Hacking Gateway and 5.1 Advice

Triavalon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm sure everyone is this section has read the recent announcement about the Gateway 3DS. If not, here. But, after reading it, I think I've come across the same problem as a few (very few) people, namely, I am right in the middle of the two updates they mentioned.

Now, with a normal flashcart, this would not be an issue, just wait for the 6 release to come out and enjoy the fruits of backwards compatibility. The Gateway is different though. It modifies the firmware, which is heavily dependent on the version thereof. As such the 6 version might not be compatible with the 5.1 firmware. In fact, it very likely won't be. On the other end, 6.1 release just came out, so I can't update to 6 and wait with complete certainty that the 6 release will work when it is released.

So, I need advice from the hopefully helpful people of the forums. Should I remain at 5.1, hoping that the 4.5 or 6 releases are compatible, or should I update to 6.1 and hope that it works with the 6 version?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The GW3DS modifies the 3DS' firmware? Where was this mentioned?

Stick to the 5.X firmware until a firmware update is out for the GW3DS. Then see if it works on the latest 6.2 firmware. That way you'll either get to use the GW3DS, or get to use the GW3DS on the latest firmware. Instead of updating and having the possibility that you won't be able to use it at all.

Triavalon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't that that what the blue chip is for, and why they mention it being to dependent on the firmware? I might be confused, but I figured since the blue chip is only used once, it must modify the firmware to make it accept the red chip. 'Exploit based' isn't very informative, in any case.

That sounds like good logic, waiting for confirmation of the 6.x version supported before doing it. I just hope Nintendo doesn't launch 7 right before 6.x compatibility is proven or disproven.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't that that what the blue chip is for, and why they mention it being to dependent on the firmware? I might be confused, but I figured since the blue chip is only used once, it must modify the firmware to make it accept the red chip. 'Exploit based' isn't very informative, in any case.

That sounds like good logic, waiting for confirmation of the 6.x version supported before doing it. I just hope Nintendo doesn't launch 7 right before 6.x compatibility is proven or disproven.
If the blue card was able to change the firmware, then that would be a much bigger improvement than what we have now. They say it's dependent on the firmware, most likely because the blue card requires an exploit that was patched afterwards.

But don't hold your breath for the ability to have a current firmware. I expect Nintendo to be releasing a bunch of new firmwares once Gateway is released.

Triavalon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The blue card wasn't used in the video each time before the red card, which is why I think it might affect the firmware, but maybe not the whole system. Something must get changed to allow permanent access to the red card, otherwise the blue card would have to be used each time, like the old gamesharks. Even if I'm wrong and the blue cart is needed each time, due to some problem arising after the video was made perhaps, it is still amazing though.

Nintendo watching is one of the reasons I wanted to get 6.1 before it got moved up to 7. Nintendo has more staff members than I have waking hours, so they are sure to have 7 out right as Gateway announces any patch.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I assume it's just in RAM (like the PSP stuff was for a while), so it's lost after a shutdown, and thus the patch fixing the original hole stops it from being used anymore (since it can't be launched in RAM).

And I'm going to be honest: Do not expect it to work. If you want a Gateway, buy an older 3DS. The "we'll get it working" is the same BS we've seen from flash cart teams for years. The big exploit was killed in 5.x, we've known that for ages. Another one that functions the same has not popped up yet (which is why the 3dbrew wiki urges devs to stay on 4.x).

Triavalon

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So pretty much anyway I go, I probably won't get it to work. Good to know. Well, I'll guess I'll stay on 5.1 then and hope that they do release the 6 version and that it does work with 5.1.

Yamagushi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't stress it, as there is still no solid evidence the thing even exists. Right now its in the final countdown to see if it was a hell of an elaborate scam or not.

Reactions: xcrimsonstormx

xcrimsonstormx

He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hell of an elaborate scam or not.

I like that you used the word elaborate very nice word. But my opinion is until all of this Gateway stuff comes down is that if the Gateway is never released and this turns out to be a fake will you still be happy with you 3DS? Because I see that if all of this turns out to be a scam I can see a lot of 3DS's being sold on here and on ebay, but if this turns out to be legit and works I can see the 3DS with the "special firmware" being sold probably at around 300 to 350 dollars just because of Gateway.

totalnoob617

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I assume it's just in RAM (like the PSP stuff was for a while), so it's lost after a shutdown, and thus the patch fixing the original hole stops it from being used anymore (since it can't be launched in RAM).

And I'm going to be honest: Do not expect it to work. If you want a Gateway, buy an older 3DS. The "we'll get it working" is the same BS we've seen from flash cart teams for years. The big exploit was killed in 5.x, we've known that for ages. Another one that functions the same has not popped up yet (which is why the 3dbrew wiki urges devs to stay on 4.x).

wouldnt surprise me if they do get it working but that it will be like cfw on ps3 where you have to have 4.5 or below like you have to have 3.55 or below to install a newer cfw

xcrimsonstormx

He called me a Nerd, I called him an Ambulance.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's gonna suck if you have to use something like a flasher or you have to install a modchip. What ever happened to exploiting through SD card slot like for the PSP did they ever find an exploit for the DSi?

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
It's gonna suck if you have to use something like a flasher or you have to install a modchip. What ever happened to exploiting through SD card slot like for the PSP did they ever find an exploit for the DSi?
They did, but it only worked with a downloaded eshop title, which got pulled and patched so no new machines can get it, and it's estimated only ~250 or so DSi units have the exploit installed.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Wow 250 for a DSi that's crazy I can get a 3ds brand new cheaper than that.
... 250 units. 250 DSi units. As in, there are approximately less than two hundred and fifty DSis out that there have the exploit installed, because it was only available for a limited time and cannot be installed anymore.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Like for micro