons of wine) Why did God allow the child conceived out of wedlock by David and Bathsheba to die, but once Bathsheba became David's wife, they had Solomon - the wisest king of Israel? (2 Samuel 11, 12) (Note I'm using NIV for my references) Again - I'm not trying to start a fight/flame war - just a reasonable debate...
wink.gif

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RPG_Lover said:
I think the "marriage is gay" shirt is offensive - since the term "gay" is being used in a derogatory way

SoulSnatcher said:
Not so much the fact that they're gay but that the word gay is offensive to some. In some places, it doesn't always refer to homosexuality but as a general derogatory term.
So just because some people take gay the wrong way they shouldn't be allow to wear it? There is a lot of shirts that can be taken the wrong way,
such as when a girl wears a "Got milk?" shirt or "I'm with a dummy" shirt standing next to the wrong person. It clear that not what they are using the word gay for.

Shoot I wouldn't be surprise if it just said "GAY" and they would be mess with.

Veho said:
QUOTE(Blaze163 @ Jul 27 2011, 09:11 PM)
Lollywood sounds like something you get from watching dodgy anime...
I misread that as "doggy anime" and got some disturbing mental imagery going
wacko.gif
blink.gif
laugh.gif

Arfiol

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
dbproject.hostoi.com
XP
Country
I don't really know about this.
You have to remember that the couple were ASKED to turn the t-shirt inside out, not FORCED.
Still, not being able to wear a garment because SOME people MAY find it offensive is total crap to me. You should always be able to say and wear what you want, regardless of what others think. Moral and ethnics has nothing to do with the law.

steveo1978

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its nice to see so many people assume that the staff member that was offended was a heterosexual. Maybe, just maybe it was a gay person that saw the shirt and thought the shirt was using the word in a derogatory way.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
People would get upset over someone wearing a "Keep Marriage Straight" shirt, so no point in getting upset over people defending these hypocrites.

Hyro-Sama

I'm from the fucking future.
Trophies
XP
Country
Devante said:
People would get upset over someone wearing a "Keep Marriage Straight" shirt, so no point in getting upset over people defending these hypocrites.

I hope you are saying PEOPLE are hypocrites. Gay and Straight do not display hypocrisy more than the other. Both do it equally.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
let this thread die ffs, enough with controversial crap on a gaming forum

period

EDIT : gay or straight, black or white, muslim or jew or christian or whatnot, we'r all HUMANS, and hypocrites at times all equally

RoyalCardMan

DS App Studio™ Developer
Trophies
Website
www.awsomisoft.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, technically, by law, they had the right to do what they did. If you are employed by a company and in company property they tell you do something, you better do it or you will be kicked off.

Basically, what I am saying is if it is private property, than the couple should have done what they did, which was to reverse their shirts. Now, if it was public property, than it would have been wrong for the person to tell them to do so, but this was private property.

I am not saying it was morally right for the person to tell them do to what they were told to do, but I can't do anything about the law, so don't think I am morally wrong.

ShakeBunny

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As part of the LGBT community, I believe the women should not have been asked to turn her shirt at all. I went to Six Flags one year when I was little, and saw a ridiculous amount of people wearing /very/ offensive shirts full of dead bodies, blood, naked women, sex references, and alcohol references. If wearing any of those types of shirts is just fine in an amusement park, then wearing something that simply has the word 'gay' on it shouldn't be an issue at all.

I think it's ridiculous that it's 2011, and people still think as ass-backwards as they do.
Racism, Sexism, and Homophobia are for idiots who don't know how to accept people who are different.

That's all I have to say about that.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
penguindefender said:
As part of the LGBT community, I believe the women should not have been asked to turn her shirt at all. I went to Six Flags one year when I was little, and saw a ridiculous amount of people wearing /very/ offensive shirts full of dead bodies, blood, naked women, sex references, and alcohol references. If wearing any of those types of shirts is just fine in an amusement park, then wearing something that simply has the word 'gay' on it shouldn't be an issue at all.

I think it's ridiculous that it's 2011, and people still think as ass-backwards as they do.
Racism, Sexism, and Homophobia are for idiots who don't know how to accept people who are different.

That's all I have to say about that.
You do realize that as of 2011, acts of Homosexuality are still incredibly controversial in American society. Whether we deem it right or not, it is in their rights to ask the reversal of the shirt. As for the Six Flags comment, in the Texas park, I don't see any such shirts. Those naked women on those shirts are the kind in navy tatoos. They aren't naked, rather put in provocative poses. Dead bodies are also offensive to me. However, many metal heads and death metal enthusiasts will fight just as hard to wear such shirts as the LGBT community would. I also personally think sexual references and jokes are funny. Whether they make sense in a homosexual, or straight sense is a non issue. They are funny, and they don't hide any sort of meaning. The only people who complain about such shirts are soccer moms and other such conservative people. It is in their right to, and if no one complains, the shirts don't have to be reversed. The same situation goes for the event in the article.

Regardless of the consequences, the couple got the attention they wanted. Awareness comes not just from beneficial attention, but from consequential attention as well.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Float like a butterfly burns when I pee lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    So does that mean your date was not good? It burns now?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Got two new stds in one night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Giggity
    +1
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    I don't bite! Minus the times when I did bite
  • The Catboy @ The Catboy:
    Like 5 minutes ago
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Billie needs her lunch
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ffs papa brought back the cheeseburger pizza it's like the only decent pie they had since the 80s
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm not a fan of papa johns, but that does sound good. We hardly order out pizza, I like making my own, but when we do its donatoes
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I get them like once every two months anymore
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just because it's half a mile from where I live
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Request next time you order, that Shaq deliver it to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I want him to buy me a chain also
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Open it right next to the one we have
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys should i make a new thread and just count the amount of posts until kyle, luke or leo joins the thread for fun?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    kyle's fine, just waiting for that wario joke

luke and leo though, they yap until the thread's enjoyability is about halved
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Leo is Luke's alterego when he gets hard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Luke is gone, he got banned. And I'm surprised Leo hasn't yet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Subway was actually pretty decent tonight
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Wut you get, a seafood and psi salad sub
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Psi had my footlong meatball special
    +1
  • PandaPandel @ PandaPandel: