Hacking Gateway update regarding rumors

frown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
that is completely true.

But don't forget that the cloners already changed the code (also the code which is checking if the launcher is genuine). So maybe they altered that bricking code also somehow (accidently).
And the fact that a few people on the internet are saying it is random doesn't mean it is true right away. I don't know that much about coding, but the only thin i see are a few strange bytes, and if those people can see the bricking process that easily then why didn't the cloners see it

they didn't expect it, that is why they put in that code hahaha

Is rendering random clone users' consoles irreparably bricked something to laugh about though?
The only thing I find funny here is people defending it, and even that is starting to lose its humor... :/

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Until someone creates an open source launcher, it doesn't matter what Gateway did or did not do.

At the end of the day, Gateway is currently the only product that works with regular updates. Gateway users want Gateway to makes sales so they'd have the incentive to create updates. Clone users want updates which they aren't entitled to have if the source is from Gateway.

If the clones can't release new firmwares then their users should stay on a version that works. Everyone's just looking out for their own self-interest.

But there is a difference between looking out for your own interests by, for instance, selling a car that will not start if certain unauthorized modifications are made and selling a car that will cause a fiery explosion if improper modifications are made.

Legitimate companies are not going to put in anti-piracy measures that deliberately destroy peoples' property. They are going to put in measures that cause the software to stop functioning, the game to lock up and delete save data, a warning message to appear, et cetera.

This would be the equivalent to Windows deleting all the data saved on your hard drive and trying to damage your CPU and GPU by slowing down the fans and cranking up the heat if it fails some verification measures. They would never do that because their company would be civilly and perhaps criminally liable for the damage.

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Is rendering random clone users' consoles irreparably bricked something to laugh about though?
The only thing I find funny here is people defending it, and even that is starting to lose its humor... :/
the way people are responding is sometimes quite funny yeah.
Not to be a duck but a lot of people seems to forget that R4 released the bricking code and not Gateway, 1 or 2 persons put a code on the internet with the string "random" in it, they say they took it out of the gateway launcher (while i can't find it in the gateway launcher) and everybody is buying it.

Again it is a duck move, but dude it a luxury product. Ok people spare for it (also do I) and it is expensive and some people got really screwed (like the same people screwing the developers of games with the flashcards....) with this. But if they really, really really cared about it they would have followed nintedo's advice that "unauthorised software can damage the console".

jcipher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Kinda pointless to expect illegitimate companies from acting civilly. You don't expect drug cartels to play fairly with their competitors.

Even if everyone boycotts Gateway, there will be no new updates until a new player comes in. It doesn't affect the clone's ability to release new features since they expect a free lunch from Gateway.

frown

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the way people are responding is sometimes quite funny yeah.
Not to be a duck but a lot of people seems to forget that R4 released the bricking code and not Gateway, 1 or 2 persons put a code on the internet with the string "random" in it, they say they took it out of the gateway launcher (while i can't find it in the gateway launcher) and everybody is buying it.

Again it is a duck move, but dude it a luxury product. Ok people spare for it (also do I) and it is expensive and some people got really screwed (like the same people screwing the developers of games with the flashcards....) with this. But if they really, really really cared about it they would have followed nintedo's advice that "unauthorised software can damage the console".

R4 did not release the bricking code. They simply copied it and unwittingly fell victim to it.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
And the fact that a few people on the internet are saying it is random doesn't mean it is true right away. I don't know that much about coding, but the only thin i see are a few strange bytes, and if those people can see the bricking process that easily then why didn't the cloners see it
They can't see it that easily. Some people got suspicious after all the simultaneous clone bricks, so they decided to look through the launcher for bricking code. They were actively looking for it, and even then it took quite some time to find it. It's not that easy to discover something like that.

Reactions: NEP and McHaggis

the avenger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
can't say i get what's all the fuss about,did a gateway flashcart that uses the instructed firmware brick a console?no,then it's not gateways problem.
i mean even assuming they would even bother putting that code in their original firmware(god knows why,r4 just probably missed up removing what little drm there is on a gateway launcher) there's nothing wrong as long as a console didn't brick from it using their hardware and software,got bricked on a r4i,you are basically either admitting u bought a 100% clone that doesn't even do it's job properly and might even screw up removing what little DRM there is on a gateway and are blaming gateway whom u did not even come close to which is pretty much nonsense no matter how you look at it,or you were using some unknown launcher on a gateway cart which they have been telling you not to do

the avenger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From what I've read, there actually have been a few reports of legitimate users getting their consoles bricked as well.
well that makes an entirely different case if it was true,but really there isn't anything to prove that legitimate users using the correct firmware are getting bricked since usually most such reports come from users with 1 post and users that if u search their posts you will find every single comment they say is hating on gateway,plus the fact that gateway managed to make the flashcart proves that they aren't likely to make something with a good chance to brick their own customers

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
...since usually most such reports come from users with 1 post and users that if u search their posts you will find every single comment they say is hating on gateway

Same deal with the reports of R4i and other clone users getting their consoles bricked, they all are either lurkers with less than 30 posts, or new members.

Either way, they shouldn't have taken this type of action in this case, the ethics of a company that is willing to do something like this must be very off-wack and untrustworthy.

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
R4 did not release the bricking code. They simply copied it and unwittingly fell victim to it.
they did.
- R4team put a file online which was bricking the 3ds's.
- The file gateway put online didn't brick the 3ds if the file was used in the right way like it was supposed to)

R4team said the weren't cloners and they were developing their own software, so gateway can't held be responsible for the things the r4 software does. (ok theoretically they can, but it is the responsibility of the r4 team, they toke the money so they have to figure out their own stuff what they are selling).

I am not defending gateway, but i am only saying that in the end, this is the responsibility of R4.
If i gonna make false money and i get caught, i can't blame the bank for making it to hard to copy their money. I decided to try to copy something where we all knew that they would try to prevent it

They can't see it that easily. Some people got suspicious after all the simultaneous clone bricks, so they decided to look through the launcher for bricking code. They were actively looking for it, and even then it took quite some time to find it. It's not that easy to discover something like that.
granted, that is true, my mistake. And I agree that it isn't easy, in fact i can't read that code at all

the avenger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Same deal with the reports of R4i and other clone users getting their consoles bricked, they all are either lurkers with less than 30 posts, or new members.

Either way, they shouldn't have taken this type of action in this case, the ethics of a company that is willing to do something like this must be very off-wack and untrustworthy.
granted but in this case the code for bricking is really worthless quoting shamelessly from someone is the following:
The original gateway launcher has a sanity check which verifies Launcher.dat, if it has been corrupted or changed it will not pass the sanity check and fail safe stopping the boot process before any of the ARM9 code can be run.

Clone cards disabled this sanity check so they could run their modified GW Launchers, which is the reason clone cards can get bricked.

It has already been tested by multiple users that if you modify Launcher.dat by even just 1 byte the sanity check will stop loading the launcher and safely reboot your 3DS brick free.

TL;DR You have almost zero chance of getting bricked if you use Gateways official launcher.
in the case of the sanity check performed by gateway the code is practically none existent but when some guy comes and messes with how the code works you can't expect the gateway team to just make sure no one bricks their device just because some clones remove the checks gateway makes

badbob001

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
granted, that is true, my mistake. And I agree that it isn't easy, in fact i can't read that code at all
What code? You mean that post a page or two back of the Intel assembly code that someone found using Google Image search?

I wonder if it is possible that Gateway left some experimental code in their beta firmware for writing the firmware back and had it disabled. But then the clones accidentally re-enabled it. I suspect the multirom code used by MT was based on hidden and experimental multirom code in early Gateway versions. In apps and games, the developments often leave unused code in the released product because it would involve too much testing and effort to remove it.

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

You mean a company which makes every attempt to operate anonymously out of a third world country and has no qualms about the fact that the only real viable use of their product is intellectual property theft of software that is being actively marketed and sold might not deal with its customers and its competition in an ethical and legal manner?

Reactions: NEP and Huntereb

the avenger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aaand i am going out of the discussion now to get my popcorn it's ready
dis-gon-b-gud.gif

Reactions: ground

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
you can spin it anyway you want it still will stop with the mere fact that GW included code , that they wrote with the specific intention to corrupt a persons console. The only intention that can have is to brick consoles.. wether a user is at fault for running it is bullshit .. the codes there with the sole purpose to Brick a Console. That is not how you win hearts and minds.. Brick the card ffs.

Edit : would it be possible for them to brick the "clone" cards as opposed to Consoles ?

Reactions: Huntereb

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?