Hacking Gateway support for Firmware 9.0 – 9.2 Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

guitarheroknight

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
but even if what they say is true it technically still does not require new hardware you can still use the old GW card hardware , you would just need a one time downgrade and hardware to perform it once , personally i think this would be the best thing that could ever happen , it would mean we could downgrade the new3ds to 4.5 and have region free, emunand , onscreen rom menu ,instable cia's , i would gladly buy a downgrade device , and then i could start a small downgrade service to pay for it and then some ,this would be the best case scenario, funny how sky3ds team says this like it some sort of bad thing LOL
what more could we hope for? just like the ps3 scene they had the JB dongle, then you had to buy a downgrade dongle if you were above 3.41 till geohot fw came out

i like the downgrade idea the best because then
people would have more options,the could buy the downgrade device use it and resell it, pay someone with a downgrade device a small fee to downgrade their console
or buy a downgrade device and offer a downgrade service ,i seriously hope they are right

uhh lets see.. what is better option , buying a downgrade device you can use once and resell or pay a small fee for a downgrade or buy a 1:1 clone card

with sky -
no emunand so nintendo can block it anytime

no on screen rom load menu just stupid button that takes forever to find your rom and load if you have a lot of roms

no region free

no homebrew

no eshop roms

no DLC cia installs

GW if it is a downgrade option like sky says-
pay small one time downgrade fee, or buy downgrade device and resell it

get emunand ,nintendo cant block it

get onscreen rom loading menu

get region free

get homebrew
get CIA installation

get eshop roms

get DLC

get all of these features on the latest new3ds hardware

yeah i think i would rather pay for a downgrade device or pay for a console downgrade service and for a cheaper GW card
then have a shitty 1:1 clone card solution that works on 9.x native but has none of the awesome GW features

oh yeah also if its is true then what kind of hardware would this "downgrade device" be?
probably just a revised blue GW card that runs on 9.x DS mode, so it would be cheap and people who already have a dstwo like me or another 9.x compatible DS mode flashcard would not need to buy anything extra
oh boy sky3ds you sure scared me

I have personally spoken to GW and they said that no new hardware is incoming only a software update which is stated on their main page.
The guys at Sky3ds are being assholes and personally this move they made by writing that email proved what kind of people they actually are, that being said I would never buy a product from them even if it was dirt cheap.
The worst case scenario with this Gateway update is that we wont have emunand nor multirom, but even then its a better solution than buying a Sky3ds.
The Sky3ds made a very big mistake by implementing that restriction and now that Gateway made that update announcement they are bleeding out making promises about removing the 10 game limit and whatnot...
Thats what you get when youre greedy and narrow minded.

Edit: Even if what they say its true and lets say GW manages provide a downgrade to that "damn" 4.5 update we get all the functions the current GW users have now. I dont really get what they were trying to achieve by writing that email but its clear as day that the person behind the keyboard is not the brightest nulb in the box.

OuahOuah

Trophies
Website
www.ouahouah.eu
XP
Country
France
All eShop games are available on cartridge, aren't they ?

Let's hope the user exploit is for an all regions game because playing a japanese game on EU/US console will be... not cool lol

Reactions: Margen67

Azebu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
It's 100% not a downgrade, you can't downgrade a new3ds to 4.5, it would be like running windows 8 with windows xp drivers, 4.5 has no new3ds "drivers".
And if you are able to downgrade via software, then you wouldn't need a downgrade at all, you could just start any code you want on 9.X...

I'm 99% sure that gateway uses ssspwn or another game exploit and a new kernel-mode exploit to work on 9.X and that means you must buy gateway + 1 retail game.
The missing 1% is the chance that gateway found a system-exploit, like bannerbomb on wii which doesn't require you to buy a game.

I suspect they found some exploit related to themes.

Reactions: Margen67

Hanafuda

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sky3DS vs. Brickway = Win Win for the customers! Unförmigster the upcoming 9.x supporting card is at least 4 years too late. I already own all the games I want and for the next 5 Blockbuster must have- games (till the EOL of the 3DS) I do not buy a flash card now!

That's pretty much how I feel at this point. I skipped the Gateway option back at 4.5 because it wasn't possible to use it in online play. Instead I've been just buying games as my wallet allows ... considering that covers myself, my wife, my son, and my daughter, we've got a nice collection put together. I posted about it here .... I could only think of 5 other games in the current 3DS catalog that I really HAVE TO have. But there are "B-list" games that might be enjoyable for a short time even if they're not good enough to justify purchasing, so I probably will buy the Gateway now IF using it with 9.x doesn't require any compromises of my use of the console. I mean, for example ... did they ever get around the restriction against playing online??? I honestly haven't been following it so AFAIK that's still the way it is.

Mariko

Trophies
XP
Country
That person repeatedly stated that it turned out to be a contact issue in his 3DS.

Oh well. Sorry for not reading every post ever. :ha: I just remember seeing pages upon pages of discussion, and the guy buying a second 3DS, which he would then upgrade to 9.x. I just assumed someone would check the contacts first, before buying a second console. In any case, this is good news.

gtm22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
quick, do you think that oras will come with 9.x? or should i update right now?
i really wanna wait and see what is all about but i already fucked up with 4.x and i dont want that to happen again :wink:

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
quick, do you think that oras will come with 9.x? or should i update right now?
i really wanna wait and see what is all about but i already fucked up with 4.x and i dont want that to happen again :wink:

If you're not on 4.x you can just update now, but ORAS should come with the 9.x update, or 8.x at the earliest.

4gionz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That's pretty much how I feel at this point. I skipped the Gateway option back at 4.5 because it wasn't possible to use it in online play. Instead I've been just buying games as my wallet allows ... considering that covers myself, my wife, my son, and my daughter, we've got a nice collection put together. I posted about it here .... I could only think of 5 other games in the current 3DS catalog that I really HAVE TO have. But there are "B-list" games that might be enjoyable for a short time even if they're not good enough to justify purchasing, so I probably will buy the Gateway now IF using it with 9.x doesn't require any compromises of my use of the console. I mean, for example ... did they ever get around the restriction against playing online??? I honestly haven't been following it so AFAIK that's still the way it is.

Using emunand you can go online use eshop do everything

elmoemo

Trophies
XP
Country
It's 100% not a downgrade, you can't downgrade a new3ds to 4.5, it would be like running windows 8 with windows xp drivers, 4.5 has no new3ds "drivers".
And if you are able to downgrade via software, then you wouldn't need a downgrade at all, you could just start any code you want on 9.X...

I'm 99% sure that gateway uses ssspwn or another game exploit and a new kernel-mode exploit to work on 9.X and that means you must buy gateway + 1 retail game.
The missing 1% is the chance that gateway found a system-exploit, like bannerbomb on wii which doesn't require you to buy a game.
I'd guess they copied the sky3ds cards hack and coded it so that there was no limit

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I'd guess they copied the sky3ds cards hack and coded it so that there was no limit
SKY3DS works on *all* versions.
Gateway specifically states that they only promise functionality for 9.0~9.2

Thats a significant difference. And while it is no proof, it implies that they have a different workaround.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
I highly doubt a method of downgrading consoles with post 4.5 firmware as their original firmware is possible. Sure it could theoretically be, but at least the New 3DS is out of the question, since the hardware is different in the inside. Creating a downgrade method is simpler than creating a custom firmware for a console that isn't designed to be used with the more limited, old firmware :P

sj33

Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
SKY3DS works on *all* versions.
Gateway specifically states that they only promise functionality for 9.0~9.2

Thats a significant difference. And while it is no proof, it implies that they have a different workaround.
They might just be recommending people to upgrade to the latest firmware while they can. The fact that they're recommending that people using 4.x firmware stay on that firmware would suggest that the support for higher firmwares is more limited. And it's just too big of a coincidence that they make a major breakthrough within days of Sky3DS being released.

But lets wait and see.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
They might just be recommending people to upgrade to the latest firmware while they can. The fact that they're recommending that people using 4.x firmware stay on that firmware would suggest that the support for higher firmwares is more limited. And it's just too big of a coincidence that they make a major breakthrough within days of Sky3DS being released.

But lets wait and see.

They are specifically mentioning to update to 9.0, 9.1 (Japs only) OR 9.2 and then to not update further.

Danjal

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands

But lets wait and see.
I don't think its that big of a coincidence - based on what they have said before they were already working on stuff.
Perhaps they had their reasons for waiting.

Now, I would say that *BOTH* parties timed their release surrounding the New 3DS release.
Which they now could've tested on the japanese devices.
While competition may have 'forced their hand' - I do believe it is most probable that everyone involved was waiting for the New 3DS to confirm their method worked on it.

There's also the "If it isn't broken, don't fix it" approach. Why update to 9.x if you have a perfectly functional method on 4.x right now?
Not to mention that if a current Gateway user updates *now*, they won't be able to use their card untill the new update hits (which has no timeframe yet).
Though that ofcourse is pure speculation. Just as assuming that the 9.x method is gonna be more limited is speculation.

I just hope that they'll come with *something* soonish, so that some of this speculation and fingerpointing can end.
Then we can move on to debates like whether it is "worth while" to upgrade to New 3DS because of a limited library and so on lol.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So far there's only been 2 games announced that take advantage of the N3DS. Xenoblades which requires a N3DS and Majora's Mask which uses the same graphics but has some sort of upgrades or bonus things to do on the N3DS. There's no other reason to upgrade in my opinion. Loading a game slightly faster means nothing, I can keep in the sweet spot very easily for 3D so that means nothing to me also. The only reason im genuinely tempted is because of those sexy snes buttons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Welp