Hacking Gateway filesystem error 99% of the time?

joex11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
San Marino
Yeah, already contacted them but I doubt I will make it. Surely it will be really expensive to send it back. I hope I can get some % refund, so at least I can use it to launch mset while there is no public mset support for n3ds

edit: forgot to mention that I accidentaly downgraded the gw system settings accidentaly, but I presume it doesn't matter?

Last edited by joex11,

ChaosEternal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, already contacted them but I doubt I will make it. Surely it will be really expensive to send it back. I hope I can get some % refund, so at least I can use it to launch mset while there is no public mset support for n3ds

edit: forgot to mention that I accidentaly downgraded the gw system settings accidentaly, but I presume it doesn't matter?
Actually, the latest version of reiNAND added mset support for n3DS. You do need a working DS flashcart and Cubic Ninja to install it however.

indionicarao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are already considering RMA'ing the gateway, might as well just try the defrag on the SD card. It sounds crazy yes, everything dude above said about defragging SSD is true. The thing is though, your SD card is NOT an SSD, it is NOT being used to run an operating system from it. The likely scenario is you will transfer some files to the SD card and they will be in there for a few weeks, months even? Before needing to get deleted? I was having this issue and the google wizard told me to defrag my SD card and the problem would go away. First thing that popped in my head is That's fucking nuts. But guess what, for me, it worked.

Will you be adding A LOT of wear and tear to your SD card? Sure. Is this a reasonable price to pay for what you want to do? Only you can answer that.

What i did to lessen the extent of the wear to the SD card is I tried it with a single File first. I copied the file, tried to launch it: filesystem error.
I defragged the SD card tried again and bamF! that shit worked. tickle me pink. I transferred over the remaining files i wanted (Filled the card to 90% of capacity) and then--just to be sure--I tried to launch the new games without defragging. Some games showed up on the list. a couple of them launched, a lot of them gave the same filesystem error. I defragged the SD card and sure enough they all worked.

Your mileage may vary.

joex11

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
San Marino
Sorry for the delay, but I solved the problem using adhesive tape on my msd. gateway probably is having some space between the msd and the reader.
Thanks everyone for the help.

Reactions: Rpy360

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
-snippity-

Thank you for the very indepth explanation as to why one should not Defragment this particular type of storage. I was aware of these issues; albeit not in that much detail!

But in all honesty, i do beleive that sacrificing a couple of read/write cycles on the OPs SD card will outweigh the cost of purchasing a new SD card and/or the headaches associated with RMAing his Gateway cart :) Just my opinion.

Maximilious

Whistles a familiar tune
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the very indepth explanation as to why one should not Defragment this particular type of storage. I was aware of these issues; albeit not in that much detail!

But in all honesty, i do beleive that sacrificing a couple of read/write cycles on the OPs SD card will outweigh the cost of purchasing a new SD card and/or the headaches associated with RMAing his Gateway cart :) Just my opinion.

Right, it wasn't until after I wrote all of that I realized we were talking SD card and not an SSD drive haha. But yeah, got some training from work on the internals of SSD's and it definitely stuck!

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
2 Possible issues and fixes.

1. Remove all 3ds rom files from microsd, format microSD to exfat (default settings), then move all files at once. test again.

or

2. Happened to me = Bought a 128gb Samsung SD card off ebay, turned out to be a fake and it only had like 8gb of memory. So I moved all of my roms and sure, they appeared on the SD card, but all the data was lost (re-wrote itself) so gateway could not launch any roms.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I did that yesterday and I got error on SD Test. And then one time I got an ok on the 4gb card, which I used to do the mset thing. I always eject my rom cards too.
I will test once again and post here

EDIT: Yep, sd fail once again
AFAIK, SD test will fail unless you have GW_testrom.3ds on the mSD, it uses that file for the test. I might be wrong on that though.
Also, I see you found a workaround, it seems like the pins inside the slot may have gotten bent a little. I guess there's not much you can do about that since the slot is too small for you to be able to bend the pins back into place with a toothpick or similar. Best just try not to take the mSD card out more than neccessary so you don't make the problem worse.

Reactions: Rpy360

Rpy360

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Sorry for the delay, but I solved the problem using adhesive tape on my msd. gateway probably is having some space between the msd and the reader.
Thanks everyone for the help.
Same issue here. Spent far too long formatting my SD card over and over until I realized that pushing down on the slot worked.

If modchipcentral doesn't rma my card I'm probably going to tape a label over my card to make it thicker.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?