Hacking Gateway update regarding rumors

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
They posted an update to their homepage that they weren't going to post an update on their homepage about posting an update on their homepage?

MrOldboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So Is everyone convinced that 2.0b1 is completely void of the brick code. I've only see a few people that have said they are scared of even using 2.0b1. Has it been thoroughly looked at yet to see if they have any related code?

Cyberdrive

Trophies
XP
Country
Serbia, Republic of
So Is everyone convinced that 2.0b1 is completely void of the brick code. I've only see a few people that have said they are scared of even using 2.0b1. Has it been thoroughly looked at yet to see if they have any related code?
http://gbatemp.net/threads/warning-gateway-team-bricks-card-on-purpose.360568/page-16#post-4884265
That's as much as we have at the moment.

While it doesn't mean that bricking code occurs only once in b2, its addition in b2 likely means that it does not exist anywhere in b1.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP
The seccond thread that I see in less than 5 minutes with the same aggressive tone against user reported issues.

We can confirm that NO Gateway user had any issue with their console or their
Gateway card. And this will remain the same in the future, thanks to our team
hard work on proper testing and quality manufacturing.

As far as I know, nobody can confirm that already, not even Gateway team. The fact is the bricking may be so easy that anyone (eg. Nintendo, hackers, crackers) can spread defective files and brick pirates all around the world. At least we know that gateway has no protection agains this kind of atack, and this kind of atack happened a lot on DS era.

We do not answer rumors, speculations and other tactics from people who are not
even real competitors but simply companies stealing our hard work.

the joke of the day, "steal hard work" is your profession, you are selling a piracy device.

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Please stop spreading the myth of Neimod, the anti-piracy paragon of virtue. He catalyzed 3DS piracy virtually entirely on his own. I know it's not a popular thing to say on these forums, but it happens to be true.

Some would claim the same of someone such as Geohot (even though I'm of the firm belief that what he did was completely brilliant due to the employment opportunities he landed after the fallout). If you can provide me confirmed, legit, information of him purposely catalyzing the growth of piracy on the 3DS, I'll gladly retract any defense of him being against piracy.

However, I still honestly believe he does have a passion for what he does, it's pretty apparent when you look at all he's done regarding the 3DS; a person just doesn't go into that type of stuff with dominant thoughts of making a profit, the first reason is almost always for the thrill, the learning experience, for fun. Also, given he contributes a metric fuck-ton to the 3DS scene, it's inevitable that his work will eventually be built upon to further the growth of piracy on the 3DS; that being said, it doesn't mean he's intentionally "catalyzing" the development of methods to pirate games on the 3DS.

Note: I do realize you didn't differentiate between intentionally or otherwise, but I'm inclined, like many others, to side with him if he's not doing what he does to cause piracy. Now researching a console and documenting how it works and finding exploits for an eventual epic homebrew environment WILL have negative side-effects, but I believe the pros definitely out-weigh the cons on this matter.

Reactions: NEP and Arras

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you can provide me confirmed, legit, information of him purposely catalyzing the growth of piracy on the 3DS, I'll gladly retract any defense of him being against piracy.

Good chance he was dumping roms for Legacy.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/neimod-may-be-a-legacy-member.352895/page-2

TL: DR

Legacy including a picture of the dumping setup, dumping setup looks exactly like Neimod's one on his photostream. Shortly after someone makes the connection, neimod removes/makes private those pictures.

Monkey ball cart also appears to have an imperfection/mark on the label, same imperfection/mark in a shot of monkey ball on neimod's stream.

Dumping roms could be argued as catalyzing the piracy scene. Dumping them for analysis, can be argued research. Handing them over/your dumping setup to a scene group, well, not so much anti-piracy.

Mod close it, because you shouldn't point out that someone who is anti-piracy, was apparently dumping roms.

Reactions: justinkb
D

Deleted User

Respected devs like Mathieulh said the 2.0b1 version did not have this brick code. If you don't want to believe them then who else can you believe?

All the past days this forum has had nothing more than spread FUD: fear uncertainty and doubt.

We need more threads with actual facts and if a mod sees a post with speculation then it should get edited to remove it

D

Deleted User

Armadillo

These release groups are scum. It happened in the past that they used pictures from homebrew devs just to spite those developers. I would not be surprised if this is the case again.

Actually if someone pulled a stunt like that I would be removing all photos too and rage quit the scene.

OK maybe not actually rage quit but I'd be mad too :P

Reactions: NEP

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Armadillo

These release groups are scum. It happened in the past that they used pictures from homebrew devs just to spite those developers. I would not be surprised if this is the case again.

Actually if someone pulled a stunt like that I would be removing all photos too and rage quit the scene.

Yeah, but someone pulled a comparison as well.

The photo the release groups had in their release was

Not one that was currently/if ever on the photostream
Has a copy of monkey ball, with an imperfection on the label
An unrelated picture, on the stream had a copy of monkey ball on the table, with the same imperfection.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/neimod-may-be-a-legacy-member.352895/page-2#post-4741158
The unrelated picture was removed and replaced, cropping monkey ball out of it.

Comparison pointing out label imperfection.

http://i41.tinypic.com/2h3aszn.jpg

So somehow, the release groups got hold of a picture, that was never public on the stream and stuck it in their release. Rather than just show the dumper they are using. The innocent party, then goes ahead and crops a completely unrelated picture, because the same copy of monkey ball is on the table. Then finally removes all pictures of the dumping setup.

So flashcart Mafia and Gangsters setting up gateway = all lies.

Release group, randomly deciding to setup neimod, rather than just show their own dumper = Truth, completely believable.

And you people say Gateway fanboys believe anything.

Reactions: Joe88

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Armadillo

those pictures have been up for a long time, both on his twitter (or whatever it was) and included with the first released roms
its when someone pointed out that the pictures were from the same source that all the pictures were suddenly removed
the pictures were not just copy and pasted from his twitter account because the pictures were different but all the background stuff was the same
it pretty much confirmed it was true

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you doubt Neimod dumped and distributed roms under the Legacy banner, you are delusional. End of discussion.

Probably dumped all 16 of the first 3DS dumps that were ever available.

You'd have to have your head pretty far stuck in the sand to not see this.

Anyway, let's get back on topic.

MrOldboy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Respected devs like Mathieulh said the 2.0b1 version did not have this brick code. If you don't want to believe them then who else can you believe?

All the past days this forum has had nothing more than spread FUD: fear uncertainty and doubt.

We need more threads with actual facts and if a mod sees a post with speculation then it should get edited to remove it

That was what I meant, if "names" in the community have posted that it did not contain it. I had only seen speculation from other users that it was. These threads move fast so its near impossible to keep up with everything. I had not seen Methieulh actually post that explictly, but if people trust its safe I'll assume it is.

iNFiNiTY

Trophies
XP
If you know neimod's history.. he's not a homebrew type in the first place. But why speculate on it further? Your personal opinions on the morality of 3DS piracy is irrelevant and theres no point trying to pin this down on people you can never prove and don't have any reason to? A lot of people involved in console hacking are warez sceners. Its a tiny minority who isn't.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: I know. Nice to see new members here, aside from the ongoing spam problem.