Gay couple asked to reverse shirt at Dollywood

lex luthor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A lesbian couple is asking for changes at Dollywood after an employee asked one of the women to turn her T-shirt reading "marriage is so gay" inside-out to avoid offending others on a recent visit to the Tennessee theme park complex.

Olivier Odom and Jennifer Tipton said Tuesday they want the park to be more inclusive of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender families after Odom was asked to reverse her shirt when they visited Dollywood Splash Country next to the Pigeon Forge amusement park. The story was first reported by WBIR-TV in Knoxville.

Source

D

Deleted_171835

I don't find this appalling at all. Dollywood is a theme park primarily for kids and to some people, that shirt may be offensive.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
SoulSnatcher said:
I don't find this appalling at all. Dollywood is a theme park primarily for kids and to some people, that shirt may be offensive.

What on earth is offensive about the shirt?
huh.gif

QUOTE(Terminator02 @ Jul 27 2011, 03:34 PM) i don't see why gay people attacking straight people should be ok when the other way around isn't

Huh? Who's being 'attacked' by gay people?

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
A guy wearing this shirt was barred from boarding a plane, and was almost arrested, because the shirt "scared people." So yeah, it happens.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
BlueStar said:
SoulSnatcher said:

huh.gif

QUOTE(Terminator02 @ Jul 27 2011, 03:34 PM) i don't see why gay people attacking straight people should be ok when the other way around isn't

Huh? Who's being 'attacked' by gay people?

homophobic values?

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Dolly herself is a big LGBT rights supporter, hopefully this will make her screen the bigots out of her staff. I mean come on, it's Dollywood.

And TBH even if it was that bad they should have turned them away at the gates instead of deciding it was offensive after happily taking the couples money.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wait just one goddamned minute. How is this offensive in any way at all? People can QQ and rage and troll as much as they wish but unless there's any other indication, the term "gay" can mean "happy". Just in case everyone forgot the English language. Gee.

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
BlueStar said:
SoulSnatcher said:

huh.gif
Gay is often used as a derogatory statement. That's really the ony thing offensive about it.

This decision had nothing to do with the couple's sexual orientation and everything to do with the shirt. I know its not THAT offensive but the staff took the decision to ask her to reverse it just in case. Its a dumb decision but its not an anti-gay thing.

dickfour

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's a private business. If they don't want people advertising their sexually to children they have that right. If that gays have a problem with that then go to Disney World on one of it's gay days.

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
Veho said:
A guy wearing this shirt was barred from boarding a plane, and was almost arrested, because the shirt "scared people." So yeah, it happens.
wtf.gif
that...scared people?

on-topic: i agree that the shirt not be worn in that kind of place. because there are some who might be offended, it depends on the people who read it. some may think that it's offending those who are married. and may cause a ruckus.
though the reader may lacked understanding, the management have to prevent such events at a place where you have fun with your families.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
dickfour said:
it's a private business. If they don't want people advertising their sexually to children they have that right.

Does this count both ways? Like, if a guy had a shirt saying "I love my wife" is he advertising his heterosexuality to children?

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
dickfour said:
it's a private business. If they don't want people advertising their sexually to children they have that right. If that gays have a problem with that then go to Disney World on one of it's gay days.

It's Dollywood!!! Expecting not to come across anything gay is like a gay person expecting to not be offended at a talk at a Church or Mosque about teh gays.

And I bet you anything the owner of this particular private business will cone out against this decision.

Lily

One Scary Lady
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
dickfour said:
go to Disney World on one of it's gay days.

In the next year or so, I hope to be able to go -- apparently it's an amazing time! Disney World staff are accepting of anyone on a regular basis (I know this from my trip there a few years ago), but with the park filled with LGBT? Whoo!

Terminator02

ヽ( 。 ヮ゚)ノ
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BlueStar said:
dickfour said:
it's a private business. If they don't want people advertising their sexually to children they have that right.

Does this count both ways? Like, if a guy had a shirt saying "I love my wife" is he advertising his heterosexuality to children?
the shirt didn't say i love my partner, it attacked heterosexuality

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Terminator02 said:
BlueStar said:
dickfour said:

the shirt didn't say i love my partner, it attacked heterosexuality

Don't be ridiculous, you have to have a serious victim complex to think that shirt "attacked" heterosexuality.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol