Hacking Gateway v2.0 Part 2: NAND Emulation

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Woah, wait? Eshop access on 4.5?

No, basically you are mirroring your nand to sd card, gateway mode booting to it then updating it, from the looks of it, it has online as needs it to update and eshop, since they are booting to the emunand they obviously have full control, meaning via emulation they can patch in stuff, they dont need an entry point as they are already in, But hopefully there end goal is to have latest firmware having all the patches ported and applied for full rom support via the emunand, possibly even allowing retail cartridges.. Although means dont need actual gateway for that feature..

In the vid, Monster Hunter would have just been running in 4.5, not emunand, they would have added to launcher whats needed for the AP patch

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Really Regretting what i did on the day one of receiving my 3ds

-Unboxed. Really liking it
-Goes to set up wifi and stuffs
-Proceed to press the update menu, thinking i will get some stuffs
-Currently on 4.5
-Updated to 6.2

Regretting all this now
I don't see what's wrong with unboxing or really liking it.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
By "eShop backups," would this mean a legitimately purchased full 3DS game from the eShop (e.g. Pokémon X/Y)? If so, then I don't think I understand how encryption would affect the emuNAND's ability to run that game, if the emuNAND is basically made to be the "console" that purchased that game, so it should theoretically run without issues.

Maybe there's something I'm missing, but I was under the impression of is that the emuNAND is a 3DS inside of your 3DS (so to speak), and if you wanna update your emuNAND to 6.3, then it should be possible to buy full games from the eShop and play them, as long as your emuNAND remains intact.

No...I mean the people who want the ability to run pirated eShop content (for free) on their 3DS....I think being able to use Gateway and have the option for newer firmware with eShop is swell....my point is getting to where we can run eShop on CFW is a long way off if ever....they never did it on DSi.

TakuyaZack

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
No, basically you are mirroring your nand to sd card, gateway mode booting to it then updating it, from the looks of it, it has online as needs it to update and eshop, since they are booting to the emunand they obviously have full control, meaning via emulation they can patch in stuff, they dont need an entry point as they are already in, But hopefully there end goal is to have latest firmware having all the patches ported and applied for full rom support via the emunand, possibly even allowing retail cartridges.. Although means dont need actual gateway for that feature..

In the vid, Monster Hunter would have just been running in 4.5, not emunand, they would have added to launcher whats needed for the AP patch

In the vid ( i rewatched it 4 times) the guy(?) pressed the ds profile thingy on 4.5 pressed boot gateway mode and monster hunter is working. and he proceed to go to eshop, then he pressed settings and show its 6.3

99% he is running the gateway in 6.3, but require 4.5 to launch it

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
No...I mean the people who want the ability to run pirated eShop content (for free) on their 3DS....I think being able to use Gateway and have the option for newer firmware with eShop is swell....my point is getting to where we can run eShop on CFW is a long way off if ever....they never did it on DSi.

Maybe we can't decrypt and share eShop downloaded games through the internet, but how about tricking the system transfer with multiple back ups between your friends?

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm curious to see what the heck they are saying about "use SD format tool". My SD card currently has MK7 on it, and I really don't wanna use a new one for GW 2.0. I have GW save games in there, but I think for those ones I can copy them over.

You shoudl be able to backup your purchased content, run the emunad formater toold do the update and then copy it back over. 3DS software is signed by system ID so backing up and restoring your content would be no different than copying it to a bigger SD card as long as it is used on your system. Because the EMUnand is created from a backup of your system's nand all should be well. Also if you can get on eShop with the updated emuNand you can redownload all your eShop content as I has to do that with a few of my full sized game purchases when I used the transfer tool.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe we can't decrypt and share eShop downloaded games through the internet, but how about tricking the system transfer with multiple back ups between your friends?

I am not sure this would work either......when you do the transfer both systems have to have online access. I am pretty sure when you do the transfer the registrered system's ID changes in Nintendo's database....not sure if it would de-activate the restored software if you ever took the transfer host back online or not....would be fun to try...

I have done some very interesting things with PSN software games that are edat signed and not .rap signed (look into it if you care to). I basically setup a CFW PS3 with over 100 PSN games and like 100 ps1 and minis and then transferred them to an OFW machine. The unlockable PSN demos that use edats files to unlock the game transfer over and do not have to be re-signed by a PSN login/authentication. A lot of good PSN games continue to use this signing method and it suprised me that Sony didn't bother to tell developers to use only .rap/.rif (which have to be re-authenticated to the purchasing account after transfer) signing after this trick was discovered. I totally made a few of my friends/family xmas last year by transfering a couple thousand dollars worth of PSN content to their OFW PS3s. Yeah I am that nice of a guy :P

Any way you slice it this emuNand is a CFW because they are allowing you to use a newer firmware but keep the kernel exploits of 4.5. Seeing that the emuNand shouldn't exclusively need the gateway hardware to operate (they may find a way to use the gateway hardware as a dongle/lock) other scene devs should be able to take the emunand and run with it if they so desire......The problem is the 'open' source guys have really shrunk up lately (since the persecution of GeoHot) and no one want to invest the time and energy without financial motivation and chance getting in a pissing match with a giant like Sony or Nintendo. It also doesn't help that the potential user base is locked at 4.5 at the moment....honestly if I was one of these Gateway distributors I would be trying like hell to snatch up all the retail 4.5 3DS I could find so that you could sell them to potential Gateway customers....

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well if you're on the west coast there might be a better site, as MCC is Ontario based.

True but MCC is very reputable and for the east coast and midwest they are fast.....I live about 4 hours from Detriot and I think I got my gateway in like 2 days with their cheap/free shipping option. I have used them in the past and they have always stood behind their products and I have never had a bad flash card modchip or shipping/billing problem. I highly recommend them to any US/Canadian buyers.....end of free advertisement for MCC B-)

Reactions: Eyesenish

user64

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its the Updating part xD

I wish i knew more about 3ds sooner
I'm just using my DSTWO for now, waiting for something cheaper/better. Plenty of DS/GBA/SNES/NES games anyways. I just personally don't feel like dropping 100$ on a flashcard that can only load on a lower firmware than mine. However, early adopters are important, if people don't create a market for 3DS flashcards then there will be no 3DS flashcards.

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So am i be able to use this on 6.3 directly??

Sadly no....I feel like this emu nand is starting the PS3 CFW question cycle again....after CFW 4.x came out everyone kept coming in and saying can I use this on my OFW 4.x machine....no no and uh no!

This emuNand is a sort of shadow firmware that loads a 6.x firmware ontop of a 4.5 firmware.....To all the 5.x/6.x users hang in there...Gateway has a lot of incentive to bring their product to newer firmware users and my guess is they are combing thru the newer firmwares trying like hell to find a kernel exploit....will they every do it who knows but as their sales slow down from a lack of new/potential customers they will probably put more effort to finding a solution....also working with bringing their patches to 6.3 and the emuNand will give them more knowledge of the newer firmwares structure...heres hoping as I certainly would like to see more people able to join the party.

bghjkl

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
will i be able to use my 4.5 xl to play pokemon on a retail cart with this update? the video has a lot of cuts and isn't clear on what it's doing but I saw at one point the firmware was 6.3.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    yesssssssssssssssssssssss
    bj bj bj bj bj bj
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Just duct tape the TV to the wall ffs
    +2
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Weird cause its same size as old one, just a 4k upgrade, oh well, always something.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Unlike @AncientBoi some holes are tighter than the others
    +2
    Try putting it up after a couple of :grog::grog::grog::grog::grog::grog::grog: But only a couple :D
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Was gonna, already cracked open a cold one, but gonna have to wait now, and make a trip to Microcenter, or worst buy
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    In speaking of miscares for tvs I must've busted like one hdmi port cause it's all static but others work fine lol
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I have a older tv that was like that, luckily it had 3 HDMI ins
    2 here
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    But you only like to use the rear one, right
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Think if I rebend the metal it'll be fine because it tries to get a signal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @AncientBoi, only fits type c out
    +1
    HDMI 1 [main TV] is loose, HDMI 2 [goes to second TV] is good.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Look into a hdmi splitter
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or most surround sound receivers are 3 HDMI in, one HDMI out to tv, and you can select which hdmi in
    you want on the receiver.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Surround sound receiver is a good $300
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    True, but so nice for gaming, movies.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Ancientboi is old he needs Walmart PA system
    +2
    Splitter @ $39 it says. I'll consider it. Thanks
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: