Gay couple asked to reverse shirt at Dollywood

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by lex luthor, Jul 27, 2011.

1. lex luthor
    OP

lex luthor GBAtemp Regular

Sep 9, 2010
    United States
    NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A lesbian couple is asking for changes at Dollywood after an employee asked one of the women to turn her T-shirt reading "marriage is so gay" inside-out to avoid offending others on a recent visit to the Tennessee theme park complex.

Olivier Odom and Jennifer Tipton said Tuesday they want the park to be more inclusive of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender families after Odom was asked to reverse her shirt when they visited Dollywood Splash Country next to the Pigeon Forge amusement park. The story was first reported by WBIR-TV in Knoxville.

Source

2. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Jan 6, 2011
    Canada,New Jersey
    This is the most valuable news in the world.

3. Shinigami357

Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Jul 29, 2010
    Ugh. Just... ugh.

PS
    [horrible joke]They should have called Superman, right, OP?[/horrible joke]

4. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Kneel before the Queen

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Well that's not cool

5. Paarish

Paarish Connor's Nublet

Aug 26, 2009
    Married to DinohScene
    *senses a potential gay marriage thread*

*runs away like mad*

6. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    I don't find this appalling at all. Dollywood is a theme park primarily for kids and to some people, that shirt may be offensive.

7. Terminator02

Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere near monkat
    i don't see why gay people attacking straight people should be ok when the other way around isn't

8. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 10, 2006
    UK
    Huh? Who's being 'attacked' by gay people?

9. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    A guy wearing this shirt was barred from boarding a plane, and was almost arrested, because the shirt "scared people." So yeah, it happens.

10. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    homophobic values?

11. cwstjdenobs

cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

Mar 10, 2009
    Ankh-Morpork
    Dolly herself is a big LGBT rights supporter, hopefully this will make her screen the bigots out of her staff. I mean come on, it's Dollywood.

And TBH even if it was that bad they should have turned them away at the gates instead of deciding it was offensive after happily taking the couples money.

12. Shinigami357

Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Jul 29, 2010
    Wait just one goddamned minute. How is this offensive in any way at all? People can QQ and rage and troll as much as they wish but unless there's any other indication, the term "gay" can mean "happy". Just in case everyone forgot the English language. Gee.

13. Jamstruth

Jamstruth Secondary Feline Anthropomorph

Apr 23, 2009
    North East Scotland
    Gay is often used as a derogatory statement. That's really the ony thing offensive about it.

This decision had nothing to do with the couple's sexual orientation and everything to do with the shirt. I know its not THAT offensive but the staff took the decision to ask her to reverse it just in case. Its a dumb decision but its not an anti-gay thing.

14. dickfour

dickfour Banned

Banned
    Jun 20, 2011
    United States
    it's a private business. If they don't want people advertising their sexually to children they have that right. If that gays have a problem with that then go to Disney World on one of it's gay days.

15. Narayan

Narayan desu~

Sep 29, 2010
    [​IMG] that...scared people?

on-topic: i agree that the shirt not be worn in that kind of place. because there are some who might be offended, it depends on the people who read it. some may think that it's offending those who are married. and may cause a ruckus.
    though the reader may lacked understanding, the management have to prevent such events at a place where you have fun with your families.

16. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 10, 2006
    UK
    Does this count both ways? Like, if a guy had a shirt saying "I love my wife" is he advertising his heterosexuality to children?

17. cwstjdenobs

cwstjdenobs Sodomy non sapiens

Mar 10, 2009
    Ankh-Morpork
    It's Dollywood!!! Expecting not to come across anything gay is like a gay person expecting to not be offended at a talk at a Church or Mosque about teh gays.

And I bet you anything the owner of this particular private business will cone out against this decision.

18. Lily

Lily One Scary Lady

Former Staff
    Jun 18, 2004
    Canada
    British Columbia
    In the next year or so, I hope to be able to go -- apparently it's an amazing time! Disney World staff are accepting of anyone on a regular basis (I know this from my trip there a few years ago), but with the park filled with LGBT? Whoo!

19. Terminator02

Terminator02 ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ

Apr 10, 2010
    United States
    Somewhere near monkat
    the shirt didn't say i love my partner, it attacked heterosexuality

20. BlueStar

BlueStar GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 10, 2006
    UK
    Don't be ridiculous, you have to have a serious victim complex to think that shirt "attacked" heterosexuality.