Gay couple asked to reverse shirt at Dollywood

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The irony here is that if society accepted gays more, this would be a non issue. One of the reasons you don't see straight men and women wearing such shirts is because it's the norm. However, they do indeed have the right to ask to reverse it. I can see why such a shirt would be offensive to many people. Saying marriage is gay is not only an affront, but also a statement. Regardless of the message it isn't going to be widey interpreted as a compliment now is it?

That being said political correctness is extremely silly. Though the worse thing is that everyone does it regardless of their own feelings about it.

koimayeul

Trophies
XP
Country
France
PeregrinFig said:
Why are people so up in arms about this anyway? As it's been stated, they clearly wore this shirt to flaunt their sexuality. As the place in question is a private business, they have the right to turn them away, like it or not. What differentiates this shirt from one that's the same manner but about heterosexuality is that homosexuality is still highly controversial in America, and they wore a shirt like this to a public, family-oriented environment, knowing it would be offensive to some. If you can't see a problem with this, then you have no right to tell others to avoid doing anything that might offend a homosexual. It works both ways, and just because they're in the minority doesn't mean they should be put on a pedestal.
smartest opinion on the matter i couldn't say it better.. thank you

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
PeregrinFig said:
Why are people so up in arms about this anyway? As it's been stated, they clearly wore this shirt to flaunt their sexuality. As the place in question is a private business, they have the right to turn them away, like it or not. What differentiates this shirt from one that's the same manner but about heterosexuality is that homosexuality is still highly controversial in America, and they wore a shirt like this to a public, family-oriented environment, knowing it would be offensive to some. If you can't see a problem with this, then you have no right to tell others to avoid doing anything that might offend a homosexual. It works both ways, and just because they're in the minority doesn't mean they should be put on a pedestal.

Wow... I was the one reading way into something, huh? I read the whole new report, nowhere did it say that they intended to offend anyone, and neither was there any evidence of anyone getting offended other than this one employee and this establishment's "policy" or whatever.

Also, they weren't "flaunting their sexuality". No, they just wanted to send the message that marriage should be an equal right to everyone, regardless of preferences.

coolness said:
machomuu said:
QUOTE(coolness @ Jul 27 2011, 01:42 PM) no not really but thats what is on my mind just watch out for them
and my father is also not a fan of gay people so maybe i have got that mind of him
smile.gif
This post sickens me. I hate people how let one incident affect their opinion of an entire group, but even more I hate people who can't break away from their parents' prejudices and create their own or expel them altogether and then afterwards actually have the gull to smile about it.

Wow. You expect people to take you with any kind of respect after you tell someone to F themselves. Oh, and that edit, real classy. Lovely touch, there.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami357 said:
PeregrinFig said:
Wow... I was the one reading way into something, huh? I read the whole new report, nowhere did it say that they intended to offend anyone, and neither was there any evidence of anyone getting offended other than this one employee and this establishment's "policy" or whatever.

Also, they weren't "flaunting their sexuality". No, they just wanted to send the message that marriage should be an equal right to everyone, regardless of preferences.
Of course it didn't say that they were intending to offend anyone, I doubt even they said that, or for that matter thought it, however I find it likely that they realized it was probable it would offend. Come on, the shirt said "Marriage is so gay.". There are many people that are wholly against gay marriage, and on top of this, recently "gay" has become a slang insult. Is it really illogical to assume you would run into people that would be offended by that shirt, at a family-oriented theme park of all places?

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Shinigami357: It is common sense. You don't have to read far into the matter to recognize that the shirt is a statement, insult and affront all in one. Like Perigrinfig says it is still very controversial to discuss, condone, and perform acts of homosexuality in the US. It's going to offend many, and the park will get bad rep, and lose business. This was their intent. Attention and consequences are perfect ways to attract awareness.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
prowler_ said:
coolness said:
im accepting gay people but it dont trust them becuase a friend of mine was ramped by a gay guy and never come over it
and now he is 17 and stil scared to go outsite :S
that why im not a fan of them
That's stupid.
Anyone could be a rapist.
Erm no, not women. They can kidnap, beat, and drug you and force you to have sex with them with a gun to your head, but they can't [censored] you.

Why do I suddenly get the uncontrollable urge to smack you in the head with a dictionary? The word applies to any unwanted sexual contact. She can shove a strap-on up your arse and if you haven't asked for it, the term applies.

And the reason why people are having trouble with your opinion on gay people you don't know is that your fear is baseless and unreasonable. You've been given no real reason to have any distrust of gay people you don't know. So why are they any different to straight people you don't know? It's that distinction which people take exception to, the way you're automatically suspicious of gay people simply because they're gay.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Periginfig, If someone wears anything that identifies them as Christian or Muslim should I be allowed to make them take it off? They are much more offensive about me than that t-shirt supporting marriage is to heterosexual people. The only people who could be offended by that are bigots.

@blaze, not under UK law. I was talking to another Brit there.

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wait, so basically the lesson of the day is: "As long as the majority of suburban Americans can feel good about themselves and not be offended by anything that they themselves turned into a huge issue in the first place, it is alright to discriminate against minorities whether they intended to do any harm or not."

God Bless America, then.

And with that [and my two yet-upright middle fingers], I'm done.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami357 said:
Wait, so basically the lesson of the day is: "As long as the majority of suburban Americans can feel good about themselves and not be offended by anything that they themselves turned into a huge issue in the first place, it is alright to discriminate against minorities whether they intended to do any harm or not."

God Bless America, then.

I get the feeling that there is some hypocritical discrimination here. In the US majority rules, and every such private businesses have the right to refuse and ask customers to leave. It's just and proper for owners to be able to regulate things that make their customers uncomfortable or angry. Don't lump bigots into one group and call them Americans. Doing so is stereotypical and makes you just as bad as the people you're flipping the virtual birds to.

PeregrinFig

A miserable little pile of secrets
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
cwstjdenobs said:
@Periginfig, If someone wears anything that identifies them as Christian or Muslim should I be allowed to make them take it off? They are much more offensive about me than that t-shirt supporting marriage is to heterosexual people. The only people who could be offended by that are bigots.

@blaze, not under UK law. I was talking to another Brit there.
If they're on your private business's property, of course you could. You'd probably be in the center of a media frenzy though. If you're reading this as me personally being a bigot and offended by this shirt, that wasn't my point at all. The shirt doesn't really bother me. What I'm saying is that the business does have the right to send them away, regardless of whether I would do the same in their position.

Shinigami357

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Technically I wasn't talking about the establishment as much as I was the people defending them on every turn. Obviously a corporation of any size caters to the majority, and as such, their policies are always what is more appealing to the masses, which in this case, happens to be American. If this happened elsewhere, I'd flip them the bird, too, believe me.

PS
@Sterling - seems Jellicent is at it again. LOL

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, sorry. Messed up there. First paragraph a direct response to the quote, second part aimed at Coolness. Actually I misread your username, cwstjdenobs. Which given that it looks like your cat rolled over your keyboard to come up with it is hardly surprising
tongue.gif
. I saw the C and thought you were Coolness. No offence intended.

Why is homosexuality still an issue in this day and age? I thought by now we'd have evolved beyond hating anything slightly different to the 'social norm'. The fact that stuff like this still happens makes me just that little bit ashamed to be human. This isn't the Dark Ages where gay people were burned at the stake for witchcraft or something, but I'm struggling to see where any significant changes in the thought process have occurred.

I draw your attention to this interview, and to be more specific, 1 minute 30 seconds in. In which religious types hate on Life of Brian for it being 'blasphemous'. I think John Cleese's point made at the 1:30 time stamp pretty much sums up my point, really.

[youtube]Fx6w6cCWHHc[/youtube]

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Blaze163 said:
BlueStar said:
Just to check, telling someone to remove a t-shirt in case it offends someone of a certain religion or whatever - this is an example of political correctness, yeah?

Ah, political correctness. Two words that should never be seen together. Like 'fun run'.

And yes, this is supposed to be a 'political correctness gone mad' story. Political correctness is bollocks anyway because it inevitably creates a heirarchy, thus defeating the purpose of the entire endeavour.

My point is I imagine if it was a "You can't wear that in here, it might offend muslims/gays/mexicans/whatever" story rather than "You can't wear that in here, it might offend heterosexuals/christians/social conservatives" story then we'd be seeing the words "political correctness" a hell of a lot in this thread.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shinigami357 said:

God Bless America, then.

Can we please not attack America today? It riles me up deep down, not enough to do a rage post because I don't care enough nor do I have anything to rage about, but still...

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SoulSnatcher said:
I don't find this appalling at all. Dollywood is a theme park primarily for kids and to some people, that shirt may be offensive.
OH NO DONT LET CHILDREN KNOW THERE ARE GAYS IN THE WORLD!

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
SoulSnatcher said:
I don't find this appalling at all. Dollywood is a theme park primarily for kids and to some people, that shirt may be offensive.
I know right? I don't see why people try to shield their children from reality. I mean shielding them from sex until they're older is one thing, but it's just "guys who like guys and girls who like girls" that's how you'd explain it to a child, boom, done.

Well actually, I can see some repercussions of just presenting it to them, but if they ask their parents, that's all they need to tell them, really.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PeregrinFig said:
I won't doubt if it was "Marriage is so straight" they wouldn't have been mess with.

I didn't even find that shirt offensive.

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
machomuu said:
Hadrian said:
SoulSnatcher said:
I know right? I don't see why people try to shield their children from reality. I mean shielding them from sex until they're older is one thing, but it's just "guys who like guys and girls who like girls" that's how you'd explain it to a child, boom, done.

Well actually, I can see some repercussions of just presenting it to them, but if they ask their parents, that's all they need to tell them, really.

Starting to wonder if there's a link between over-protective parents who deny the existance of homosexuality to their children and kids that grow up bi-curious or think that being bisexual is a fashion accessory. Might be worth a study.

Parents need to stop being so paranoid about everything if you ask me. It's their job to teach their kids about the world, not the select bits of the world they personally agree with.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill